PDA

View Full Version : Low blood sugar anxiety is driving me insane. I need some words of encouragement :(

anxious_thoughts
12-10-16, 00:25
Hello everyone,

I feel like I can't do this anymore. I am so fed up with this anxiety and it only feels like it's getting worse. I'm just using this to express my feelings at the moment because I'm finding it hard to do in person with anybody.

I'm constantly on the edge and I'm so worried about have low blood sugar that I force myself to eat every 3 hours even when I don't feel physically hungry. This has been happening since April.

I can't tell anymore if its low blood sugar causing anxiety (as I Have read that it can) or if it's just all in my head. I'm only 23 a bit overweight but I try to be careful with what I eat. I was losing weight earlier this year. I actually lost 23 pounds but have gained it all back because of the blood sugar fears. I also realized that these fears interfere with my day to day life. I can't go anywhere unless I've just eaten like 10 minutes before because I'm worried I'll have a panic attack if I start to reach the 3 hour point. I'm also having troubles at work because of the same reasoning.

I thought I was doing so well. Last year was great. I got over my brain tumour anxiety and was working out regularly. This year has had so many bumps along the road. I try to work out but my low blood sugar fears keep returning and I feel like I can't do this anymore.

I want to buy a blood sugar glucose monitor but I'm also afraid of it showing me very low numbers. I'm scared that I'm actually diabetic but I also realize that it could really help me out. I'm just mentally so unstable at the moment. I finished school in April of this year after being there for 5 years. I thought it would help my anxiety finally being done but it has made it worse because my mind isn't focusing on assignments...it's all focusing on my health. :(

anxious_thoughts
12-10-16, 05:50
Anyone? It's 1am and I'm tossing and turning. I'm feeling so anxious once again.

Mercime
12-10-16, 06:49
Hiya. Right, there's absolutely NO need for you to buy a monitor! It will turn from some brief reassurance to obsession very quickly, and you don't need that!

If you are equating low blood sugar with type 1 diabetes, you have no symptoms of it, so let that go out of your head - the symptoms for that are very specific. Type 2 is an issue with high blood sugar, not low, so count that out too.
There is no need at all for you to be eating the way you are! Three healthy meals is all you need, and if you're really worried, carry a banana with you - but the chances of you becoming ill with low sugar is minimal.

Hope this helps xx

anxious_thoughts
12-10-16, 18:36
Hello Marcime,

Thanks so much for responding to my post. You really gave me some reassurance and I really felt like I needed especially last night. Last night was terrible, I spent most of the night awake overthinking my situation and making the symptoms that much worse.

I totally understand what you mean about the monitor becoming an obsession. I thought about that as well but I was thinking maybe I could try it out for two days and then leave it at my boyfriends house so I'm not tempted in making it a response every time I feel the anxiety happening. I just rather check my blood sugar levels myself instead of going to the doctors and having them make me come in without eating to get blood tests done. I don't think I'll be able to function and I would be a total mess. At least this might be able to give me a peace of mind if I do it in the mornings and at night when it is the most bothersome.

Yes. I was thinking it could be diabetes but just like you have stated I don't really have those symptoms. *knock on wood*

I'm really struggling with the eating and I'm so worried I'm going to gain so much weight that I will become obese because of this. For example around 11 I had finished eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on thin whole wheat bread as well as a drinkable yogurt and some nuts and dried fruits. An hour later I was already feeling anxious so around 1230 I had some left over dinner that I made last night. It wasn't much but it was protein filled and had vegetables. Now I'm already worked up about my blood sugar being low when it has only been an hour since I've eaten that. I'm overeating too much that my stomach is always feeling upset and gassy and I have to make runs to the toilet a lot during the mornings.

Thanks again Mercime, you changed my perspective a bit on diabetes because I always thought both was a result of low blood sugar.

Mercime
12-10-16, 19:25
You're more than welcome Jenn, glad I could help. One suggestion for you, bit of a compromise. In the UK most of the bigger retail pharmacies and chains offer blood sugar testing, the finger prick kind. That is enough to find out if you have low levels, but by you're description of what and how much you eat, it's very unlikely. Proteins and fats keep blood sugar steadier, carbs send them flying up then down, so better to avoid too many. That includes brown and whole meal bread! Look at your diet and think about making some changes xx

anxious_thoughts
12-10-16, 21:11
Thanks Mercime!

Unfortunately here they don't off blood sugar testing at pharmacies. I'm still interested in getting a monitor but I'm going to really sit down and think about it.

Actually since I ate my lunch around 1230 I've only had an orange since that time around 3. I decided to meditate for 10 minutes and it has made me feel so much calmer. Right now I have dinner in the oven and should be eating dinner in about an hour. However, I realized the time and got a little worried so I made another Dempsters Thin whole wheat toast with peanut butter just in case I start to get even more anxious.

I think it's going to take a lot of time for me to cope with it as it's been ongoing since April but I think I did pretty good progress today cause usually id have another meal at 3 because I'm worried about my blood sugar.

I just have a question, do you know if low blood sugar always accompanied by being hungry? When I'm anxious about it I'm never actually feeling hungry. And usually I try to eat something before that hunger feeling happens.