PDA

View Full Version : Worry time

eleveno
21-09-16, 09:44
I know that one of the methods to deal with anxiety is to have a worry time, where one dedicates each day a specific time to write about worries. Has anyone here any experience with it?

Kuatir
21-09-16, 10:17
I've heard of it, but never tried it. I would guess that it would be something that would work over time once you've trained yourself that you have one time a day to think about your worries. I reckon it would make you better at dealing with the worries too.

sidiam
21-09-16, 10:22
Hi,
I did this as part of therapy when I was in a mh clinic.
We were in a group and could so could support each other. It never seemed to work, I ended up worrying about the "worry time" and forgetting to write things down.
I have no will power to cope with such things...'tho I am sure others have more and better experiences. I think there has been a discussion about it before on NMP.
take care
Sxx

lil-bubble
21-09-16, 12:17
Hi,

It was suggested that I try worry time. I couldn't cope with the idea of putting my thoughts in writing for fear of someone seeing them. Irrational I know! but it made worry time a non starter for me

MyNameIsTerry
21-09-16, 12:23
I could never do it as I couldn't turn my worries off the rest of the time. Some people can do it and if it's beneficial, it's worth trying.

There are other threads about it where some have been able to use it or not as sidiam says.

---------- Post added at 12:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 ----------

Hi,

It was suggested that I try worry time. I couldn't cope with the idea of putting my thoughts in writing for fear of someone seeing them. Irrational I know! but it made worry time a non starter for me

I found that did help me because getting it out of my head stopped me going back to the beginning after a conclusion was reached over & over again. If felt more real on paper so I could get closure. Thought Records work well for this.

You won't be alone in the fear others could read them especially those with more emotive intrusive thoughts. Could you perhaps write them and destroy them afterwards?

lil-bubble
21-09-16, 13:14
Hi Terry,

I found my anxiety increased from the fear of someone reading my thoughts (or even the thought someone might question what I was writing), this would then become a new pointless worry circle.

However, I hadn't considered destroying what I put on paper so I will keep the idea in mind. The theory of worry time does make sense to me, for that reason I would suggest that individuals try it for themselves.... Nothing ventured, nothing gained