PDA

View Full Version : MS or stress?

escapeartist
12-10-16, 10:08
So, I am a long time lurker, first time poster.

I have had health anxiety for over 10 years, but have had two years of therapy that had helped me a lot. I also got much better after the birth of my second child, for at least a year.

Now I find myself having one of the worst crises I have ever had, and one of the longest. I am having neurological symptoms that in my mind are linked to MS - I have some weird nerve sensations on my right foot and it has been one and off numb for the last ten days or so.

I went to see my GP, who thought it was stressed, but as I have had nerve problems before (linked to sciatica - I now know they were stress related too) she sent me to a neurologist. Saw a neurologist who told me I am waaaayyyy too stressed (no kidding)!

He looked me over, did a couple of tests, nothing too clinical (looked at my eyes, tapped for reflexes etc). He told me I am stressed and that I should relax. and that I should go back in a month if it is still there... This last comment, coupled with the fact that I think he said my reflexes on my feet are gone (I think he meant due to stress) has had me spinning for days.

I am completely losing my mind, and have to keep it together for my little ones, but struggling a lot. I have booked any appointment with my counsellor (but she couldn't see me until next week, so seeing one of her colleagues) but in the meantime all I can think of is my tingling foot (with occasional pain) and why it will not go away....

Any help much appreciated! Thank you.

Momaof2
12-10-16, 12:05
I had all type of aches and pains when I was deficient in vitamin D maybe you should look into it. Also from what my counselor told me when you focus on your pains so much your become somehow ultra sensitive to anything going on ( and normal things) in your body

KatiePink
12-10-16, 17:42
Hi there,

I've had the same as you before and it eventually went. I always get things like that and put it down to stress now.

I did get sent to a neurologist because of constant muscle twitches, they did a few tests that youve mentioned there, checked reflexes, strength ect and said they are benign twitches probably stress induced. I had them for over a year!

I've feared MS a lot but all I can say is look how many of us fear it and haven't got it, the odds are in your favour and I know it's hard believe me but don't give in to anxiety, resist the temptation to search for things, distract yourself when you're having these thoughts. The way I think is you would know if it were something sinister and wouldn't be really questioning it,

The all clear from a neurologist is pretty damn good just think about that.

Stress/anxiety have caused the weirdest of feelings all over my body x