PDA

View Full Version : Going back to work anxiety

PunkyFish
22-09-16, 14:31
Hi :)

I currently work in an office job full time. My job has been getting to me for a while and I know it's making me down. I've also had a bit of family issues at home. I've been trying to get a new job for the best past of a year and a half and any interviews that I get I'm always rejected. A few months ago my anxiety got to the point where I was struggling with my job. I was crying in my lunch hour, had a few panic attacks and my mood went really down hill and I became depressed. I tried to put a brave face on in work and carry on as normal which I managed to do for a few months. However my anxiety and mood became even worse.

It got to the point where I went to my GP and broke down and cryed my eyes out. The GP put me on Fluoxetine which I've been on for about six weeks and I've been signed off work ever since. My mood is okish at the moment but my anxiety is not to good. I'm still worrying about everything. I've got a GP appointment for Monday to discuss about if the medication is working for me and what I should do.

Anyway I'm due to go back to work on Tuesday next week and my anxiety has returned even worse. I have bills to pay and really do need to go back to work but I'm worried about my mental health. My concern is that it will get bad again and I will be in the same position that I'm currently in. My work have been supportive at the moment, however I know I'm going to be good gossip when I get back. The thought of it is terrifying me. I went into work a week ago for a meeting and I was felt so sick because of my anxiety.

Any advice?

GaryP
23-09-16, 01:08
Hi,

This sounds exactly how I would feel when going back to work. I suffer badly with anxiety, and I worry about what others think. What I try and do is tell people the truth. If I am asked about something person, I just tell them anyway. I would say '' Yeah I had anxiety, felt like shit, that's why I'm struggling ''. It's hard to tell people this, but I think it's better than not. At least then they will have something to talk about.

It's really ironic because all of the advice I could give you, Is the advice others have given me, but I still worried anyway, so it's maybe sometimes good to hear it from someone who has the same symptoms.

P.S - If you're not ready to go back to work, and are officially signed off, you should maybe give yourself a start date to go back, and work towards it. Even when I'm off for 2 or 3 days, I hate going back because you feel guilty for doing it. I think we are need to look after our minds, rather than forcing ourselves into situations we know we can't cope with, at that moment.

I think being open and honest is a good thing. I am fed up hiding from the fact I have anxiety. It's not a shameful thing, it's hard work, and if people can't understand it, it's because they are lucky enough not to suffer. **** them, keep telling yourself you are a person, who needs to look out for themselves