PDA

View Full Version : Random incomplete thoughts?

Shyplane
04-10-16, 00:12
Lately I've been catching my brain doing this thing where I just think up a random thought, not necessarily relevant to anything as far as i know. But I've had a horrible fear of developing schizophrenia and I'm doing my best to stay away from Dr. Google.

Just need some reassurance that this can be considered normal and not a sign of schizophrenia. Please.

EDIT: Wasn't sure what forum to post this in, but it seemed most suitable here since I'm obsessing over the development of schizophrenia.

---------- Post added at 19:12 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

Anyone?

MyNameIsTerry
12-10-16, 06:15
Having random thoughts is something we all have. The mind is busy and it wanders a lot. We are not always in control of it until we need to be and this means it may go off thinking until you shut that thinking down.

The subconscious mind also triggers memories called Mind Pops, which are still a subject of research as they are recent. Mind pops can be experienced by anyone but they can be more frequent in people with mental health problems. Isn't that the case for many things? Intrusive thoughts are exactly the same in that respect.

From reading about this in the past, Mind Pops do have links into schizophrenia BUT it's because they are building blocks for hallucinations and that's NOT what happens in those without schizophrenia. I'm telling you this in case you start Googling Mind Pops so you know you may come across it. Remember though, Mind Pops are normal and found in anyone.

So, if they are memories, Mind Pops is the likely thing. If they are unpleasant thoughts, imagery or urges, they are intrusive thoughts. Or they can simply just be the mind having a wander.

I think it's more wandering in what you describe but you are noticing it and panicking about a connection to what you fear. Remember that schizophrenia isn't diagnosed off one symptom alone, they look for a whole range of issues in your thinking and how you come across and even your speech. Unless you can point to the more major indicators, your anxiety is leading you incorrectly to conclude it is likely what you fear.

SLA
12-10-16, 09:04
Great advice from Terry.

Sounds like you have a mixture of concern over Intrusive Thoughts, and that has also manifested some Health Anxiety regarding schizophrenia.

I'm pretty sure I worried about schizophrenia for a while when I was concerned about the thoughts I was having. There is a link to an article I wrote about my experiences of intrusive thoughts in my signature.

They can be extremely disconcerting, and sent me into despair for ages.

But the source of the thoughts isn't your own conscious mind. They do not have any real value.

My philosophy for anxiety now is "If in doubt, ignore your thoughts."

Shyplane
13-10-16, 20:42
Having random thoughts is something we all have. The mind is busy and it wanders a lot. We are not always in control of it until we need to be and this means it may go off thinking until you shut that thinking down.

The subconscious mind also triggers memories called Mind Pops, which are still a subject of research as they are recent. Mind pops can be experienced by anyone but they can be more frequent in people with mental health problems. Isn't that the case for many things? Intrusive thoughts are exactly the same in that respect.

From reading about this in the past, Mind Pops do have links into schizophrenia BUT it's because they are building blocks for hallucinations and that's NOT what happens in those without schizophrenia. I'm telling you this in case you start Googling Mind Pops so you know you may come across it. Remember though, Mind Pops are normal and found in anyone.

So, if they are memories, Mind Pops is the likely thing. If they are unpleasant thoughts, imagery or urges, they are intrusive thoughts. Or they can simply just be the mind having a wander.

I think it's more wandering in what you describe but you are noticing it and panicking about a connection to what you fear. Remember that schizophrenia isn't diagnosed off one symptom alone, they look for a whole range of issues in your thinking and how you come across and even your speech. Unless you can point to the more major indicators, your anxiety is leading you incorrectly to conclude it is likely what you fear.

Yeah, it's usually not a memory, urge or anything of the sort. Just kinda like a random word or sentence. But I notice that it doesnt happen when my brain is preoccupied or busy. I don't know if that helps any.