PDA

View Full Version : Swallowing food has started to become uncomfortale

Kathryn313
07-10-16, 18:58
I usually just update my own blog post (and prob will do as a way of tracking symptoms) but this is something specific that I was interested in other peoples experiences of. For the last week or so I have noticed that I am aware of food moving through my throat and it feels like I need to double swallow to get it down. I had some fish last night and a small flake got stuck and caused me to cough it back up.

I have just finished some pasta for tea and I can feel what I think is food still in my throat. I am fairly certain if I mention this to my GP, she will say it's anxiety related but this feels new and in general my anxiety is more in control.

Thoughts?

Sam Winter
07-10-16, 19:08
Hi there! x

I frequently get a tight throat or feeling like something is stick but I suffer from possible LPR so that might explain it, the feeling of it going down is definitely anxiety however, I've had that many times in my day it actually stopped me from eating from fear of choking(ny habits are still kinda sucky) if you went up to the doctors they probably check in your throat and dismiss you or send you for an endoscopy, do you have any other symptoms?

Kathryn313
07-10-16, 19:39
If I was being rational I would say I have no other symptoms. I do get acid reflux a bit more often than I used to and recently had some bowel bleeding but it s fresh blood so unlikely to be related. A period of weight loss has stabilised and am putting weight back on.

I have a whole 'long post' thread going on where I am documenting my HA journey. The main other throat symptom is a wheeze but at the moment that is being controlled with a steroid inhaler.

Nurse appointment on the 24th. I think I would want an Endo referral for assurance. I do tend to look back on tests with a degree of belief so that would help.

Sam Winter
07-10-16, 19:48
An endo appointment sounds like a good idea its best to try and find out and get some reassurance, I don't think you have too much to worry about into then though x

Kathryn313
07-10-16, 20:19
Just eaten a nectarine and can definitely still feel the skin at the back of my throat. Boo Hiss.

I feel like this HA is sometimes like a childs toy, when you put one thing in the right place, another bit comes to bite you. Going to just drink water tonight and go from there.

dis93
17-10-16, 20:23
- how did you loose the weight?
- what was the cause of the wheezing? i'm gonna guess they just prescribed it without ever finding the cause.
- are you on any "meds" for the reflux?
- any new symptoms?

Kathryn313
17-10-16, 21:08
Answers in order:

Anxiety
Ashtma
No reflux meds but that might change after seeing nurse
No new symptoms

I am in quite a good place with rationalising my symptoms but your questions could come across as quite triggering as opposed to supportive. Might just need to watch that.

dis93
17-10-16, 21:49
my apology, as you can see i only have 2 (well 3 now) posts on this websites. i deal with SA not with GA or HA (avoiding chit-chat comes with it for me so that's why i didn't even say hi) but i didn't know this could be a cause for trigger but i think i understand.

i wasn't trying to do any harm tho, this post caught my attention because my LPR started the same way you describe in your initial post (initial symptoms differ from people to people so don't.. think too much of me saying this). so i figured i'd try and save you some headaches but i had to learn more about the situation first.

but i understand i'd do more harm than good at this point so tell you what i will refrain from posting further until the doc examine you. if and only if he/she says it is LPR then i'll offer to save you some headaches if you want, sounds good?

Kathryn313
17-10-16, 22:06
Works well for me. Did you have wheezing too? (Youre ok to reply :) )

dis93
17-10-16, 23:23
no i didn't, i think this is a good sign for you to be honest :)

Kathryn313
16-11-16, 21:06
This has just reappeared! Driving home my throat felt 'claggy' and I could seem to swallow, kind of made me think of what it would be like to swallow cotton wool.

Started talking steroid inhaler again so I wonder if thrush?
Out of nowhere my threat brain has entertained the thought that it could be neurological. I am awaiting an ENT outpatient appointment. I mainly need to focus on something else, am sure it will go in the morning.

Dasani95
18-11-16, 07:52
I have the same thing Kathryn. I think mine is anxiety related and LPR. I had several tests done and was diagnosed with LPR. But the anxiety makes it worse. I've found I'm hypersensitive to the sensation in my throat. It feels like food gets stuck when it really isn't.

Srm-123
24-11-16, 00:26
Hi, I have the exact same it has been happening the last two months or so, it feels a bit like I'm having an allergic reaction (but I'm not), I constantly feel like I have to cough or have a tick in my throatsall of a sudden my throats has become something I'm concentrating on way to much, when I'm thinking about the sensation it seems to feel numb? Have you got any thoughts on what is causing it?

Dasani95
25-11-16, 06:44
Hi, I have the exact same it has been happening the last two months or so, it feels a bit like I'm having an allergic reaction (but I'm not), I constantly feel like I have to cough or have a tick in my throatsall of a sudden my throats has become something I'm concentrating on way to much, when I'm thinking about the sensation it seems to feel numb? Have you got any thoughts on what is causing it?

I think mine is a combination of LPR and anxiety. I started Prozac 5 days ago and am treating my LPR. I won't know if the treatments are working until at LEAST 8 weeks from now.