PDA

View Full Version : Protein and Vitamins

mort1874
11-10-16, 08:56
I have been taking Citalopram for 6 months now and it has totally changed my life for the better.

However the last 2/3 weeks I have been been taking supplements for the gym. Protein shakes in the morning along with vitamin tablets. Since doing so I have started to feel more anxious most days, maybe subconsciously! Just looking for anyone else who does similar or has reassurance on this matter.

The protein is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard and the vitamins are Alpha Men from My Protein in case anyone is wondering.

Cheers

beatroon
11-10-16, 10:50
Hello there

I don't know anything much about supplements and vitamins and the like,t is thee anything different in terms of your gym routine? Are you doing more stuff and perhaps leaving yourself more tired than before? Just wondering whether there are other factors!

Good luck, feel better

Beatroon

MyNameIsTerry
12-10-16, 05:49
If it's the protein or vitamins, you will be able to test it by leaving them off and then taking them again to see if the same happens.

I do know that I've read a few threads on Bodybuilding.com's forum about this which I found through Google. They were talking about whey protein and BCAA's. Some of them stopped taking whey and found the anxiety went.

I think there is also some stuff out there about whey impact on depression but I never followed that up.

So, it should be easy enough to find those and have a read. Some of those guys switched protein to get around it. That would likely mean brown rice protein but if you go that route it isn't a complete protein like whey so you have to add one of the other vegan proteins to it to complete it, which is why some manufacturers add pea protein to add in the one missing amino acid from the brown rice. Brown rice protein has some studies behind it to say it works as well as whey.

---------- Post added at 05:49 ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 ----------

That Alpha Male has 2 things in which may need considering:

- Korean ginseng. Ginseng can cause anxiety symptoms in some people.

- Ginkgo Biloba - that has a Moderate interaction warning on Drugs.com and should be checked out with your GP (buy they probably won't have a clue, a pharmacist is better) because it of the interaction with Citalopram.

BUT the warning for that interaction may sound worrying but it's more likely an issue for people with The interaction may be more likely if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. and the warning is because Citalopram can also cause seizures in some people so it's about the additive risk and that's why they prefer patients to be careful and ask first.

I don't want to worry you, but I would be wrong not to make you aware.

It's got some B vitamins in too and some people on here have found them a bit too activating for their anxiety. Others have been fine though. Sometimes with these things it's about taking less and seeing if it bothers your anxiety first and it really does matter how bad your anxiety is as very sensitised people can struggle with lots of things. Just eating regular food was setting me off at my very worst points.

The profile in that protein otherwise looks ok. See what the bods on the other forum mention, they were getting into some very detailed discussions about BCAA's as well and didn't reach a conclusion from what I recall. I find that may be a red herring though since we eat those in our food.

mort1874
12-10-16, 11:00
Thank you so much for your reply, its much appreciated.

I have signed up to body building forums and asked a few questions so can hopefully get to the bottom of it.

I have started today by only having a protein shake with whey and not having the vitamin tablets so hoping to feel a difference!

---------- Post added at 11:00 ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 ----------

I keep having my posts deleted from body building forums for some reason. Strange.

Never mind, I am going to do my own tests and see what feels good, certainly feel better for not taking the vitamin tablets already but again that may be subconscious! Really don't want to have to pack in the protein shakes as they really help with the gym.