PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Anti D Pooped Out - What Now

Mermaid16
23-09-16, 08:42
I have been on Sertraline for at least 10 years and it has pooped out. I feel really kind of stupid that I never tried to come off it when I was well. I was 19 when I was first diagnosed with anxiety (about 20 years ago). Initially I was treated with Lithium and Prozac (I don't have mania or any other mood dissorder). I was also on anti psychotic medication (can't remember the name) anyhow I had what they think was a medication induced siezure. After that my medications changed and I was put on Sertraline. I have been on it for a long time. In July it pooped out and I have had severe chronic anxiety ever since. I am on Mirtazapine 15mg a night, diazepam 2mg x 3 times daily (which I think I'm becoming tolerant to) as it doesn't seem to be helping much any more and have weaned downed from 100mg of Sertraline to 50mg. Psych was going to change me to Effexor but it just raised my anxiety through the roof and started affecting my sleep. So I stopped that. I'm starting to wonder if anything is going to work again. Has anyone else had this happen and did anything help? If I changed to another SSRI would it work or do they all do pretty much the same thing. I'm still functioning but find I'm starting to have periods of feeling nothingness (so I don't know if the high anxiety is causing the start of depression). I just want to be fixed but it's not happening. The doctor said there are still 3rd and 4th line treatments available because I haven't responded to anything else, which I think are the older type of anti depressants or maybe anti psychotics. Has anyone had any experience with these?

SmilingAlbert
23-09-16, 10:36
Hi Mermaid,

Sorry to hear this. The 3rd/4th line your doctor mentions aren't necessarily the older ones.

In the UK, they would include very modern drugs like Pregabalin. This can be very effective - check out the Pregabalin board - there are many positive stories on there of people who've tried that after not having much success with SSRIs etc. Also generally positive reviews on drugs.com:

https://www.drugs.com/comments/pregabalin/for-generalized-anxiety-disorder.html

It might be worth discussing this option with your doctor. Good luck whatever you choose to do.

Albert

Mermaid16
23-09-16, 12:34
Thanks for your reply Albert! I had a peep at the link provided and it was very helpful. I will see how I go next time I see the psych (next Friday). One thing I have noticed is that my moods change a lot during the day (it isn't normal). I can be really down, have feelings of complete nothingness, then feeling okay, then feeling great. This cycles around through out the day. I'm wondering if this is from cutting the Sertraline down quit quickly. I never experience mania, but find it strange. Thank you again for your positive reply. Tracy

Shazamataz
23-09-16, 22:28
Hi Tracy, sorry you are having such a rough time. It occurred to me to ask if you may be perimenopausal? I know you're a little young for that But it can start earlier in some people. I'm coming up 46 and am sure I am experiencing this. Anxiety increase significantly in the week before period. Periods have gotten a lot closer together. Having surges of being too hot in the mornings. Either that or have you had your thyroid checked? I also have thyroid issues due to a nodule and am finally getting that treated hopefully in a couple of months.

xx

Debs21uk
23-09-16, 22:56
Hey Tracy, don't lose hope just because one med has stopped working for you doesn't mean another can't even within the same class. From what I've read they target different receptors so that's how they work differently. It's the not knowing that's the hardest part, you just want to press on so you start feeling better again. Before my med pooped out I didn't even know it could happen, my psych said to me that it may not just be that it's pooped out but the way the depression/anxiety has manifested this time has changed so it needs a different medication. It's all new to me! Always here for you, we'll get there xxx

Mermaid16
24-09-16, 00:23
Hi Guys! Might ask to get my bloods done. It's fee in any case so it can't do any harm. We are going on a family holiday today so am really nervous but will try and enjoy it as much as I can for the kids sake. Am hoping that the break from work and being near the beach might help as well. Have noticed since I've stopped the Ven that the really early morning waking isn't as bad. Usually up about 5.30 for work but am trying to lay in as much as possible even if I can't sleep, just try to do some deep breathing. Also trying to rely on this to get me through the morning, then taking the first Valium at 10 and the second at 4 so that I don't have too much anxiety during the day with the kids. Shaz do you know if we can get pregabalin over here. Really going to try bring my anxiety down with relaxation if I can. Only time will tell. Thank you both so much. Back to psych on Friday when I get back from holiday so will ask for blood tests while I'm there. Xx. Thanks guys xx :hugs:

Hope I don't sound like a whinger. I know I'm still functioning and going on holiday and the like (even though I would prefer to have a week at home, but don't want to disappoint the kids). Plus I booked it back in January before all this started). It's just really uncomfortable and I don't feel happy with the anxiety the way it is.

Shazamataz
24-09-16, 02:00
I hope you manage to enjoy your time away, even just a little bit!

In NZ we can't get pregbalin for anxiety as I asked a few months back. Maybe you can get it in Oz?

Mermaid16
24-09-16, 12:12
So far so good on first day of holiday. Before we left knowing I was going to be away from home was one thing that was making me anxious and the other is being by myself, especially with kids. I could feel my anxiety rise the further we got from home (but kept telling myself I'm safe, nothing has happened before so why would it now (fear of fainting and or seizure). Once we got settled in we went for a walk along the beach, was beautiful. Saw whales blowing water and jumping. Want to try and capture it on video. There was lots of doggy footprints in the sand and I thought of you and your dogs Shaz. Had a headache from the Valium I think and was tired, but went through the day without laying down. Stayed in the unit with my daughter while the boys went to the pool, which was a big deal for me because of my fear of being alone. I coped. We are so close to the beach and as I'm writing while I lay in bed I can hear the waves on the beach. Very relaxing. Maybe I needed this and the break from work. Anxiety has been better today and I haven't been consumed by it like I usually am. Don't want to jinx myself but felt much better today xx

dale12345
25-09-16, 01:38
Glad you are enjoying your vacation.:hugs:

Debs21uk
25-09-16, 21:43
So happy you are doing well, hope the rest of your stay gets even better x