PDA

View Full Version : Swapping to Cymbalta from Citalopram

Jem21
27-09-16, 07:55
Hey all, so I've been on and off Citalopram for the last 15 years but it no longer wants to be my friend! I went back on it 18 months ago and relapsed twice while on it. Doctor tried increasing my dose about 6 months ago and it was horrific so I dropped back down and settled. After another episode last week I went back yesterday and he prescribed me 20mg of Cymbalta. I was on 20mg of Citalopram and he said to take nothing last night and start the Cymbalta tonight st 8:30. Bit concerned about side effects but then I'm having huge anxiety and feel shocking now so not sure how worse it could get. I've also got 2mg diazepam for the swap over if I need it.

Anyone got any positive stories of this tablet I would greatly appreciate it? (Please no horror stories, I don't think I could cope with them just now)

Looking forward to hearing from you lovely people! :-)

Jemma. X

Mermaid16
27-09-16, 10:05
Hi Jem! Debs21 has also just swapped to Venlafaxine (which is in the same class as Cymbalta). Her situation is very similar to yours. She was on Citalopram for 12 years I think and has just swapped. If you look under the Venlafaxine heading and then Ven Diaries thread, you will be able to see how she has been doing. She has been quite good so far I think. Mainly sleepy. Have a read and I think it will put your mind at ease a little xx

Jem21
27-09-16, 20:46
Thanks Mermaid, I appreciate it x

---------- Post added at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

Well this looks a very quiet section compared to the Citalopram one where I've hung out before so looks like I'm going it alone... ��

Was med free last night and took my first Cymbalta 10 minutes ago! Not sure how this is going to go but praying it works. Had some blood tests done this morning as have felt quite unwell recently, hence all the anxiety back I think. Least I kind of have a plan in place so time to buckle up for the ride and hope it's a smooth swap.

MyNameIsTerry
27-09-16, 23:00
This board has been pretty much dead for the last year. If I need help with my Duloxetine, I talk to the Ven group who are more active.

There are some threads on this board that are positive if you have a read.

Debs21uk
29-09-16, 00:35
Hi Jem, as Tracy said I have switched to venlafaxine but I was told to do a taper so I introduced the ven whilst I came down the citalopram. My mum takes cymbals and I do believe you can do an abrupt switch from ssri to snri as she's done it a couple of times with no side effects apart from burning in her one foot.

If you need to chat pop over the the ven board or send a pm. I just completely switched to ven last night so it's early days for me to see how I respond to it. I think if you have already been on some form of med you avoid a lot of the start up side effects as the new med is replacing the serotonin from the other.

Chat anytime x