PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding low blood sugar

anxious_thoughts
05-10-16, 02:19
Hi guys, since April I've had this fear about low blood sugar. At this point it's like an obsession that just will not get out of my head. It's especially bad until after I eat lunch.

I get this rush of anxiety every 3 hours or when I get up in the morning. If I don't eat a large breakfast I'm often on edge until after lunch. This is an everyday thing. For example, today for breakfast I had a skive of toast with half peanut butter and half jelly. I paired it with a glass of milk and had an orange. I finished breakfast around 1130. My mom wanted to go get lunch so I got myself dressed and headed out with her around noon. The entire car ride and until I finally sat down to eat I felt so anxious and was worried I would pass out because of low blood sugar. I get this worst feeling of wanting to just flee and run away. My head also started feeling odd and I started to become increasingly irritated. As well as a floaty and out of it feeling. How could I be having low blood sugar if I literally ate less than an hour ago. At around 1230 I had my lunch and felt fine after.

My question is, I wasn't even feeling physically hungry when this happened. Could you have low blood sugar even if you aren't physically hungry? At this point i don't know if it's all in my head or what. We finished lunch around 1 and I didn't eat anything until 6 except for a couple jujubes at 4pm because I started to feel anxious thinking that it has already been 3 hours since I last ate. It's literally a never ending cycle.

ScaredMama
05-10-16, 13:14
It sounds to me as though you have anxiety about having low blood sugar, and your symptoms are revolving around the anxiety of when you think your blood sugar gets low. Have you been diagnosed with diabetes?

anxious_thoughts
05-10-16, 13:50
Hello Scaredmama,

I had a blood test done last year that confirmed I don't have diabetes. However, I haven't had it redone since. I'm really scared, but I don't have the symptoms of it other than this eating thing

ScaredMama
05-10-16, 14:26
To me, it sounds as though it is your anxiety contributing to your symptoms. You could always go back to your primary care provider and request more testing for diabetes. You could also buy a glucometer (I just did for $20) and test yourself through the day for a few days. That may put your mind at ease.

anxious_thoughts
05-10-16, 14:37
That's exactly what I think as well. But of course it's like my mind can't help itself and it constantly thinks the worst :doh:

I was thinking of purchasing one of those but then Im worried that it will show me very low readings. Ahh, anxiety :(

ScaredMama
05-10-16, 16:10
If you aren't a diabetic, and you are eating at fairly normal intervals, your blood sugar should be well controlled and your readings should be within normal range. I just got one for $20 with lancets and test strips off of amazon.

SLA
05-10-16, 16:19
To be honest, I find big breakfasts make my anxiety worse, so maybe that is actually working against you rather than for you. Also, I cut out toast and all bread products and felt a million times better.

Bananas are a good way to get slow release sugars. Try starting each day on a banana and a milkshake.

That honestly makes me feel great up until lunch, where I usually have something light again.