PDA

View Full Version : health anxiety

dale12345
25-09-16, 17:35
Can people with health anxiety talk themselves in to having symptoms?

ServerError
25-09-16, 17:42
On the one hand, no amount of worrying about kidney failure will make your kidneys fail. No matter how much you worry about schizophrenia, you won't make yourself schizophrenic.

But then again, it's pretty well established that the body reacts to our state of mind. Constant intense worry and anxiety takes its toll on your body as well as your mind. And you can make yourself sensitive to particular feelings and sensations, causing them to seem worse or scarier than they really are, and it is possible to convince yourself you feel something to the point where you really do feel it.

dale12345
25-09-16, 21:04
Makes sense

---------- Post added at 20:04 ---------- Previous post was at 17:09 ----------

On the one hand, no amount of worrying about kidney failure will make your kidneys fail. No matter how much you worry about schizophrenia, you won't make yourself schizophrenic.

But then again, it's pretty well established that the body reacts to our state of mind. Constant intense worry and anxiety takes its toll on your body as well as your mind. And you can make yourself sensitive to particular feelings and sensations, causing them to seem worse or scarier than they really are, and it is possible to convince yourself you feel something to the point where you really do feel it.

Just trying really hard to believe the Dr, it just all feels so real sometimes. Trying not to fear the symptoms like you said.

ServerError
25-09-16, 21:14
The symptoms are real, Beth. When I was having palpitations, a queasy tummy, wobbly legs, choking sensations, dizziness, feelings of unreality and an inability to feel emotions, it was all happening to me. I wasn't faking it. It's just that we misinterpret these things as being something worse than anxiety.

Not being scared of it all is an attitude that takes time to truly master. I wasn't able to just switch off my fear of it all in one go. But it comes with time if you allow it, and you allow it by not letting the symptoms run your life. You must trust the doctor, because if you don't, who will you trust? Where would you get your answers? Certainly not the Internet!

I tend to think of anxiety as a fear disorder. That's how I explained it to my therapist. Anxiety was too mild a term. I wasn't "anxious", I was terrified. But that terror was only making me even more ill.

I'm in a much better place now, and so can you be. It doesn't matter how long you've suffered. That's gone now. What matters is your attitude in the here and now.

dale12345
25-09-16, 21:15
ServerError you are so nice and and patient with me thanks.

ServerError
25-09-16, 21:20
You don't annoy me. If you did, I wouldn't open your threads. :)

brucealmighty
25-09-16, 21:27
just to back up what servererror has said it really is a matter of practice, if you think literally the hundreds or thousands of times you`ve been terrified and instantly attached fearful outcomes to those feelings, it may take as many conscious efforts to almost undo those reactions. I`m somewhere near ok these days but christ I`ve been in an absolute heap over the years.

and the only way I know of really getting over health anxiety is to do challenging things, in my case this started in going outside the house for a few seconds and realising I hadn`t dropped dead. I really was that bad.

but you can get yourself back to full health with a bit of regular effort so don`t assume you`ll be nervous over your health for ever

best of luck and make tomorrow day one of your recovery, make notes of any successes and really push yourself whenever you feel able.

ServerError
25-09-16, 21:38
just to back up what servererror has said it really is a matter of practice, if you think literally the hundreds or thousands of times you`ve been terrified and instantly attached fearful outcomes to those feelings, it may take as many conscious efforts to almost undo those reactions. I`m somewhere near ok these days but christ I`ve been in an absolute heap over the years.

and the only way I know of really getting over health anxiety is to do challenging things, in my case this started in going outside the house for a few seconds and realising I hadn`t dropped dead. I really was that bad.

but you can get yourself back to full health with a bit of regular effort so don`t assume you`ll be nervous over your health for ever

best of luck and make tomorrow day one of your recovery, make notes of any successes and really push yourself whenever you feel able.

The fact there are people like you and me who were in such a terrible state but are doing much better is proof to anyone that you can beat it. I used to be so envious of those who had gotten to a better place. Now I am one of them and I truly believe we all have it in us to recover from this.

dale12345
25-09-16, 22:02

Thank you and I am sorry I bothered you the other day I didnt mean to really. When I get myself all worked up I can be a real pain and annoying. Sorry again.

Fishmanpa
25-09-16, 22:57
Can people with health anxiety talk themselves in to having symptoms?

Yes, absolutely!

Positive thoughts

dale12345
25-09-16, 23:19
Man I have always had anxiety, but this health anxiety whole new ball game.

brucealmighty
25-09-16, 23:26
please don`t apologise, I was having some issues myself with work, family, lack of sleep and a few other things and your pm`s just got a bit much

all forgiven and forgotten I promise, put your energies into getting yourself better please don`t waste time feeling bad because it`s all in the past now.

dale12345
25-09-16, 23:52
Well I you feel better too. Thanks again!!!