PDA

View Full Version : NHS Health Check

Mr.G
02-10-16, 17:25
Hi all,

I recently received a letter from the doctors inviting me to a free NHS health check. This is because I have just turned 40 and they want to identify any early signs of heart disease, stroke, diabetes and kidney disease.

In one sense I think this is a really good idea as it makes sense to spot any long term health issues early. But on the other hand I am dreading it. I hate going to the doctors at the best of times but what really worries me is what they might find wrong with me. I'm always thinking there is something majorly wrong with me and part of me would not want my worst fears confirmed. So much so that I'm considering not booking an appointment.

As anyone been to one of these health checks? What are the procedures they go through and can anyone put my mind at rest?

Thank you

Mr G

Phuzella
02-10-16, 18:48
Mine was basically blood pressure check, asking how much you smoke drink and exercise. And blood tests for glucose and cholesterol which I haven't got round to yet.
The whole thing took about 5 minutes, apart from the blood tests.

Mercime
02-10-16, 19:03
It's your choice if you want to go along to one of these checks - there is always the option not to take up their offer.
It's just one of a standard list of check ups that the NHS want people to attend dependant on age.