PDA

View Full Version : MRI questions

nhelen79
04-10-16, 20:54
i had an earlier post with my leg lump/swollen issue. after 2 weeks, i was able to schedule an MRI appointment this evening. It will be 45min and I'll be enclosed in a tube. Never have one before. So now on top of the anxiety over this lump, i'm now worried about the MRI and the waiting period for result.

Did anyone have MRI before and how did it go? how long did you wait for the result?

thanks for your help.

Shazamataz
04-10-16, 21:29
Hi, just popped in to say if the MRI is only for your leg, you shouldn't be right inside the machine so it's less claustrophobic. I had an MRI a few years back on my abdomen and they put me in feet first so my head was out the end and not enclosed.

Hope it goes well. It's quite fascinating, makes all sorts of noises which might keep you distracted.

nhelen79
05-10-16, 22:34
God, this thing is driving me crazy. My MRI came back inconclusive. now comes the biopsy part. here is the report. How am i gonna live through this drama? fighting every min.

FINDINGS:
Skin marker placed. Deep to the skin marker there is demonstration
of a somewhat elliptical enhancing lesion that involves the
subcutaneous fat. It has a broad base along the anterior muscle
fascial plane. It is hyperintense on T2 and isointense on T1
extends slightly further than the enhancing portion. At its
greatest portion and measures 3.5 mm extending from the subdermal
region to the anterior muscle fascial plane of the anterior muscle
compartment. Finding is quite nonspecific and possibly represents
an inflammatory lesion which could be chronic, such as a
granuloma, if there is no pain involved. However, cannot
completely exclude a neoplasm. Recommend surgical consultation if
no definite clinical signs for inflammation.
Normal muscular structures. No evidence for marrow abnormalities.
No vascular abnormalities. No neural lesions. Subcutaneous
tissue is otherwise normal.

spacebunnyx
06-10-16, 09:32
Hi nhelen

I totally know how worrying this is. I also have a lump about the same size which they *think* cyst but in a VERY intimate place! They can never completely exclude a cancer as the gold standard is biopsy/excision... and they will always err on the side of caution. But I would say your findings look promising... the fact there are no vasular abnormalities is important (cancer normally produces new and weird blood vessels) I have been told that several times. They have a plan for you and it'll be lump gone and peace of mind soon.

xxx

Mercime
06-10-16, 10:01
Helen, take a slow breath. You are jumping straight to biopsy, so take a step back. Finding is "non specific" - tumours have a tendency to be specific. They seem to be thinking along the lines of other inflammation, maybe of a long standing nature. No abnormal vessel changes, which is good. Tissue around it is normal. A biopsy would be done only after they have ruled out other causes for inflammation - even then it certainly doesn't mean it's anything sinister. They are following protocol, so don't be frightened. X

nhelen79
06-10-16, 17:09
Thanks shazamataz, spacebunnyx and mercime

After a week of bottled up my anxiety along with fatigue and no appetite, I let it all out last night. I told my husband to take me outside the house, and started crying. I told him if something happen to me, take care of our 3years old daughter and live next to my parents so that my daughter can still being cared by my mom because grandma is the one she loves and closest with.

Guess what? He was emotional constipated or something. He couldn't answer and asked me is it cancer? Are you hiding something from me?
He couldn't even muster a yes for me.

Anyway after a long night of crying and mourning, I've decided that I will need to fight whatever this is (anxiety while sorting out what is going on) and fight whatever the disease is. I will be strong for my daughter. I woke up this morning and drank a veggie smoothie. I'm now going to the surgeon and see what she has to do. If I don't help myself, no one can.

I really appreciate all your logical minds and heart.

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

Hi nhelen

I totally know how worrying this is. I also have a lump about the same size which they *think* cyst but in a VERY intimate place! They can never completely exclude a cancer as the gold standard is biopsy/excision... and they will always err on the side of caution. But I would say your findings look promising... the fact there are no vasular abnormalities is important (cancer normally produces new and weird blood vessels) I have been told that several times. They have a plan for you and it'll be lump gone and peace of mind soon.

xxx

Did you take care of your cyst? I have lot of cysts and usually it interfere with my period timing, but that's all. None cares after every ultrasound :)

spacebunnyx
06-10-16, 18:17
Nhelen... good to get the crying out of your system and you are tackling your lump. But remember chances are it's absolutely fine. Then you need to deal with the anxiety.

My cyst is on my vaginal wall so it doesn't interfere with my periods.... I'd be ok with it if it was on my ovaries! Xxx

nhelen79
06-10-16, 21:37
Just want to update. I went to see the surgeon. She checked my lymph nodes down there, felt the lump on my leg. then she said it's not serious because it's close to the surface, soft, movable although MRI is inconclusive. she would wait to see if the swell go down or remove it if it bothers me. I opted for removal and biopsy. Problem is her schedule all booked up till Nov 30 (1.5months from now). I'm asking the current doctor for referral to another surgeon at a different facility to see if i can push the surgery date quicker. Waiting for that long with a lump, is it dangerous?

the anxiety is still lurking but i'm trying my best to eat again and calm it down if it flares up. little step at a time. i will get through this for my daughter.

Mercime
06-10-16, 23:05
You are catastrophising, and ignoring the fact that the surgeon has said its not serious in any way, and given you the reasons why. Your lump isn't cancerous, there's honestly no need to have it removed, let alone try and rush it through, although I understand you're scared.

nhelen79
20-10-16, 00:12
I took a week off and got the biopsy result. this is the report. the doctor said it's not malignancy however, this line bothers me "show very rare
reactive-appearing stromal cells". I've asked him what that means and waiting for his explanation.

either way, I've decided to remove the lump for my peace of mine in Nov.

Microscopic Description
The aspirate smears are paucicellular and show very rare
reactive-appearing stromal cells in a background of blood.
Occasional fragments of skeletal muscle and rare lipophages are
identified. While the presence of lipophages raises some
consideration for the possibility of >>>>>>>>fat necrosis the specimen is
overall insufficient for accurate diagnosis. Clinical and
radiologic correlation is suggested.

ServerError
20-10-16, 00:18
I see two reasons not to worry:

1) It's not malignant.
2) You're having it removed anyway.

Sounds good to me'! ��

nhelen79
20-10-16, 00:32
I see two reasons not to worry:

1) It's not malignant.
2) You're having it removed anyway.

Sounds good to me'! ��

Hi ServerError, thank you for your reassuring.

When i went for the biopsy, the pathologist actually told me that since the mass is very shallow and to the surface, she might not be able to get enough samples. she took 3 samples, took a quick look and said nothing bad so far. however, the sample wont' be enough to get definite diagnosis. Anyway, yes i'm willing to remove it so they can do entire biopsy on the tissue and move on.

unsure_about_this
20-10-16, 08:00
Because I have NF and got sort of lump (bright spot) not serious on my pons of my brain I have to had scans every 18-24 months on my brain, it has not grown but cannot be removed.

I have had abdominal and spinal spans.

The worst thing for me is the banging on the computer, and the music/sound

nhelen79
21-10-16, 01:34
thank for your kind words, unsure_about_this. Hopefully both of us will be fine.

it's 3 weeks from the surgery and i just need to get my mind off this thing until then.
it's hard.

nhelen79
14-11-16, 19:02
hi all,
just want to update to you with my leg lump thing. i went for surgery. He only removed around 1/2 of it to avoid big scar on my shin. here is the final report. it's most likely scar formation. Although there is a possiblity of remote nodular fasciitis (which is also benign), they don't recommend anymore surgery. So I guess is it safe to leave the remaining bit in there and move on with life?

Comment
Sections reveal a hypocellular spindle cell proliferation
characterized by fibroblasts separated by abundant dense fibrosis.
There is no significant cytologic atypia or necrosis. Mitotic
figures are inconspicuous. The process extends to inked margin.
Immunostains for p63, S-100, Desmin, Beta-Catenin, CD 34 and Factor
13a are negative. The findings are not specific. Although the
possibility of remote nodular fasciitis is considered, the findings
are most suggestive of>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> scar formation