PDA

View Full Version : Brain Tumor / Seizures

Sunflowerz
22-09-16, 13:53
My partner has suffered 2 seizures in 2 weeks, despite never having them before. He's has a CT scan which didn't show anything but I keep worrying that it's a brain tumor :( Would a CT scan definitely pick one up??

I just feel very anxious all the time in case he has another alone and what if it was a missed tumor?? Someone reassure me I'm just panicking over nothing so I stop feeling anxious?

He's on medication for depression if that matters?

Leafers
22-09-16, 20:23
Yes. It would, medications can cause mild to severe side effects. CT scan would definitely pick up a brain tumor though.

Sunflowerz
23-09-16, 12:37
Thank you for your reply!

So it is possible it's a side affect of medication rather than something as serious as a brain tumor?

I feel stupid for worrying about it , seeing as the CT was clear :(.

Gary A
23-09-16, 12:52
Thank you for your reply!

So it is possible it's a side affect of medication rather than something as serious as a brain tumor?

I feel stupid for worrying about it , seeing as the CT was clear :(.

A clear CT scan certainly points away from the cause being a brain tumour. Seizures can be caused by a whole host of things, a lot of seizures actually don't even originate in the brain. There are also seizures that aren't seizures at all, known as non-epileptic or disassociative seizures. These are essentially illusions created in the mind of the patient that are so strong they mimick actual seizure symptoms.

A diagnosis of epilepsy will only come after your husband has suffered 3 or more seizures. Most people in this instance will be given an MRI scan and a long term EEG recording to monitor any rogue electrical firing within certain regions of the brain.

It's unlikely that these seizures are caused by medication, but not overly impossible either. The possibility is slightly higher given that your husband had no seizure activity before taking the medication and also the fact he seems to have started seizing at a fairly older age. Most people start getting seizures as children or very young adults.

I would ensure that he seeks answers about this. It's very highly unlikely to be caused by anything as sinister as a brain tumour, but seizures can be highly disturbing events. It's imperative that he finds answers and begins treatment if required.

Sunflowerz
23-09-16, 13:23
Thanks for your response.

It's right that he suffered no seizures until taking the SSRI. We're not married, but live together. He's 19, so I'd have thought too old now to start having seizures suddenly?

Though I do think the CT showed some atrophy in the Hippocampus possibly caused by depression, but was told only slight. But was told no masses, or bleeds and told us it was just epilepsy. He was told this in E & E after the first seizure.

I'm a horrible worrier though and I always assume the worst. Is it possibly linked to the atrophy they mentioned, even though they didn't seem concerned?

Gary A
23-09-16, 14:22
Thanks for your response.

It's right that he suffered no seizures until taking the SSRI. We're not married, but live together. He's 19, so I'd have thought too old now to start having seizures suddenly?

Though I do think the CT showed some atrophy in the Hippocampus possibly caused by depression, but was told only slight. But was told no masses, or bleeds and told us it was just epilepsy. He was told this in E & E after the first seizure.

I'm a horrible worrier though and I always assume the worst. Is it possibly linked to the atrophy they mentioned, even though they didn't seem concerned?

Certainly could be caused by that, yes. In most cases of epilepsy the brain actually shows no structural abnormalities. Epilepsy is caused by rogue electrical signalling, as I mentioned above, this is only picked up by long exposure EEG examinations which monitor electrical brain impulses for long periods of time.

I don't understand why staff at the A&E would say it was epilepsy. Did they class it as a single epileptic episode or was the diagnosis of epilepsy actually made? As I also mentioned above, the diagnosis of epilepsy will only be made after 3 reported and confirmed seizure episodes.

This diagnosis is made by a neurologist, and should always then be followed up by assessment of brain structure by MRI scanning and then treatment depending on the results of the scan.

It would be very very unusual for doctors at an A&E to confirm epilepsy then just leave it like that.

Sunflowerz
23-09-16, 14:53
Yes, that's exactly what they said in A & E, after the 1 seizure and the CT as all it showed was the slight atrophy.

They did say they would send out an appointment letter in time to see someone at a "fit clinic" or "seizure clinic" however never arrived. I believe they said it was for an EEG and then only if necessary afterwards an MRI before being sent on our merry way. The doctor seemed quite dismissive and basically made it sound like it wasn't a big deal. Obviously it's happened again since.

I still worry it will happen when he's alone. Generally do you come around after a fit OK? I also find myself worrying about what the diagnosis will be, when he finally gets something better than just epilepsy after 1 fit.

Gary A
23-09-16, 15:35
Yes, that's exactly what they said in A & E, after the 1 seizure and the CT as all it showed was the slight atrophy.

They did say they would send out an appointment letter in time to see someone at a "fit clinic" or "seizure clinic" however never arrived. I believe they said it was for an EEG and then only if necessary afterwards an MRI before being sent on our merry way. The doctor seemed quite dismissive and basically made it sound like it wasn't a big deal. Obviously it's happened again since.

I still worry it will happen when he's alone. Generally do you come around after a fit OK? I also find myself worrying about what the diagnosis will be, when he finally gets something better than just epilepsy after 1 fit.

Yes, seizures can be scary and quite disturbing to watch, but generally people recover fully after less than five minutes. He may just have epilepsy, which while extremely unfortunate, is a very manageable and treatable condition.

I was under the impression he was older than 19, he does fall into the typical age range for developing epilepsy, which, if I recall correctly, generally strikes between ages 3 to 21.

Go to the seizure clinic. He will be fully evaluated and hopefully then you'll have your answers. Put brain tumours out of your mind though, that's not at all likeky, especially after a clear CT scan.