PDA

View Full Version : Swollen neck lymph nodes for two and a half years

GingerFish
23-09-16, 20:28
In Jan 2014 I had a really bad ear infection. During that time, the lymph node directly behind my jaw/under my ear became swollen and it was really painful and I couldn't lie on my side for days. I got antibiotics which cleared the infection and made the lump go from grape sized and shaped to a malteaser sweet size and shape.

About a fortnight after that I got ill with a cold/flu like bug. I noticed my neck hurt in the exact same way my jaw did when the first lump came up and I touched my neck and there was a pea sized lump that hurt to touch as did the surrounding area. It hurt for a few days like the first lump.

I got these lumps checked by my GP and they didn't seem concerned and told me they were fine.

Lately, my best friend went through a lymphoma scare and thankfully she got the all clear and it was a cyst instead but it made me remember my lumps. I started to check on them again and they are still pea sized and malteaser sized. From what I can tell they haven't got bigger or smaller. I did used to touch them 50+ a day when they first came up.

The jaw node used to be slightly movable but now it's nof at all. The pea sized one is in the posterior cervical node region and that feels movable but stuck if you know what I mean? It wiggles under my finger and moves but it's stuck to the one place if that makes sense. The one behind my jaw has always been very hard and the lower neck one seems firm but not hard or rock solid.

I've had no weight loss, night sweats etc but I have been bothered with seborrheic dermatitis for the first time over the last few months and that makes me worry that my immune system is lowered because I have lymphoma or something and not because I'm bloody stressed over this plus my MH and probable upcoming Pip Tribunal :(

daisyflower
23-09-16, 20:59
I have lots. 3 of them have been there as long as I can remember and don't feel like they move. Marble sized glands are fine. Orange sized glands aren't.
You know it's fine.

Fishmanpa
23-09-16, 21:11
The reality is that they're not swollen. You "perceive" them to be. A medical professional affirms this. Granted, they may be a bit shotty from all the poking and prodding but clinically they're not.

Positive thoughts

GingerFish
23-09-16, 21:45
Thanks for the replies guys, they really mean a lot to me.

I promised myself I wouldn't cave in and look for reassurance and for the last few months, I haven't done much Googling or posting but tonight out the blue, the anxiety just hit me like a tonne of bricks. The thought of my nodes is always on my mind but tonight it's been extreme - constantly checking them from every angle, touching them God knows how many times, breaking down in secret away from my partner and generally just being consumed by it. I've not felt like this for a while so I feel very overwhelmed if I'm honest.

Thanks again

MyNameIsTerry
23-09-16, 21:59
Many OCD sufferers I've spoken to say the same, overall anxiety levels increase and it spikes their various OCD themes. Reducing that will have the same knock on effect in reducing the obsessions & compulsions.

GingerFish
24-09-16, 12:08
Yeah Terry you're right. OCD is always there but it goes above and beyond when your background anxiety flares up. Thankfully I got an appointment through for the CPN today for next week so hopefully that'll put me on the right direction because I can't go on with this much longer :(

Lifelonganxiety!
26-09-16, 20:10
I've got nodes that have been persistently "up" for nearly 20 years now, they are just how they are normally.

It's been a couple of years for you and you've been evaluated. You have to realize now that it's just anxiety.