PDA

View Full Version : Painting my bedroom / weird dreams?

Paul87
30-09-16, 10:57
This may seem weird but my bedroom for over a decade has been a safe zone for me and my go to place to calm down etc

Yesterday I decided it's time to redecorate it, the smell and fumes of the emulsion did upset me at first but I left Windows opened and carried on and was okay but by the time night time came around I was very anxious and worried about sleeping in the room even though I went up to the wall to smell it and couldn't smell anything

I kept taking deep breaths hoping my breathing is okay from the paint I then tried to sleep in the freezing cold as my bed is beside my window and windows wide open all day and night to keep the room ventilated but I was very tired and sleepy when I went to bed and every time I closed my eyes to sleep I went into a weird area of not being able control my thoughts or feelings during that time or control what was happening and I would open my eyes feeling distressed but not remember what it was over?

I then woke up in middle night after loads of attempts of sleeping past that strange part I woke up to thoughts of "did the paint fumes kill me am I in heaven?" Then fell sleep instantly again

I woke up this morning obviously upset and worried and concerned over the thoughts and emotions I had the night before but I most likely have another 2-3 days of decorating left as room was red now it's going to be white and black so it's going take lot of coats

What happened to me last night? I'm worried it was the paint that did it also what is causing the anxious and worry over painting a room

I'm pretty sure I slept in my room while it was being painted as teenager even

hanshan
30-09-16, 12:38
Hi Paul87,

What happened to you was probably a combination of health anxiety and the paint fumes.

I assume you painted with modern acrylic or other plastic paints. These release fumes into the air which I believe aren't dangerous, but nevertheless upset people.

If possible, sleep somewhere else for a couple of days.

PunkyFish
30-09-16, 12:42
This may seem weird but my bedroom for over a decade has been a safe zone for me and my go to place to calm down etc

Yesterday I decided it's time to redecorate it, the smell and fumes of the emulsion did upset me at first but I left Windows opened and carried on and was okay but by the time night time came around I was very anxious and worried about sleeping in the room even though I went up to the wall to smell it and couldn't smell anything

I kept taking deep breaths hoping my breathing is okay from the paint I then tried to sleep in the freezing cold as my bed is beside my window and windows wide open all day and night to keep the room ventilated but I was very tired and sleepy when I went to bed and every time I closed my eyes to sleep I went into a weird area of not being able control my thoughts or feelings during that time or control what was happening and I would open my eyes feeling distressed but not remember what it was over?

I then woke up in middle night after loads of attempts of sleeping past that strange part I woke up to thoughts of "did the paint fumes kill me am I in heaven?" Then fell sleep instantly again

I woke up this morning obviously upset and worried and concerned over the thoughts and emotions I had the night before but I most likely have another 2-3 days of decorating left as room was red now it's going to be white and black so it's going take lot of coats

What happened to me last night? I'm worried it was the paint that did it also what is causing the anxious and worry over painting a room

I'm pretty sure I slept in my room while it was being painted as teenager even

I know if I'm really worried about something I do sometimes have the most weirdest dreams and can often wake up thinking I'm still in the dream and distressed. My bedroom to is like a safe haven for me where I feel calm and relaxed. Maybe it's the change that's causing you feel like this. However changing the decoration of your room could make you anxious especially if your worrying about the paint fumes. I've painted my bedroom no end of times and have always been fine so I don't think the fumes could kill you or cause you to dream like that, it's just the worrying that's all. Nothing to be worried about.

Murphy
02-10-16, 18:40
I've been left having strange dreams, difficulty sleeping and generally anxious and feeling removed from my surroundings after redecorating and it's surprising how much it affects you. For me i think it's tied to change. I have Agoraphobia, GAD, depression, issues with depersonalization etc and have spent a good chunk of my life as a hermit and i think even something as everyday as redecorating and new furniture forces you to face change. The bubble is burst, so to speak. You're forced to face the passage of time, getting older and familiar things being made alien. I'm always amazed what a simple new coat of paint can do to me sometimes.