PDA

View Full Version : Could it have worked so quick?

DoodleDoo
20-09-16, 03:05
As you would see from other messages I posted, the 20mg Cit seems to have sorted me out in around 4 months. Initial dreadful side effects for weeks then a sudden calm after around 10 weeks with the odd relapse. I now take 20mg every day just as habit, and they have no negative effect on me at all - like taking a paracetamol. (as opposed to the diarrhoea, hallucinations, nausea, etc etc, which happened for the first two months)

I did make a big life change which took away the things that were causing me the anxiety, but I now don't know if it is that change that has made me better or if it is simply the Cit that is doing it.

I sort of can't see the point of continuing to take drugs I don't need, or whether it is the drugs that are fixing me. I have gone from suicidal thoughts every day to feeling 99% normal in this time. My new job has pressure, but my reaction to that is to deal with it.

I'm looking for responses from people who went on then off Cit and what the outcome was - I am seriously thinking of tapering off since I don't think I need them now. I don't want to be one of the people who need them for years, but i also don't want to come off and reset back to where I was before.

Cheers for any help/comments.

rockandahardplace
20-09-16, 03:14
You said it yourself in the sense that before the citalopam you felt anxious and suicidal and after the 20mg and 4 month duration you felt improved. Once medication kicks in and starts to help it's not uncommon for people to doubt the need for medication, but it's clear that it's working.

All guidelines say that 6 months should be the minimum time to maintain an AD with tapering as an imperative as instructed by a doctor. I was on that medication and escitalopram and I regret coming off it so soon.

DoodleDoo
20-09-16, 03:28
Thanks for your reply.
When you say you regret coming off early - do you mean you thought you were now OK and as soon as you stopped you felt bad again? I haven't much confidence in my doctor - he simply asked me what I wanted and then gave it to me, so his advice on when to come off (to me) is worthless given he is simply trying to get rid of me in a 5 minute appointment slot. Cheers! (UPDATE: by this I mean, I was initially given Sertraline, which was horrific - so I simply went back and asked for Cit, which he gave me no question).

rockandahardplace
20-09-16, 03:37
As soon as I discontinued I felt worse! But I tried rationalising that maybe there's past issues that need to be addressed. Most GPS are poorly trained in prescribing psychiatric medication.

hanshan
20-09-16, 05:05
Antidepressants aren't a permanent cure, so there is the possibility that if you stop taking your med, your old state will reassert itself.

Some things to consider are the length and intensity of your illness before you started the antidepressant. If you felt quite ill over an extended period, that is an indication to be very cautious about tapering off, now that you are feeling okay.

Personally, I wouldn't want to upset the status quo, if things are going well. And always consult with your doctor about any possible changes.

Debs21uk
20-09-16, 20:41
Hi,

I was a long term cit user but I did try to come off it on a couple of occasions, each time I ended up back where I started. I would strongly stress therapy of some form as it leaves you better placed to face problems in the future. I was never offered this and now after another episode of depression/anxiety I'm having to change medication as the last one stopped working. The meds help but they don't change the underlying issues, have a good think about how you could cope better in the future, I wish I had.

Best of luck x

MyNameIsTerry
20-09-16, 22:49
I was in Cit 20mg for a few years after my first breakdown. It took time to work but things did get better and I returned to work. This was what gave me back my confidence but I also avoided exposing myself to shine triggers and dug deep into my work, another avoidance I later found.

I came off the Cit and relapsed 6 months later. The first few months were fine but then the signs started.

I never had any therapy, just meds and a GP giving me the standard encouragements. This meant I never learned about what I needed to tackle and it was lurking away underneath. I think now I would have made a prolonged decrease to see what happened rather than just come off because if I struggled it would point to more work needed rather than starting from scratch.

R1CH
21-09-16, 16:20
As you would see from other messages I posted, the 20mg Cit seems to have sorted me out in around 4 months. Initial dreadful side effects for weeks then a sudden calm after around 10 weeks with the odd relapse. I now take 20mg every day just as habit, and they have no negative effect on me at all - like taking a paracetamol. (as opposed to the diarrhoea, hallucinations, nausea, etc etc, which happened for the first two months)

I did make a big life change which took away the things that were causing me the anxiety, but I now don't know if it is that change that has made me better or if it is simply the Cit that is doing it.

I sort of can't see the point of continuing to take drugs I don't need, or whether it is the drugs that are fixing me. I have gone from suicidal thoughts every day to feeling 99% normal in this time. My new job has pressure, but my reaction to that is to deal with it.

I'm looking for responses from people who went on then off Cit and what the outcome was - I am seriously thinking of tapering off since I don't think I need them now. I don't want to be one of the people who need them for years, but i also don't want to come off and reset back to where I was before.

Cheers for any help/comments.

Hi, I went off cit after about 10 years and I regretted that in a massive way as I had a breakdown and ended up in hospital. Once you find something that is working I would stick to it. I am still struggling to stabilize after I again started to mess around with my meds, when will I learn! the problem is when you feel good you think you are fixed. I am also having psychotherapy but it doesn't appear to be helping.

HTH

Rich

Mojo61
21-09-16, 17:59
I've been on citalopram for almost 6 months and I certainly don't plan on coming off of it any time soon. My doctor said at least a year before attempting to come off, but if something is working why run the risk of a relapse? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :winks:

Mermaid16
02-10-16, 09:39
Hi Doodle! My opinion would be to stay on it for at least 12 months. You will more than likely feel discontinuation syndrome as well when you stop. You don't just discontinue and continue feeling great. The discontinuation would probably be mild given the length of time. Another thing to consider is that if you come off it and then decide to try again because of relapse of original symptoms, the drugs don't always work as well the second time round. It is obviously you decision and you know your body and circumstances better than anyone, but I wouldn't make a quick decision to stop. Tracy x