PDA

View Full Version : Called in sick - third week of new job

GirlAfraid23
19-09-16, 12:08
I've had an awful virus all weekend. I actually had to go away for a hen weekend and couldn't it enjoy it at all, I left early because I felt so bad.

Thought I'd sleep it off last night, so went to bed early, however woke up drenched in sweat several times and a really chesty cough (colds always go to my chest!) went back to sleep but woke up at 5:30am feeling very odd, like I was spinning while laying in the bed,. I sat up and the room felt like it had moved sideways, as though I was on a ship. I managed to drag myself to the toilet and realised any movement of the head caused extreme giddiness and an off balanced feeling.
I couldn't move from the laying down position so obviously realised it was vertigo as one of my ears is ringing too. I hope it's nothing worse, but of course the words stroke and brain tumour came to mind.

I called into work as I really didn't see how I would get there. I can't drive and at that point I couldn't even get up, let alone walk 2 miles or get a bus.
I know it looks so bad, especially when they knew I was on a hen weekend. I even said 'I don't know what state I'll be in on Monday!" as a joke when I left on Friday.
I left a voicemail as no one was in at that time. But I also text the head (I work in a school) and she just replied with 'thanks for letting me know' nothing about 'get well soon' oops.
My eyes feel weird and I hate this dizzy feeling. Plus the uncomfortable chest too.
I'm going to the doctors at 13:45 so I hope he gives me some medication. Trying to keep my catastrophising at bay.

One, has anyone had experience of vertigo? And two, any opinions or reassurance on the calling in sick? Should I get a doctors note? Or does that look over the top?

---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 ----------

Anybody?

Carrie8484
19-09-16, 14:47
Hi love
I have vertigo (amongst other conditions) and it's horrid. Having a cold or respiratory virus makes it much worse. You're better of trying not move when you feel so spinny. Maybe
Try a decongestant as that can help open up your airways which should help the vertigo.
I'm sure it'll pass when you start feeling better. Doctors don't know how to treat vertigo it seems. You can try exercises (look on you tube) if it continues. There are a few meds that you can try too.

I suffer with migraine, and A bad one can leave me in bed for 3 days. When I started my last job a few years ago, after a few weeks I woke up on a Monday morning with a bad migraine. My boss and all my colleagues didn't believe me and thought I was hungover. (I don't even drink). They asked me to come into work at lunchtime... That's how disbelieving they were. I would say if you can get a doctors note, do it. Or you can ask for proof that you've been to see a GP. Now I keep all my medical letters for appointments etc so whenever my boss doesn't believe me I can show him letters demonstrating that I'm being investigated or treated for certain conditions. X

MyNameIsTerry
19-09-16, 14:53
You won't need a FIT note from your GP unless you are off long enough, otherwise it's a self signing certificate and that's to cover the first 5 days once you've been off for 4. Usually under 4 days an employer needs nothing but obviously refer to your company policy on absence reporting.

An employer may be skeptical about this situation with it being off the back of what you told them but there is nothing they can do about it since they can't prove one way of the other whether you are actually ill or pulling a sickie for a hangover. What they have to look for is a way they can address absence and with those that pull drunken sickies they look for a pattern of short absences, usually Monday or Friday only absences.

It's human nature to wonder, so you'll have to accept that but unless they see it repeating, it's no big deal to them and they will quickly forget it. It just becomes part of your absence record and treated the same as any other ones so won't be an issue unless it pushes over any spine points that mean they can take an action per your policy.