PDA

View Full Version : Want to wean off Mirtazapine but afraid to

Bonnibelle
23-09-16, 13:58
I was put on mirtazapine in May 2013 after I was attacked by my brother a few months before. I was low, anxious and agoraphobic. I was desperate. I couldn't eat and didn't sleep for 6 months. I weighed around 6 stone and felt ill. I am so against meds but gave in and took them but I said I'd only take 7.5mg. It helped, I felt calmer, I worked on the agoraphobia, I slept and ate well. I gained a stone and felt really well. Then at the end of 2013 my family got intouch causing me intense fear and anxiety and I was forced to attend my mums wedding. My anxiety got too much for me having to see my brother there and I started feeling full of anxiety and intrusive thoughts. My GP suggested increasing to 15mg. I agreed so in December 2013 I increased. I have been on 15mg since.

I have always worried mirt didn't help me that much since being on the 15mg but I am much calmer and although I still have anxiety and agoraphobia on and off life is calmer and I cope better if family get intouch. I sleep so well and I love food.

I became ill last summer with chronic fatigue and I was sure mirtazapine was a big reason, I feel tired all the time no matter what time I take it the night before, i suffer from unreality feelings and zombie feeling every day. My GP said it sounded like CFS and I have an underactive thyroid. I have been very unwell with the thyroid but i have wondered if mirt was a big fatigue cause.

I also have high cholesterol (6.9) GP not worried as I am young and healthy diet but I know mirtazapine raises cholesterol. Should I be concerned about mirtazapine doing this?

I have gained a lot of weight on the drug but i was always a painful 6 stone, max 90lbs. Now I am 8 stone 10lbs (122lbs) at 5ft tall and can't seem to lose any on mirtazapine. Is it possible to lose weight?

I just worry has mirtazapine caused any of my health issues, the fatigue, high cholesterol? and can it have an effect on health the longer you're on it. I have been on it 3 years now and very worried that I shouldn't be on it so long.

I spoke to my GP and he doesn't think right now is the right time to withdraw. I have had a tough year. I overcame alot of my anxiety and life was better than last year I became ill physically due to my thyroid failing. I have been bed ridden at times, I have 3 children to care for, no support other than my husband as I have no family and it has been really tough on us. Finally I think thyroxine is helping and I am feeling a little better in myself but it's been a very hard year getting the correct dose and back on my feet. My GP said right now I need to concentrate on getting over the ill health and the chronic fatigue it's caused. With it it brought back my anxiety and agoraphobia so I have gone back to therapy to get back on top of them again. I know the ill health has set me back as I was doing very well.

So I know my GP is right, I just worry it will be harder to wean off when I am ready and the fact it obviously hasn't helped my anxiety this time round makes me wonder why I bother taking it now. I do sleep, eat and am a stronger person for being on it but I still struggle with social anxiety and agoraphobia, well since this setback the last year.

I have also read some scary withdrawal stories online so i worry I will always be too scared to come off it.

I just needed to post, I have been really worried about all of this.

Thanks
B

Cherryade
25-09-16, 18:22
I was on 45mgs of mirtazipine for over 8 years and weaned off it over a year or so. It can be done and it is doable. There were a few challenging weeks but not too bad. I certainly did not think I would not be able to do it. Positive attitude and all that. Medication affects people in different ways so don't believe some of the horror stories will happen to you.