PDA

View Full Version : What medication works best for anxiety for you?

Mermaid16
27-09-16, 11:37
I have severe anxiety. I was on Sertraline for a long time and it has stopped working. I tried Venlafaxine but with my anxiety already extreme, I couldn't handle it and only lasted 5 days on it. It wired me up and I was agitated and irritable and it caused insomnia. I would like to try citolpram (not sure of spelling). Not sure if I'm wasting my time trying another ssri after Sertraline stopped working after about 10 years. What have you found has worked for you? I know we are all different and react different to medications, but am just curious as to what has worked for you? Thanks xx

SLA
27-09-16, 14:13
Have you considered taking a break from SSRI's and trying other methods to managing your anxiety?

A short break between might be just what you need.

dale12345
27-09-16, 19:28
What does your dr say, I know it is frustrating but I think you find a med that will work.

KeeKee
27-09-16, 19:33
The only medication that helped with my anxiety was Propranolol. Although I can't prove it, I actually believe stopping and restarting Prozac (4 month break) is what caused my anxiety (as I've read that can happen)

I know it's frustrating, but it really is all trial and error.

Debs21uk
27-09-16, 20:30
Hi Tracy,

I definitely think another SSRI can work. If you have a look on drugs.com there are lots of people asking questions like this, many of them have switched medication within the same class to great success.

You'll get there, I'm rooting for you x

dale12345
27-09-16, 21:20
I was on citolpram for some time it helped, dont give up you will find something. I know you will feel bettter promise.

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:36 ----------

There a med called buspar that is for anxiety it is none addictive
I take buspar I think it helps alittle, it takes like 4 weeks to start working.

Mermaid16
28-09-16, 04:28
Hi SLA. I have tried deep breathing and mindfulness meditation. Unfortunately my anxiety is still very high and I'm unable to sleep without medication, which I currently use Mirtazapine for. I also work full time and have two children that are still youngish (around 10). So giving up work isn't an option. I also need to be functionable as a parent as crying and feeling like I'm losing the plot is a little scary for the kids to see. So stopping medication at the moment isn't likely to happen. Do you have any suggestions as to what might help in this situation without medication?

SLA
28-09-16, 12:07
I wouldn't recommend stopping medication for anyone who has severe anxiety, but as the medication you are on now isn't helping, and you are looking for something new, there is a window of opportunity to at least try and manage it or reduce it without medication.

Given your situation, and your needs, I will refrain from giving any suggestions.

I know when I am out of my depth. :D

I've had phases of severe anxiety, but you sound like a Pro. :shades:

Debs21uk
29-09-16, 00:22
Hi Tracy,

What about lexapro since it has slightly less side effects? Citalopram helped me for such a long time but I always had depression with my anxiety so maybe an anti anxiety med might be better x

skymaid
29-09-16, 00:29
Pregabalin was the first thing my psych suggested.

dale12345
29-09-16, 01:39
[QUOTE=Mermaid16;1598310]Hi SLA. I have tried deep breathing and mindfulness meditation. Unfortunately my anxiety is still very high and I'm unable to sleep without medication, which I currently use Mirtazapine for. I also work full time and have two children that are still youngish (around 10). So giving up work isn't an option. I also need to be functionable as a parent as crying and feeling like I'm losing the plot is a little scary for the kids to see. So stopping medication at the moment isn't likely to happen. Do you have any suggestions as to what might help in this situation without medication
You can ask your dr there are so many opinions you will find something. Something sometimes in the same class of anti depressants can help. You were on Zoloft right?

Mermaid16
29-09-16, 07:42
Thanks everyone for your responses. I see psych tomorrow. Am home now from holiday and glad I ended up going and not letting the anxiety beat me. Plus I enjoyed it. I even did a few things on my own which was good. The boys went fishing, so I stayed at the unit with my daughter and then we dicided to go for a night time swim in the hot spa. Was fun and relaxing and something different. I have decided I might go and see a naturapath as well. I have read that folinic acid can be helpful with anxiety. I'm not looking for the magic pill but do think that natural supplements can help. I have read about the MTHFR genetic mutations and have found it quite interesting. Anyhow a friend who also suffers from anxiety and fibromyalgia has seen a narurapath and after a few weeks has been feeling an overall lift in her energy and feeling healthier. So might give it a go and see how I go. It can't hurt in any case. Will update on how I get on.