PDA

View Full Version : Fear Anaphylaxis

dittarco
10-10-16, 01:34
Hi -

I'm not sure why I get like this sometimes, but lately I've been afraid of having a severe allergic reaction. I've never had a severe allergic reaction and I am not aware of any food allergies. However, sometimes I feel itchy and my throat will feel tight and my tongue ... It feels tight and swollen but it's not.

It's really getting to me. I'm constantly checking myself for hives after I eat and I'm near panic mode thinking I'm going to experience throat closing and stop breathing.

Any words of reassurance?

Lisa

Sam Winter
10-10-16, 01:52
Hi there Lisa! x.
funny enough I was in a similar position once, I went for a day out, got some ice cream and it had walnuts in, I don't have any food allergies but I still concerned and you know what my throat started getting tight and I couldn't breathe!(or so I thought) it turns out it was just my anxiety going at me, I haven't dyed my hair thanks to a fear of being allergic, but the truth is you'd know if you were having a reaction besides you don't have any current allergies you're aware of which is good, anxiety can do a lot of things to us and a tight throat is one of them, I'm not saying you don't have an allergy to anything because we all do to something even if its mild but I wouldn't worry you should be okay x (when In doubt I just avoid obvious things like peanuts)

Pet59
10-10-16, 08:59
I used to have this a lot. And still do sometimes. My fear was nuts. I heard about a kid in school (I'm a teacher) who had never had an allergy before, he ate some pesto and boom, anaphalaxis. He was very lucky. Since that happened I decided, well if he developed it as he got older, who is to say the same thing couldn't happen me! That was my logic.
Anyway, fast forward about 8/9 years and I decided to bit the bullet! I knew I had never had an allergy before, I knew I loved nuts before so I had to get a grip of myself. Off I went and bought a bag of mixed nuts - peanuts, almonds, pistachios, cashews. I went to our school nurse and told her my phobia and we sat together and had some nuts! I was reassured to do it there as I knew she had all the necessary medication IF something were to happen.

Ignore the demons! I know it is easier said than done and I really need to take my own advice at times!!!!

bonkersmad
25-10-16, 20:00
O thank you thank you. I thought I was going mad and was the only one in the world with this fear. I too, have a deep anxiety that my throat will close up, due to eating or touching something different, or even something I know a date had before. I go into a dizzy panic for about 20 minutes, this evening I tried a new ale, I had one sip, and thought I was going to be allergic, even though I knew I wouldn't be, I still had to go through the motions. I wake up in the night sometimes with an itchy throat, I have to sit up and tell myself it's all ok, until I eventually fall back to sleep. I find the anxiety isn't all of the time, but it is especially when I have time on my hands, thinking time, or over thinking times!! It can be exhausting and I get tearful and just want to be able to snap out of it. I have even drove to the hospital and sat outside to feel safe.

ocdbaking
25-10-16, 21:13
I could write this exact post myself. Some days I don't think about it, other days I think everything is going to cause an allergic reaction - even though I have no allergies beyond cats and pollen (and both are very mild)! It can really drive me round the bend, as I know it has no logic and is ridiculous. No real advice, just solidarity!

KeeKee
25-10-16, 21:59
I'm allergic to Penicillin and am terrified in case I ever take it again (accidentally, you couldn't pay me to knowingly take it again!) and have an anaphylaxis reaction. I hate taking medication because of it and even when taking a multivitamin I need to check a few times to make sure it isn't Penicillin.

Loken11
26-10-16, 02:50
Yes! I have this same fear! It's awful

I once had an anaphylaxis reaction to a medication and now I'm terrified to take a new med!

I keep Benadryl on hand always, makes me feel reassured haha

bonkersmad
26-10-16, 20:10
This is so good to hear, although its not good we are going through it! After reading post on here last night, I got up this morning and tried to be really strong! I went out for lunch with the girls and ordered a dish I had recently wanted, but was too afraid to try as the whole anxiety thing stopped me. I ate it, and hey, I'm still alive! I also tried my husbands ale tonight, another new one....im still alive!! baby steps is what I intend to take, and lots of reading other peoples experiences, anxiety can be a lonely place, but with all of you, I am finding strength. thank you