PDA

View Full Version : Work anxiety update

positivegirly
22-09-16, 08:04
Hi guys, I wanted to post an update to my previous thread, I'm now coming towards the end of week 2 in my new job and I'm still not sure it's the right job for me. My anxiety has continued to sit with me night and day, I'm still waking up at stupid hours of the morning worrying about everything and I can't seem to relax at all, even in the evenings when I get home I'm going over and over work in my mind. I have only been there 2 weeks and I think I'm feeling very overwhelmed with all the new information, new people and trying to fit in and get up to speed with everyone else. My partner said he thinks I'm too hard on myself and should take one day at a time, he said mistakes are likely to happen in the first few weeks/months of a new job because I'm still learning and I will learn from my mistakes. I know he is right but I just can't seem to take that advice and go with it! It's almost as if I'm beating myself up that I'm not able to do the job perfectly well on my own straight away! How mad is that?! And I know it! But that awful little anxiety person sitting on my shoulder is laughing at me and telling me this will always be like this...you will never pick this job up....you will fail...you can't do it. I hate it because I know I'm not silly and I have been trying my absolute best to learn these past couple of weeks, iv picked up small parts of the job really well but other parts I'm feeling lost, although Iv been shown a few times some things I just don't get straight away and I'm scared to do things alone In case I make a mistake. The job isn't a job I can take my time with either, I'm a receptionist so I have a queue of people in front of me most of the day which adds to the pressure of getting up to speed. I also have a phone ringing most of the day which has to be answered and the whole department is just the busiest place I have ever worked. My manager has told me the department I'm in is the busiest of them all and that's why I'm there, they will see how I cope and then any other department I go to after this one will be much easier. I guess that's a good way to start! Thrown in at the deep end! So I guess from writing all this I'm realising I'm probably trying to run before I can walk, 2 weeks is not enough time to learn everything and I'm determined not to run away from the job. I did that before in a previous job and it didn't get me anywhere. I need to make this work because I'm getting married in a months time and need to afford my own place with my hubby to be, yep more stress on top of the job! But I think my problem is I'm already fretting it's going to take me months and months to pick it up, I feel like I'm bugging everyone all the time asking for help and question after question, they look at me like "oh what now?!" But Iv been told that asking questions is good because that's the only way I will learn! Oh my goodness I'm so stressed out right now, I'm hoping this will all come together soon and I can go back to a more calmer life! Thanks for listening guys xx

lil-bubble
22-09-16, 10:36
Hi,

First off, congratulations ! New job, getting married , new home on the horizon. All massive changes, some of the most difficult anyone faces in life so hardly surprising your feeling stressed.

As for work, 2 weeks isn't enough time to know everything in any new job, especially when it's so intense. Your manager acknowledged that you've been dropped in the deep end and your swimming :). Don't be so hard on yourself, credit yourself with what you have achieved.

I know it's easier said than done but with your job being so busy and intense you barely have time to breath so try to find a way to switch of when you get home from work, maybe a nice bubble bath?. After all there is no more can be done about work when you're not there so save your energy for when you are.

You're doing great ! xx

positivegirly
24-09-16, 23:54
Thank you for your kind reply, i have managed my second week so im rewarding myself with a chilled weekend off! 1st one iv had off in ages as iv always worked weekends! But I did go out wedding shopping which is quite sressful! Especially when you can't get what you need!

I know I'm hard on myself, I have this overwhelming fear of doing things wrong or making a mistake then getting into trouble so it's hard for me to switch off from work, I guess I'm always in fear of trouble lurking around the corner.

I am picking things up in the job but very slowly and again that's me trying to learn everything all at once so I'm not seen as the silly new girl who knows nothing and is a pain for keeping on asking question after question!

I guess I have a lot of paranoid thoughts, people don't like me, people are talking about me, I'm getting on everyone's nerves, il never fit in..it goes on and on. It drives me crazy and makes me miserable.

I'm not giving up though, I'm going to keep my head up, keep trying, ask all the questions I need to and give it my best shot. I have given myself a time frame of 6months to a year-if I still don't feel the job is for me then I will look elsewhere, I won't leave without something else lined up. I think that's sensible :-) xx

georgewing
25-09-16, 11:39
Yea your partner has right at begining every job its dificult and i would sugest yu to not let you influenced by your anxiety because it want you to be afraid to give up on good things etc .Stay more in your actual job and over time maybe you will like it