PDA

View Full Version : Nonhodgkin's Lymphoma, how do I stop poking?

Leafers
23-09-16, 04:58
I can't shake this fear. Doc said I got a swollen gland under my chin and a swollen salivary gland, apparently the gland feels normal. I've generally been able to keep myself occupied but I can't help but feel a tad bit worse in my neck each day. I do have post nasal. It feels soft, squishy, and I can't "move" it per say, but I can poke it to where I feel it turtling I feel is the appropriate word, I've had these glands swollen for two months, haven't been able to stop poking both the salivary gland and the lymph node since they rose. Anyone know how to control poking habits? I'm only 15 and I think I have so much. It's annoying, and I find it hard to believe doctors can determine if somethings worth worrying about just by poking it. Funny enough I didn't even notice the gland until the doctor pointed it out, I was poking other glands I thought were swollen and they weren't even. This fear is the most annoying I've ever had.

dale12345
23-09-16, 06:14
I do the same thing all the time

Leafers
23-09-16, 06:41
It's hard not to

JosieLouise
23-09-16, 08:14
You say they've been there 2 months... well if it was something sinister it would be much worse by now! When I'm obsessed with nodes I allow myself to touch them once an hour. NO MORE. Knowing when I can touch next is comforting but at the same time I'm not poking so much I bruise myself. Then the anxiety tends to dissipate naturally.

Leafers
23-09-16, 09:41
Thanks, I can't stop poking them. It's turned into a nervous habit. :blush: Still struggling a tad bit with Lymphoma fears.

daisyflower
23-09-16, 21:07
I had this fear about 8 years ago. I remember a dr saying if something was wrong with a gland, I wouldn't have to go looking/feeling for it, it would visibility stick out. Sadly, my fear only went away when I found something else to worry about.
Try and start with telling yourself you can only check it at 6pm. It will be the same size at 6pm as at 8am so tell yourself, 'I'm not gonna check it now, I will do it later.'

Leafers
23-09-16, 22:17
Well what worries me about this gland is a doctor said it was swollen, doc didn't get any red flags from feeling it though and it hasn't gone down at all. Probably due to me poking it, however I also have a swollen salivary gland. I can't stop irritating them, so thanks for the advice. Blaming small things like headaches, a hot persistent ear, blaming it to be Lymphoma or an advanced Melanoma. It's like I think my lifes running on a clock, it's the full blown horror stories that I read of rare occurrences, not just google itself. Me poking everything isn't helping probably.

dale12345
24-09-16, 01:55
You helped me last night, remember what you said Drs are very rarely wrong. You are right they can get sued so easy now if it was something they would have found it. I have done the same thing.

Fishmanpa
24-09-16, 03:42
Go to your local veterinarian and get one of these...

http://montaraventures.com/blog/wp-content/2012/02/woman-in-cone.jpg

Positive thoughts

dale12345
24-09-16, 03:48
Go to your local veterinarian and get one of these...

http://montaraventures.com/blog/wp-content/2012/02/woman-in-cone.jpg

Positive thoughts

Health Anxiety poking stopper device.

dale12345
25-09-16, 03:24
I had this fear about 8 years ago. I remember a dr saying if something was wrong with a gland, I wouldn't have to go looking/feeling for it, it would visibility stick out. Sadly, my fear only went away when I found something else to worry about.
Try and start with telling yourself you can only check it at 6pm. It will be the same size at 6pm as at 8am so tell yourself, 'I'm not gonna check it now, I will do it later.'

That actually sounds like good advice.

Leafers
25-09-16, 05:13
I've stopped poking and the gland seems to be retaliating a lot less now. Even shrinking when I do a little baby poke. I think it's time I can finally leave it alone.

P.S thanks for the laugh, Fish. I needed that! :D