PDA

View Full Version : Can this be trolling

paranoid-viking
11-10-16, 12:16
The issue was raised little ago about some people posting on helath boards who likes to scare people with health anxiety when they post their faer about dieseases they think they have.
Wll; as I can not stop googling I foound this 12 year old reply to someone fearing pancreatic cancer on another board:

UPDATE; I have removed rhe copying of the test as it was inaproriate to post it I know. But - the thing was - a woman of 43 had some general stomach discomfort and feared that she had pancreatic cancer. Note - this was NOT a cancer forum for cancer patients; it was a random health discussion forum where people discuss anything from common cold to the plague; an old school forum where anyone could post anything. Of course someone jumps in and tells about how a young friend died of this disease and that an ultrsound mistok a tumour on the liver for fatty liver deposit.

Cancer tumours mistaken for FATTY DEPOSITS? Is that possible? I had ultrasound lately and they found the pancreas to be fine but that I had a little fat in the liver; so needless to say; such posts is scaring the living hell out of me. But can docs really do such mistakes? Do they really not see the differences between fatty deposit and cancer tumours? Is that possible?
And how come so many of such replies tells stories about people in their 30s dying of an ilness that all docs tells me only affects people over 70 y/a?
Or that they had few and vague symptoms? But what strikes me is the claim that the doc mistook fatty deposit for cancer tumours?
I am sorry if posting such replies from another board is inappropriate but I am wondering if we are dealing with trolls. Usually these posters only had one posts. I dont know; I am so scared.

Captain irrational
11-10-16, 13:10
The issue was raised little ago about some people posting on helath boards who likes to scare people with health anxiety when they post their faer about dieseases they think they have.
Wll; as I can not stop googling I foound this 12 year old reply to someone fearing pancreatic cancer on another board:

"I lost a loved one to pancreatic cancer 2 years ago. She was 38 when she died. They do say" When you realize the symptoms, its usually too late" which I believe to be true. Her symptoms started with stomach pain, mild to severe. Then she was sick, she couldnt hold down food, especially painful to have a drink(alcohol) They diagnosed her with IBS, but their treatments didnt help the pain. She had a cat scan done and they didnt see anything out of the ordinary, other than 2 spots on her liver. They told her that they were just fatty deposits. She was 5'7" and weighed 120 lbs how could they be fat?
Anyway she continued with the tratments and got sicker and eventually started getting jaundice, she was really yellow so they finally looked at her pancreas. She had a tumor and it had metasticized to her liver, therefore it was inoperable, stage 4.
Chemo did help for a while, she had the shunt put in so the tumor wouldnt block the bile duct. It eventually perforated the tissue, because the tumor got smaller with chemo, so there was room for it to slide around.
I wont give anymore details, I will say though, the earlier they detect it, the more time you will have.
I pray that you dont have this disease."

Stop. Looking. At. Cancer. Forums.

Cancer tumours mistaken for FATTY DEPOSITS? Is that possible? I had ultrasound lately and they found the pancreas to be fine but that I had a little fat in the liver; Then why on Earth are you still expressing fears about pancreatic cancer in your other threads? There is nothing wrong with your pancreas.

You have said in previous threads that you are overweight, which is the primary cause of fatty deposits in the liver. Your weight and diet is something you absolutely do have control over, and if you start improving now, you can prevent more serious potential liver problems later in life.

Now I don't know how easy or difficult it is to tell the difference between cancer and fatty deposits, I'm not a doctor, but I would imagine misdiagnosis of such things is an extremely rare occurrance in this day and age. The event described in that forum, true or not, happened 14 years ago. Medical practices and technology will be vastly superior today than it would have been a decade and a half ago. If it would help put your mind at rest once and for, then perhaps it would be worth getting a second opinion, but I'm sure you would come away with the same diagnosis.

SLA
11-10-16, 13:19
You won't get an answer that will solve all your problems here.

You need to seek out professional help.

Beckybecks
11-10-16, 13:59
Well thank you for that. I have IBS. That information certainly doesn't go well with my HA....

nomorepanic
11-10-16, 15:44
Well thank you for that. I have IBS. That information certainly doesn't go well with my HA....

That doesn't mean you are going to get the same. Take it with a pinch of salt to be honest.

Mercime
11-10-16, 16:59

"I lost a loved one to pancreatic cancer 2 years ago. She was 38 when she died. They do say" When you realize the symptoms, its usually too late" which I believe to be true. Her symptoms started with stomach pain, mild to severe. Then she was sick, she couldnt hold down food, especially painful to have a drink(alcohol) They diagnosed her with IBS, but their treatments didnt help the pain. She had a cat scan done and they didnt see anything out of the ordinary, other than 2 spots on her liver. They told her that they were just fatty deposits. She was 5'7" and weighed 120 lbs how could they be fat?
Anyway she continued with the tratments and got sicker and eventually started getting jaundice, she was really yellow so they finally looked at her pancreas. She had a tumor and it had metasticized to her liver, therefore it was inoperable, stage 4.
Chemo did help for a while, she had the shunt put in so the tumor wouldnt block the bile duct. It eventually perforated the tissue, because the tumor got smaller with chemo, so there was room for it to slide around.
I wont give anymore details, I will say though, the earlier they detect it, the more time you will have.
I pray that you dont have this disease."

Cancer tumours mistaken for FATTY DEPOSITS? Is that possible? I had ultrasound lately and they found the pancreas to be fine but that I had a little fat in the liver; so needless to say; such posts is scaring the living hell out of me. But can docs really do such mistakes? Do they really not see the differences between fatty deposit and cancer tumours? Is that possible?
And how come so many of such replies tells stories about people in their 30s dying of an ilness that all docs tells me only affects people over 70 y/a?
Or that they had few and vague symptoms? But what strikes me is the claim that the doc mistook fatty deposit for cancer tumours?
I am sorry if posting such replies from another board is inappropriate but I am wondering if we are dealing with trolls. Usually these posters only had one posts. I dont know; I am so scared.

I guess admin would decide if it's inappropriate for this board. My person opinion is that it is, and it's already frightened somebody. If you go looking on health boards for posts about pancreatic cancer, then you will find the type you have copied up above. I had a look at that board, and the vast majority of posts are from people questioning their symptoms, and asking if they could have PC.

I would question why someone who had lost a relative in the circumstances claimed, would come into a health board for PC, and make one post. Only you can stop Googling. You have been given the all clear, and told to make changes to diet and lifestyle, which sounds like pretty good advice for fatty liver..which is what you have.

paranoid-viking
11-10-16, 19:17
I have now edited the original post. I am sorry if someone got scared; I just found that such a post really put in question profesional medics ability to differ between fat in liver and tumours. My ultrasound doc was around 70 and I guess that someone with more than 40 years in the medical profesion would clearly distinguish between tumours and fat.

And for the record; it was not found on a cancer board for cancer patients. I dont vist these forums. It was a random health forum where a hypocondriac(like me)with stomach discomfort are afraid of PC and of course within minutes someone jumps in with confirmation bias and a "you may very likely have it" story.

---------- Post added at 20:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

And I am very sorry. I did not want to scare. On the other hand, you have had IBS for years som stomach discomfort is natural to you. For me it has only been for a few months and it has gotten worse and worse. I am so afraid and I am not capable of living a life at the moment, I just exist. I want my life back. But there are to much nightmarish info on the net that prevents me from enjooying life. If I am not deadly ill I will get my life back but things being as they are now that may take a long long time.

---------- Post added at 20:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Stop. Looking. At. Cancer. Forums.

As I said it was not a cancer forum or support group for cancer patients. It was an old school pre-Google health discussion site discussing anythoing from common cold to mouth and foot disease. As i have allready stated I am not advocating HA people trespassing on cancer patients support forums. But this was not such a site at all.
I dont think there are many trolls on cancer forums but I believe they are lurking around in general health discussion sites. Or rather; I know that they are.

Mercime
11-10-16, 19:22
I saw the site, and do understand what type of board it is. But honestly, how do you know what is truth, who is behind those posts? You don't. If you are prepared to believe a person who makes one post over a professional with many years of experience, what can anyone say to change that belief?

Have you made any moves to deal with your current level of HA? You honestly need to.

paranoid-viking
11-10-16, 19:23
I saw the site, and do understand what type of board it is. But honestly, how do you know what is truth, who is behind those posts? You don't. If you are prepared to believe a person who makes one post over a professional with many years of experience, what can anyone say to change that belief?

Have you made any moves to deal with your current level of HA? You honestly need to.

So you believe it could be a troll to?

MyNameIsTerry
11-10-16, 22:59
How does an ultrasound mistake a tumour for a fatty deposit? Aren't we talking human error here?

Do doctors make mistakes? Yes. Do they make mistakes with cancer diagnosis? Yes, we get them in the media from time to time and we have someone on here who's mother was misdiagnosed.

But how often do they get the diagnosis right? The fact misdiagnosis is so rarely heard of is an indication of this.

Was it a troll? Who knows? But searching out the Internet for something to confirm your fears will usually get you the answer you are looking for. Confirmation bias, as you said, but have do you understand Cognitive Distortions?

Kathryn313
11-10-16, 23:07
Make the most of everyday.