PDA

View Full Version : Scared I have a brain tumour?! :(

Lollipop22
12-10-16, 10:16
I've had anxiety about 5 years now, and I constantly think I have all different types on cancer.
I have had pain behind my eyes on and off for about 4 weeks and I do wear glasses. I have had sinus pain which I put down to my eyes but then I decided to feel my head. And I felt a funny shaped bump, it's near the front right of your head, above my ear but at the top. It's solid, but if I press firmly it hurts and I can feel bone there. But some parts I can't feel bone. I'm terrified I Am going to die. My uncle is dying from liver and howel cancer so it doesn't make it any easier. I am so scared to tell someone as I'm afraid I will look stupid if I say to my family I'm constantly scared I'm going to die. I'm 15, 16 in 1 month and I am sick of feeling like this.

My friend ditched my because she said I was being stupid all the time as my anxiety is based around travel too, so I find it difficult to go places myself, she said I was being pathetic. I have a lot of animals and find they comfort me but no one seems to understand. I'm scared I'm going to die of brain cancer now. And I don't know what to do :(

---------- Post added at 10:16 ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 ----------

[QUOTE=Lollipop22;1602792]I've had anxiety about 5 years now, and I constantly think I have all different types on cancer.
I have had pain behind my eyes on and off for about 4 weeks and I do wear glasses. I have had sinus pain which I put down to my eyes but then I decided to feel my head. And I felt a funny shaped bump, it's near the front right of your head, above my ear but at the top. It's solid, but if I press firmly it hurts and I can feel bone there. But some parts I can't feel bone. I'm terrified I Am going to die. My uncle is dying from liver and howel cancer so it doesn't make it any easier. I am so scared to tell someone as I'm afraid I will look stupid if I say to my family I'm constantly scared I'm going to die. I'm 15, 16 in 1 month and I am sick of feeling like this.
I'd say this bump is about is about the size of a 50pbut not in the shape of a 50p

My friend ditched my because she said I was being stupid all the time as my anxiety is based around travel too, so I find it difficult to go places myself, she said I was being pathetic. I have a lot of animals and find they comfort me but no one seems to understand. I'm scared I'm going to die of brain cancer now. And I don't know what to do :(

Gary A
12-10-16, 10:24
The skull is utterly rigid, a brain tumour would not form any noticeable swelling on your skull. What they do is put pressure on the skull because the skull doesn't allow it the space to grow. This causes unbearable headaches and some very noticeable problems in motor function.

What you describe in no way sounds anything like a brain tumour.

escapeartist
12-10-16, 10:25
Lollipop hi!

I have often had the same kind of fears, especially for brain tumour (several times). My latest was related to a bump I found on my head, in the back, but rather like yours it was hard and pressed when I touched.

I had it looked at by the doctor who assured me it was just a bump (bone) and in fact, I now feel much better about it as it has been five months and it has not grown. It is likely to be just a bump. Also, brain tumours are not palpable from the outside, but instead are withing the skull - so whatever it is, it is not a brain tumour, but more likely just a bump - our skulls are not symmetrical.

I hope you feel better soon - have you had similar fears before? I find keeping a list of all the things that I have worried about and were not real helps me sometimes. Also, statistics helps me - i look up the likelihood of having a certain disease and that usually helps...

finally, having close family who are ill is a big trigger for anxiety: it is normal for you to be more vigilant. If you have never had counselling it can really help!

Lollipop22
12-10-16, 11:02
Thank you for both of your replies, I feel somewhat relieved.
I have had these fears before on many occasions, I am always scared whenever I get a headache I instantly think I have a brain tumor :(
My family is very close and my great gran died on breast cancer when I was young so I saw her suffer, now my uncle is going through it and it makes me feel like I'm next!
I had counselling when I was 12 because I was depressed but then my family decided I was better and no longer took me, which I admit for about a year I just had the odd panic and felt a lot better. But I am always in a constant bubble of fear :( and I just want it to end. I can't travel, I haven't been on holiday in 5 years since having anxiety because I'm too scared :( all my friends are out their living there lives having meals out and I'm sitting in the house too scared incase I choke while I'm out or whatever other reason :(