PDA

View Full Version : A controlled panic attack.

mrjonesmcr
09-10-16, 17:25
Do any of you think such a thing exists? I think I had one last night.

Okay, it wasn't half as terrifying as a 'standard' panic attack, but I felt uncomfortable around my chest and my breathing was slightly laboured, but it didn't feel like it was going to get worse, it just felt like that was it. Usually when I have a panic attack, there's a sign or two it'll get worse and become full on, but this didn't fortunately.

MyNameIsTerry
10-10-16, 05:21
Yes.

I don't have panic attacks as such but my GAD would just go really high and sit there are hours. At times I would wish it would become a panic attack just so it would then start to calm down, but it didn't.

I think you can have anxiety attacks that never spill over into panic attacks. My GP first described it as an anxiety attack before the later GAD diagnosis.

The other possibility is that you controlled it. Claire Weekes talked about "second wave" and how at this point panic spills over into an attack because you are feeding more anxiety back into the cycle. But she said if you stop it when it starts, it doesn't reach that far. CBT involves catching those symptoms and changing your thoughts about them to prevent that spill over too.

OncewasSupergirl
10-10-16, 11:13
I agree with Terry, sounds more like an anxiety attack than full blown panic. I have both but like Terry would much prefer sometimes it to just get on and panic as anxiety can hang around for hours and is most uncomfortable. I also follow the Claire Weekes method been using it for years, it does work but takes practice and I'm struggling to practice it the right way again. Whatever type of attack, it's important to try and loosen and accept it rather than fight it x

mrjonesmcr
11-10-16, 13:22
Yes.

I don't have panic attacks as such but my GAD would just go really high and sit there are hours. At times I would wish it would become a panic attack just so it would then start to calm down, but it didn't.

I think you can have anxiety attacks that never spill over into panic attacks. My GP first described it as an anxiety attack before the later GAD diagnosis.

The other possibility is that you controlled it. Claire Weekes talked about "second wave" and how at this point panic spills over into an attack because you are feeding more anxiety back into the cycle. But she said if you stop it when it starts, it doesn't reach that far. CBT involves catching those symptoms and changing your thoughts about them to prevent that spill over too.

It makes sense, I've suffered from panic attacks for several years, I'd never had an anxiety attack, I guess it was that. Usually, it might start that way but quickly become worse, this didn't.

As for how I controlled it , I'm really not sure, I stopped with CBT some years ago and haven't really used it since, whether that's a good thing or not, I don't know.

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:20 ----------

I managed to control a PA today,just started on my breathing and saying too myself this will pass and I am safe kept repeating it then managed to calm down. I am proud of myself that I managed the beast and I got through it.

Good job! well done! you definitely should be proud of it.

---------- Post added at 13:22 ---------- Previous post was at 13:20 ----------

I agree with Terry, sounds more like an anxiety attack than full blown panic. I have both but like Terry would much prefer sometimes it to just get on and panic as anxiety can hang around for hours and is most uncomfortable. I also follow the Claire Weekes method been using it for years, it does work but takes practice and I'm struggling to practice it the right way again. Whatever type of attack, it's important to try and loosen and accept it rather than fight it x

Yeah, I can understand that. I'm similar to a point, I'd rather get it out of the way, so to speak. I'll have to look into the Claire Weekes method.

MyNameIsTerry
15-10-16, 04:50
I managed to control a PA today,just started on my breathing and saying too myself this will pass and I am safe kept repeating it then managed to calm down. I am proud of myself that I managed the beast and I got through it.

Well done, Karina!!! :yesyes::yahoo:

EOR04
18-10-16, 11:44
I was diagnosed yesterday of suffering from panic attacks for the last 18 months, where every single one has been, in effect, controlled. I can bring them on by doing exercise to increase my heart rate and stop them them by decresing my heart rate. I am always calm and my only symptom is the feeling of suffocation for between 30 seconds to 2 minutes, then I'm fully recovered to carry on with my day as long as I don't continue with any physical exercise.