PDA

View Full Version : Mitral Valve Prolapse and Exercise

NotCool
04-10-16, 13:18
As the title says, I have mild Mitral Valve Prolapse. There was no regurgitation to be seen.

I had heart palpitations in the form of mostly thuds in my chest for years, and I went through diagnostic tests like a stress test, 24h holter monitor, numerous bloods and ECGs, and 2 months ago, finally, an Echocardiogram, where they finally diagnosed me. The cardiologist didn't even mention that in the exam, as it's a generally benign condition, and I read it only when I got results via mail.

It's just not fair. My own research concludes that people affected by MVP should do lighter exercises, especially if they get palpitations during exercise (which I sometimes do, last time was a few days ago when the thud in my chest was quite strong), but I enjoy running, it's one of rare things that I enjoy doing in my life, and I don't wanna hold back, I just don't.

And now I read in medicine journals about higher incidents of morbid events during exercise in people with MVP, like syncope (passing out), congestive heart failure, not to mention unestablished and unproved, but implied link to sudden death,vfib, cardiac arrests etc..

It's just not fair. Anyone else struggling with MVP?

dmc1892
04-10-16, 13:31
hi,

i dont have this condition but how often did you get these thuds and were the extremely noticeable?

NotCool
04-10-16, 13:55
I get them every now and then, it's hard for me to pull an average, as they're usually isolated events. They tend to happen more when I'm stressed, and sometimes during exercise. They can be quite intense, so very noticeable.

Shezney
06-10-16, 09:44
I have mitral valve prolapse with slight regurgitation. I was scared to exersize for fear of having palpitations which is the worst thing in the world for me , I now realize it was mostly anxiety causing the palpitations. A lot of people have this condition without knowing it and lead normal lives. Through Google I've learned there is apparently a link between mvp and anxiety, which for me they both started around the same time. Check with your cardiologist about doing exercise , they will put your mind at ease