PDA

View Full Version : How do you get going in the mornings?

Lady Penelope
02-10-16, 10:09
Finding it hard to get up and get going in the mornings. Always wake up feeling anxious and shaky. I was getting panic attacks every morning but they have not made an appearance for a couple of days so think that's the fluoxetine kicking in maybe ( day 25).

I always wake up exhausted and feeling a bit depressed and wanted some tips to get me up and going. How do you motivate yourself first thing when you wake up feeling grotty?

hanshan
02-10-16, 10:32
Provided that my med levels are okay, one or two cups of tea first thing in the morning get me moving.

Mojo61
02-10-16, 12:09
I'm much better when I have to go to work. If I have nothing to do all day my morning anxiety is horrific. For this reason I hate the weekends or bank holidays.

Lissa101
02-10-16, 14:25
I have a dog so I take him for a walk in a very peaceful graveyard not far from my house. Feel miles better for it but I'm lucky - I work from home and can take time to myself to chill and relax every morning. I bloody hate mornings at the moment and having a distraction is definitely a massive help.

pulisa
02-10-16, 18:19
I have the kids to get up in the mornings,some days I would love to stay in bed and block the day out but can't.
Routine is good I get up have a shower make a coffee then organise the kids,then feed all the animals I don't feel like it but I do believe by keeping yourself active in the morning helps,well it does me..even when I had a panic attack the other day I still had too keep up with the farm life.....Take Care x.

I'm with flipp on this one. Having no choice but to get up gives you routine and structure so I'm fortunate to be in this situation.

swgrl09
02-10-16, 18:34
Same with me. Not kids, but dog who needs to go out or she'll make a mess in the house that I won't want to clean! Forces me on the tough days.

Murphy
02-10-16, 18:44
Exercise. I get up at 6am every weekday and do some running, weightlifting etc.

sidiam
02-10-16, 19:01
I don't get going in the mornings. I've given up. I stay in bed reading 'til the last minute before I have to get up. During the week it's after 10 o'clock and the weekends later....My cpn says it is ok to cope this way as otherwise things just go pear shaped for me
I know it is better to get up and do something as has been advised and hope that you manage to get into a routine.
take care
Sxx

lotusblossom
02-10-16, 20:36
with great difficulty I feel so scared but don't know why every morning I feel so bad I tell myself I can not do this any more and at the time I really mean it I hav not got the slightest idea how to cope with it I wish I did.

Hazelhen
03-10-16, 11:33
I would second the exercise idea - just get out and get moving. Run, walk, dance, whatever you feel like. I know that always makes me feel better when I manage to do it. But I struggle with finding motivation to get going too. For me the trick is not to listen to my mind coming up with 100 reasons not to. I often like a coffee because that can help get me energised, but when my anxiety is bad I can't really handle it. Music is another awesome distraction for me - if I stick in my earphones with some pumping music, that gets me going too.
Hang in there! Do you sleep ok?

Lady Penelope
03-10-16, 11:51
Thanks for all your replies. Yes I sleep ok but wake up in the morning with pounding heart and already in a panic attack. I have been trying lots of different things - this morning I got straight up but the panic got worse so I ended up going back to bed and listening to a panic assist audio for an hour to calm me down. Then leaves me feeling exhausted for the rest of the day. Sometimes I try a wake up meditation in bed and a little bit of stretching before I get up. Good luck everyone and thanks again for taking he time to reply

Beckybecks
03-10-16, 12:22
Stress hormones are at their highest levels in the morning which is why we feel anxious when we wake up.
I force myself to get up and get physically active, whether it's a walk or housework. Sitting around just prolongs the feeling

Lady Penelope
03-10-16, 17:27
Thank you. My worst symptom is chest pain and pounding heart. I find the only way to stop this us with deep breathing and relaxation excercises. Is there a way to reduce stress hormones overnight?

Mojo61
03-10-16, 19:10
Is there a way to reduce stress hormones overnight?

If you find that Holy Grail please let me know lol!

Pipkin
03-10-16, 20:44
I agree with the routine and having to get up for the dogs. Mornings are the worst for a lot of people - apparently the stress hormones are naturally higher then and gradually reduce throughout the day. I'm worse when I'm off work because the temptation to lie in often wins and I then feel terrible. If you can beat the first hour, you've probably cracked it for the day.

If I'm having a really bad time, propranolol is a life saver. I set my alarm an hour before I have to get up, take a propranolol, nod off again and wake up feeling calm. I could take one before I go to bed but they give me very disturbing dreams. Being prepped for heart surgery by an ex springs to mind... Shudders...

Pip

Lady Penelope
03-10-16, 21:56
I have also been prescribed Propranalol about 10 days ago and was told one 40mg tablet at night but think it wears off by morning. My GP then said I could take 20 or 40 mg twice a day. Sounds like such a good idea taking it an hour before getting up - mornings arawful for me so worth a try. I am surprised by the vastly different doses or Propranalol prescribed by docs. I have read of people being prescribed 10 mg twice a day and some on 160 mg a day - such a variation

Pipkin
03-10-16, 22:59
I vary my dose depending how I feel. I usually take 20 mg (half a tablet) as needed but when I'm having a bad patch I take 40 mg 3 times a day. Any more than that and I feel really tired and my arms get heavy :ohmy:

The morning trick works a treat for me. Decent night's sleep and a calmer morning. It's worth a try :D

Pip

Ojmit
05-10-16, 17:03
I have terrible morning anxiety.....panic attack this morning. Feelings of suicide are very real in the morning. If I can get to about lunchtime they lessen.

TRISTAN
08-03-19, 10:59
I’m the same as you and have been for a very long time now , just feel like giving up !!!