PDA

View Full Version : Chronic insomnia - using Mirtazapine to sleep?

wanttogetbetter
28-09-16, 19:13
Please help. I have GAD and have felt so much better since being on Sertraline and studying Mindfulness. However, I still find going to sleep difficult and tend to have chest pains at times. I have started taking 3.75mg Mirtazapine as it helps me sleep. I am thinking is it okay for me to use this long term and does anyone else use Mirtazapine for just the sedative affect.
Thank you x

ocdbaking
28-09-16, 20:14
Hi!
I take mirtazapine for anxiety, but also for the sedative effect as I find going to sleep very difficult and stressful. I've been taking mirtazapine for years.

MyNameIsTerry
29-09-16, 06:13
I suggest you try the Mirtazapine board because the regulars on there like SmilingAlbert give good advice on this med and the right dosages for sleep.

Mermaid16
29-09-16, 07:23
I take Mirtazapine for sleep. It was prescribed for anxiety and insomnia related to GAD and panic disorder. It does diddly squat for my anxiety, but works well for sleep. I take 15mg. I started at 7.5mg and went up to 15. I think 15mg and above is the therapeutic dose. I didn't find any difference in length of sleep between 7.5mg and 15mg. I did notice that I fell asleep quicker on the lower dose. The lower the dose, the more sedative effect I believe. Tracy xx

dale12345
29-09-16, 22:08
I take Mirtazapine for sleep. It was prescribed for anxiety and insomnia related to GAD and panic disorder. It does diddly squat for my anxiety, but works well for sleep. I take 15mg. I started at 7.5mg and went up to 15. I think 15mg and above is the therapeutic dose. I didn't find any difference in length of sleep between 7.5mg and 15mg. I did notice that I fell asleep quicker on the lower dose. The lower the dose, the more sedative effect I believe. Tracy xx

Thats what my Dr said the lower the does better for sleep.