PDA

View Full Version : Dislocated Elbow

Lifelonganxiety!
21-09-16, 19:14
Been a while since I've been here...

I dislocated my elbow over the weekend, put it back in a few minutes later just by moving my arm. I had it evaluated and an X-ray which said possible fracture, not determined.

My question is to anyone who has had a dislocation before, as I'm concerned by the sensations and swelling. It's been three days and theres still a lot of swelling on the elbow and down the forearm, as well as a slight pins and needles feeling. Not a lot of pain unless I move suddenly, I presume this is ligament and muscle damage.

So really, how long and how much swelling is normal and when does it need to be properly evaluated again?

Mrschurchill
21-09-16, 20:05
Oooh elbow pain is so painful!! I had tennis elbow a couple of months ago and it was so sore!

NancyW
21-09-16, 20:15
I broke my elbow 2 years ago by slipping on the ice down concrete steps and catching myself on my elbow.

I had a displaced olecranon (pointy tip) fracture, it required surgery, wires ands pins to put it back together.

I had never broken a bone before so I didn't know what to expect.

What I learned was the elbow is a complex joint. There is a muscle and tendon attached to the olecranon and when it cracks, very often the muscle and tendon pull it out of place. If that has not happened to you, you are very lucky.

I also learned that no matter how fit I think I am, holding my arm in one position for a couple weeks made it lock into place, I needed several weeks of therapy and near constant work to get it to loosen back up.

I couldn't believe how badly my hand and wrist were affected, one would have thought THEY were injured too.. nope. just elbow

My surgeon said "it will be a very long time before you can wear your wedding ring" The swelling in my hand and arm went on WAY longer then I had patience for. I still don't trust it not to puff up.

Your injury doesn't sound as severe, but taking proper care of it is very important to the function of your hand and arm.

Lifelonganxiety!
21-09-16, 20:19
Ouch, sounds like you had it worse than me for sure. The X-Ray said there might be a non-displaced fracture but they couldn't tell for sure. Just a lot of trauma all over my arm.

I guess this is just the healing process of swelling, pins and needles and different sensations. Thanks for the replies!

NancyW
21-09-16, 20:31
Ouch, sounds like you had it worse than me for sure. The X-Ray said there might be a non-displaced fracture but they couldn't tell for sure. Just a lot of trauma all over my arm.

I guess this is just the healing process of swelling, pins and needles and different sensations. Thanks for the replies!

Make sure to get the pins and needles checked out, my surgeon asked me about that frequently, it lets them know if there is nerve impingement apparently the ulna nerve runs through the bone at some point.

Sure could be the trauma to the area though... who'd have thought - elbow? ya know?