PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on this heart feeling really appreciated!!

JohnA
04-10-16, 11:48
So, I'm 32 male and my BMI is nearly perfect.

I do have significant health anxiety that I'm dealing with through CBT.

I have had blood tests recently and everything was normal (including thyroid function).

I exercise regularly and eat fairly well.

About 9 months ago I had (what was determined to be a panic attack) where my heart raced at like 180 bpm.

I went to a cardiologist consultant- he did:

12 lead ECG - no issues, sinus rhythm with a normal PR interval, QRS duration, corrected QT interval and cardiac axis.

Transthoracic echocardiogram – normal LV and RV dimensions and systolic function with no evidence of ventricular hypertrophy. There was normal valvular physiology.

24 hour Holter monitor – in sinus rhythm throughout. There were two isolated supraventricular ectopic beats. This was a normal study with no arrhythmias detected.

So I accepted the findings and went back to training with no further issues.

The problem began about 3 weeks ago.

I was sitting reading a book when I felt a significant "drop" feeling in my chest. Like my heart paused or skipped a beat.

Since then I've had these "skipped beat" feelings about 3 or 4 times a day for 3 weeks.

They only last a second (not minutes of flutter or anything like that) I will quite literally feel the missed beat out of no where (usually when relaxing or sitting on the couch) and then my pulse will return to normal. However this is happening 3 or 4 times a day.

Sometimes it's really like (like a soft skipped beat) other times it feels more "heavy".

Anyway I've cut down on alcohols and caffeine but I can't seem to get them to stop.

I've managed to go about 24 hours without one about two days ago but on average they occur a few times a day.

So I'm just looking for opinions, does this sound serious to you? Or something I need to reevaluate with a cardiologist?

I have been going through a fair amount of anxiety recently. Should I continue to try and meditate through it?

Is this possibly caused by adrenaline bursts/anxiety?

Thanks for thoughts.

ServerError
04-10-16, 11:57
Given the tests you've had, it doesn't seem like you need to see a cardiologist at this stage. You might consider going to your GP to explain exactly what's happening.

However, it sounds very much like the effect of adrenaline on the heart. There's a sticky at the top of this forum about missed beats that you might want to read.

The way you describe it sounds like exactly what happens to me sometimes. I could have written it myself. Mine started a few weeks before my first panic attack. I wrote them off at the time, and then I had my panic attack and ended up in hospital, where I had all sorts of tests, including on my heart. Like you, nothing seemed to be wrong. The weird missed beat sensations happen much less often now. In fact, I'd been a few months without them until the other day when one randomly occurred. It feels disconcerting but it's not actually harmful.

If indeed this is what's happening to you, learning to live with it for the time being while addressing your anxiety is the right way to go.

saf138
04-10-16, 12:38
Hello

Sounds like anxiety related palpitations I suffered with palpitations 4-5 years back non stop everyday for about a year and it always seemed to come on as I came home from work or when I was out in public or if I was concentrating on something like reading a book or playing the PS (sorry to all you Xbox players) it was a nightmare I too had feelings of the heart racing, skipped beat than a thump, breathlessness, chest pain which would go on for minutes. So after a year I just convinced myself that if it was serious I would have been dead already so as my anxiety subsided so did the palpitations. I still have em now and again but I don't batter an eye lid. I'm not going to say don't think about it I mean how can you not but try to relax accept what the cardiologist said and you too will find your anxiety subsiding.
I can honestly say what you are going through I too went through the same only difference is at the time I didn't even go see my gp which was silly.

All the best

ServerError
04-10-16, 12:41
I don't batter an eye lid.

I see this mistake all the time. Surely it's 'bat'? 'Batter' sounds horrific.

SLA
04-10-16, 13:09
All sounds familiar, and you have nothing to worry about.

You never actually miss a beat, the beats just become further apart more noticeably. Your heart never stops.

And 180 bpm is normal for a panic attack. I read an article in a book the other day that the heart can withstand 200 bpm for hours without any damage, or noticeable problems.

So these are nothing to worry about.

axolotl
04-10-16, 13:12
Sounds very similar to what I get when stressed out - a feeling your heart has "stopped" followed by a big, irregular thud. Had tests and was told it was within the spectrum for normal and nothing to worry about. I wouldn't want to talk someone out of talking to a GP if they're worried about their heart (if it is bothering you best to get peace of mind from a professional), but it sounds very familiar to me, especially if you're having a stressful time.

saf138
04-10-16, 13:23
I see this mistake all the time. Surely it's 'bat'? 'Batter' sounds horrific.

you are spot on I just had to Google it lol its either bat an eyelid or "he was batting an eye lid" I stand corrected :)

JohnA
04-10-16, 15:51
Thanks all! - very much appreciated. X

Godstopper
04-10-16, 17:13
Happens to me, anywhere between 5-30 times a day. I think what has happened is this:

- I get them anyway, as 60-70% of the adult population does.

- I became anxious over a couple.

- Anxiety produced more.

- PANIC ATTACK!

- PVC's went through the roof for a few days.

- Google obsessively, conveniently forgetting that I had normal holter/ecg/echo findings two years ago (for something unrelated).

- More appear "oh god I'm dying", and on the cycle goes.

I'm trying to get out of it. Saw my GP this morning, who is running blood tests. If they all come back normal (as they should), then we're going down the meds route to try and break the cycle of obsessive thinking.

KeeKee
04-10-16, 17:31
Palpitations are very common even in people without anxiety. I know loads of people who get them and I recall getting them many years ago, prior to my anxiety whilst lying in bed. Mine are usually a thud feeling, or a racing feeling.

I hate them but I've learned to accept they are just a normal part of life, with or without anxiety (although as we all know anxiety can certainly increase them).