PDA

View Full Version : the best part time work pattern if you suffer from anxiety

CleoD
21-09-16, 21:10
hi there,

just interested in anyone who stopped working full time for anxiety depression reasons and returned to work on a part time basis.. do you think its better to do part time work in chunks example wed/ thur/ fri or to spread out the days a bit..... so that you have breaks between days...

I gave up my full time job earlier this year.. and so pleased I did as it was making me so anxious and stressed out ... but thinking of trying a new role that is part time.. the employer is ok if I choose my work pattern.. would welcome thoughts advice... I mainly suffer from a feeling that I cant cope... feel like I am going to burst.. empty retching etc.. but once I am up and out it tends to get better................

any suggestions welcome.
Thanks Cleo xo

Lisah34
21-09-16, 23:04
My job got on top of me and i was off sick for a month! Went back on reduced hours and continued as i loved it so much. I wouldnt say im recovered, i have my bad days but my anxiety is managable. I now do 20 hours over 4 days, my supervisor dont rota me in weekends anymore which mean more time with my children. Do whats best for you!! Your health is so much more importnant

CleoD
22-09-16, 09:35
Thanks Lisa34,

just curious, do you find it easier to work more days but less hours in the day.. so 4 days times 5 hours or less days more hours... I also have a son aged 8 at school so with you re trying to spend time with them.

thanks a lot

PunkyFish
22-09-16, 12:50
hi there,

just interested in anyone who stopped working full time for anxiety depression reasons and returned to work on a part time basis.. do you think its better to do part time work in chunks example wed/ thur/ fri or to spread out the days a bit..... so that you have breaks between days...

I gave up my full time job earlier this year.. and so pleased I did as it was making me so anxious and stressed out ... but thinking of trying a new role that is part time.. the employer is ok if I choose my work pattern.. would welcome thoughts advice... I mainly suffer from a feeling that I cant cope... feel like I am going to burst.. empty retching etc.. but once I am up and out it tends to get better................

any suggestions welcome.
Thanks Cleo xo

Hi :)

I'm currently off work at the moment due to anxiety and low mood. My job is a full time office job which I've been there a few years now. Work makes me anxious and stressed out and have thought about going back part time as well. Working part time is a great way to get back into the world of work. It means less hours and hopefully less stress. If the employer is ok about the work pattern then this is great news as you can choose the work hours or days according to how you feel. I can't really tell you about what days or hours you should work as only you can decide this.

All the best. :)

GaryP
22-09-16, 23:29
hi there,

any suggestions welcome.
Thanks Cleo xo

I'm new to No More Panic, as I think I think it might help to read peoples views on anxiety. This one from you I can relate too. I have been in a job for 11 months, I work 22.5 hours, Mon-Fri 1245 - 1715, and will do overtime if I feel up to it. I think this is good because it keeps me in a routine, and I have less time to worry, however If I was to do 9-5 I reckon I'd quit fairly soon. The reason for that is because my mind would be too occupied with work, and work means stress which isn't exactly ideal for someone who is not immune to anxiety.

If you can live off part time hours, then it makes sense to work part time hours.:yesyes:

CleoD
23-09-16, 15:10
Thanks gary
that is really helpful.. and i get what you mean about routine..
I am finding that when i have time on my hands I think too much/ get panicky etc.. so am trying to decide what the best option is..

If anyone else has ever received medical advice on this let me know!

keep well
Cleo