PDA

View Full Version : accepting the doc / dentists words

kellie39
10-10-16, 19:36
hi
ive been suffering from health anxiety for over a year now and i did manage to calm it for a few months but over the last month or so its come back. i feel unable to be rational about things and look at things in a calm way.
i have a huge fear of the dentist and a couple fo weeks ago i decided enough was enough and i was going to get my teeth dealt with as i havent been to the dentist in about 9 years. i started feeling round my mouth with my tongue and obsessing that one side felt different from the other and then did what all health anxiety suffers should do and googled !!
then i looked in my mouth with a torch and found a white patch on my cheek and this has sent me into such a state, constant worry, not sleeping, not eating ect
i went to the dentist today he he was really good and after i had a good cry he calmed me down and got me to tell him what i was worried about. he had a good look in my mouth and said he that it was where i had been biting or clenching my jaw maybe without realizing it.
so i do have to go back for a couple of filling and a good clean but i will deal with that..
i came out of there relieved a bit but then started doing that doubting thing in my head " did he miss the patch im worried about" "did he have his finger on it" ect you know the find of doubt we have.
i know i need to try to calm down and accept that he had a good look and if he isnt worried then i shouldnt be but with my anxiety this high im finding it hard.
how do you get your head round what your doc or dentist has told you and begin to calm down ?
do you have any tips on ways to get my anxiety brain to accept this and calm?
i do wish i could get a grip on this health anxiety and get back to a normal life
xx