PDA

View Full Version : Flu Jab - For or Against?

Carnation
01-10-16, 10:26
It's that time of year again when the GP calls you for your flu jab.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone does not have it and why?
And why is it so important to have it when it did not even exist years ago?

:shrug:

Carnation
01-10-16, 10:48
My mum used to have it and the same thing happened to her, so she stopped having them. Then again my partner has it and he is fine. :unsure:

Mermaid16
01-10-16, 10:50
Hi Carnation! I'm the same as Karina. Every time I've had it, I get the flu straight after it, so I save myself the bother and take my chances now. You know your body better than anyone. Tracy xx

Phuzella
01-10-16, 10:57
Never had it.

sarahsarah
01-10-16, 11:39
Have the 'flu jab every year, no problems with it so far

Buster70
01-10-16, 15:49
Had mine last week , asthmatic , I don't look into it to much , my docs did 300 on one day , don't even know if it works but haven't had flu for ages touch wood .

Magic
01-10-16, 17:55
I have the flu Jab, so does my husband.
Years ago, before you could get the flu jab I had proper flu and I was so ill.
I could not get my breath and that was the worse thing.
I had the pneumonia jab about two years ago. Last year I had the shingles
jab too.

unspoken
01-10-16, 22:55
I have had the flu jab for about the past six years. The past two years my employer paid for it but this year I paid for it myself. It's been a few days and apart from some itching and tenderness in my arm, I've not noticed any problems. I've never had full on flu, of the kind that puts you in bed for a week. I've had flu-like viruses but they've not been as severe, thankfully. I don't know if that's due to the vaccine or just luck.

Interestingly, my dad said that when he was a student in the late 60s-early 70s, the flu jab was new and his uni was one of the first groups to benefit from it and they avoided a bad outbreak.

Kathryn313
02-10-16, 00:37
Not sure if putting a link on is a good idea for the over googled amongst us but it is a good resource

http://www.nhsemployers.org/campaigns/flu-fighter/nhs-flu-fighter/why-it-matters

I have the vac each year, you can carry the virsus and not have flu, so I do it so I don't pass any bugs onto my eldery relatives. I have never been ill after it.

swgrl09
02-10-16, 18:43
I always get it ... it's actually required for all employees at the hospital I work for unless you have a medical or religious exemption. Then you have to wear a mask during flu season if you can't have the shot. I've never had issues from it though. Used to get sore, but not even that anymore.

oldtime
04-10-16, 10:14
It's administered to 1 billion people a year, is well tolerated and saves thousands of lives. Flu can be a nasty illness.

Phill2
04-10-16, 10:39
It's that time of year again when the GP calls you for your flu jab.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone does not have it and why?
And why is it so important to have it when it did not even exist years ago?

:shrug:

I have it every year
Pneumonia and whooping cough too
I'd rather a jab than getting sick

mrjonesmcr
08-10-16, 19:28
I skipped it two years ago, I was ill with the flu with over a week after. I regretted skipping it a lot. I don't like the jab much, but I'd rather have a few anxious moments opposed to a week of feeling shitty.

KatiePink
08-10-16, 23:02
Not against it but I've never had it myself, never had any jabs not even the school ones.

Had the flu once years ago was dreadful, but that's about it x