PDA

View Full Version : CBT reject !

lil-bubble
21-09-16, 22:33
Sorry its a bit of a self pity post.

Started group CBT 3 weeks ago, turned myself inside out to force myself to attend the first 2 weeks. Tonight 3rd session and first 1-2-1 appt. Actually opened up a bit (this is massively rare for me). Ended by being told the group isn't right for me ! Wish I hadn't bothered.

I really don't know why I'm surprised. It's just somewhere else I don't fit in.

My anxiety has been overwhelming this week but at least felt for once, I had done some in the right direction to help me manage it.

Initially I was upset when i left, then a little anger, now i just feel despondent :meh:

Sorry if posted in wrong place I'm still new to this

MyNameIsTerry
21-09-16, 23:23
That would bring mixed emotions to any of us. You reach out for help and it takes weeks before they even tell you this? So, they like wasting NHS funds and delaying treatment for both you and someone else in the queue?!!! That's the point of initial assessment and the initial referral.

Why did they say it wasn't right for you? Because you need something more intensive, tailored or a different form of therapy altogether?

Kathryn313
21-09-16, 23:30
When I started 1:1 CBT, the therapist did mention that it was possible that I may have some unresolved grief issues that might present themselves. If that was the case then might need to work on that before any behavioural therapy would work. Did they suggest an alternative for you to persue?

lil-bubble
22-09-16, 00:01
That would bring mixed emotions to any of us. You reach out for help and it takes weeks before they even tell you this? So, they like wasting NHS funds and delaying treatment for both you and someone else in the queue?!!! That's the point of initial assessment and the initial referral.

Why did they say it wasn't right for you? Because you need something more intensive, tailored or a different form of therapy altogether?

I initially had some counselling (with trainee counsellor!) after 6 out of 8 sessions she said she didn't feel she could help me but thought I'd benefit from CBT, group sessions had much shorter waiting list. Tonight I was told i needed a different therapy, although he wasn't sure what that would be but group CBT sessions were not right for me. It was hard enough to attend in the first place without being made to feel like a reject the first time i really open up.

---------- Post added 22-09-16 at 00:01 ---------- Previous post was 21-09-16 at 23:36 ----------

When I started 1:1 CBT, the therapist did mention that it was possible that I may have some unresolved grief issues that might present themselves. If that was the case then might need to work on that before any behavioural therapy would work. Did they suggest an alternative for you to persue?

As I said, he wasn't sure what therapy I need and he'd call me hopefully next week. This will most likely me another long waiting list.

Mercime
22-09-16, 17:27
I initially had some counselling (with trainee counsellor!) after 6 out of 8 sessions she said she didn't feel she could help me but thought I'd benefit from CBT, group sessions had much shorter waiting list. Tonight I was told i needed a different therapy, although he wasn't sure what that would be but group CBT sessions were not right for me. It was hard enough to attend in the first place without being made to feel like a reject the first time i really open up.

---------- Post added 22-09-16 at 00:01 ---------- Previous post was 21-09-16 at 23:36 ----------

As I said, he wasn't sure what therapy I need and he'd call me hopefully next week. This will most likely me another long waiting list.

I would have hit the roof - so sorry you have been messed around like this. Is there anyone further up you can complain to? If this was a trainee, he should be overseen by an accredited therapist/ psychologist. They should know how badly this has affected you. Hope it gets sorted x

MyNameIsTerry
26-09-16, 07:21
I think you should use this to get further up the list for your next therapy as this is unfair on you.

When I was referred for CBT by the GP I got there to be told I couldn't have CBT because no GP could authorise that because I had to have Guided Self Help first. This is because Guided Self Help is Level 2 and real CBT is classed as Level 3 on the NICE Stepped Care Model.

I went with it anyway. The lady who assessed me said I needed Level 3 CBT but I couldn't access it without passing through Level 2 first! I know this is rubbish now because other services advance people straight to Level 3 based on the needs of the individual. I didn't and tried the Level 2 out.

I get to the end of this thinking "great, it's helped a bit and now I can access the expected treatment" to then be told it would take another 3 months on the waiting list. This was months into the start from referral (my GP surgery lost 2 referrals before too).

At this point I complained to my GP. I didn't see why I had to go into the list at the point of ending the Level 2 treatment. As I found out, this was just the bureaucratic nonsense found in the public sector which allows them to have people showing as "being treated" because they are off the waiting list. I even said I would go private for a few months, if needed, as I wanted help and I could use my works sick pay anyway.

My GP referred me to the CMHT, who are Level 4+. The therapy service had already told me the CMHT would be an absolute no chance as they have a 12 month waiting list. This was confirmed by the lovely helpful CMHT nurse who called me to discuss my case. She said I didn't need them and should be with the therapy service continuing with the Level 3 treatment of CBT.

She called the manager of the service because of the delays to be told "no chance, we are full". She said she would call me back the next day after making more enquiries. Funnily enough the next day I get a phone call from the therapy service saying all of a sudden they could fit me in a week later. So, no more 3 month wait for a therapy I should have already started if they didn't manage their service in such a bureaucratic manner.

I thank the CMHT nurse for that, whatever she did, it worked.

I said all along I didn't want to take someone else's place because I knew how bad I was suffering and it wouldn't be fair to someone else. It did annoy me that when I started looking up therapists for CBT to pay to bridge the gap I mentioned and found ones from the exact same therapy service taking private patients...but that's all NHS budget issues I guess. It doesn't look good when you are a patient struggling though.

So, I would bare this in mind with your case. Look at the points where they failed. They should never have pushed you into a treatment that was not suitable. Think about it from a physical illness point of view - would they work their way through a list of treatments they knew wouldn't be suitable? No, they go straight to the ones they believe are needed. Use that against them in pushing for treatment sooner.

I know this is the last thing you need, but it can work. I was off work because of issues just like this, constant fighting against a system making your life hard, it was the last thing I needed but I somehow found the strength to fight a little and it paid off.