PDA

View Full Version : A blip, from the dentist of all places

Aleman200
05-10-16, 13:24
Hey everyone. Sorry to be a bother again.

I had been doing well keeping my HA under control, I have even stopped taking citalopram after weening myself off over a few weeks. But today has really REALLY hit me for six. I had my 12 month checkup with my dentist because my last meeting with her my teeth were pretty decent. But this time, she ended up digging out one of my fillings saying that it'd broken off and part of my tooth had gone, and then she said she could see a secondary pocket underneath, which frightened me. She filled up the tooth with some filling stuff and sent me on my way, now when i look down on the chart she has given me the Tooth Decay and Gum Disease risks are at Medium instead of low. :(

So here's my HA bumping up again because i feel like i'm going to have to lose my teeth or go through an extremely painful clean or something. I just don't know what to do, i feel at a bit of a loss, she said the filling will hold but she'll keep an eye on the pocket, and i'm absolutely terrified it'll get worse and my gum will get horrendously infected and i'll lose all my teeth at 25 years old. :( I admit my diet hasn't been amazing with the fizzy drinks, so i'm going to stop those.

I brush twice a day and use mouthwash. I just don't know what else to do.

Sam Winter
05-10-16, 14:30
Hi there! x.
i know HA can really suck but i don't think you have too much to be concerned about, keep brushing twice a day, use mouthwash, cut down on sugar and drink fizzy stuff through a straw, you should be okay, just try and stay chilled until your next appointment it will be okay :hugs:

ServerError
05-10-16, 14:36
You really need to apply some rational thought here. Sam Winter has told you what you need to know.

"Medium risk" is not the same as "high risk". It does not mean you are doomed to dental problems. Maintaining good oral hygiene gives you the best possible chance of having a healthy mouth for a long time to come.

Rather like a doctor, bear in mind that a dentist will not conceal anything from you that gives them cause for concern.

Have regular check-ups just to keep on top of things, and maybe mention the "medium risk" thing and ask what advice the dentist has to help you avoid problems. Even if you ever need a procedure, very few dental procedures are painful because of the anaesthetic. Okay, there's some discomfort from the administering of the anaesthetic, but other than that, most dental surgery is far less alarming than you think. My mum, who is terrified of the dentist, has had tonnes of dental work over the last few years (she drank way too much Coke) and has said that none of her fears have ever been remotely realised.

In other words, relax and be rational. Easy, right?

Aleman200
05-10-16, 16:33
Thank you, both of you. For your wise words.

I most likely am over-reacting and honestly it's a damn good reason to go out and buy some dental floss and such!

Mojo61
05-10-16, 16:39
Was your treatment on the NHS by any chance?

Aleman200
05-10-16, 16:56
My dentist is NHS yes. But i still had to pay for the treatment.