PDA

View Full Version : Dropping a bomb - awareness campaigns

paranoid-viking
13-10-16, 12:24
Yes; and please do not misunderstand the point I am trying to make. I am questioning the value of all these x cancer awareness campaigns. Are they intended to make people considering if they have this and that cancer? I feel that it is always a good advice that if you feel ill and uncomfortable in your body for a longer period; like more than 5 days always consult your GP and tell how one feels; not googling any thing or reading all the things these "awareness campaigns" are saying; just tell the doctor about the discomfort, the symptoms and where it is; and write a list beforehand. I mean; does helathy people who are not ill needs all this information about horrible diseases. I wish I had never ever heard anything about this illness. If we are healthy and well we sould save our worries to the day something happens.

What we need awareness about is healthy living. It is for sure a fact that the more unhealthy one lives, the more the chances is that one can get cancer diseases that CAN be deadly. Or to put it the other way; the more healthy one lives the more one reduce the chances of getting seriuos cancer illnesses. That is what people needs to know instead of gruesome details about specific kinds of cancer and the horror stories from the unfortunate victims. People needs to eat vegetables,plenty of fruit, exercise, not using tobacco, eat limited of fat and carohydrates, have a moderate alcohol intace(WHO recomandations),limited use of sugar, avoiding artificial sweeteners and the risk of dying an early and horrible death is significantly reduced. Isn`t that all we really need to know?

Still, I se some value with the campaigns; that money needs to be raised for the medical science and development of better treatment and such.
But not campaigns with detailed horror stories. What is that good for? I dont see it. I am not selfish; I have family members that had cancer.

Perhaps an argument for it is that some people are careless and not visiting doctors and are neglecting when they get seriously ill. I dont know.

So I dropped the bomb. Soon it is November - the cancer awareness month. I want to isolate myself for the whole month.

Fishmanpa
13-10-16, 12:31
This subject has been brought up before. Thing is, it's always been that way. I really don't think it's any worse now than it was. Unfortunately, HA sufferers seem to be affected more by the ads than most.

If you want to hear horror stories, take a gander at drug commercials! They'll spend 10 seconds telling you how much better you'll feel on a certain drug and 30 seconds reading off a list of side effects that are worse than the actual illness or condition they're supposed to treat! Get rid of depression at the cost of anal leakage and suicidal thoughts?... Ummm...

Positive thoughts

paranoid-viking
13-10-16, 12:35
Yes, but I really question what the intensions of these campaigns are. If it is more more rescources spent on developing treatment that is good. But apart from that?

I would not say it has always been like that in the same amount as now. It has progresively worsened since the 1980s despite the fact that pople are living healthier and longer than before. And tabloid media and the rise of online click journalism means that we are drowning in cancer horror stories.

ServerError
13-10-16, 12:42
The purpose of these campaigns is to increase awareness of the symptoms and to improve rates of early diagnosis. I've no doubt the do trigger people, but this is a necessary evil. The idea isn't to worry people.

paranoid-viking
13-10-16, 12:51
The purpose of these campaigns is to increase awareness of the symptoms and to improve rates of early diagnosis. I've no doubt the do trigger people, but this is a necessary evil. The idea isn't to worry people.

Yes, but if one has nasty symptoms on SHOULD go to the doctor. No one needs to know that it may be a symptom of a specific gruesome cancer diease. That is the doctors job to find out. Alarming people is not good IMO.
Especially not the gruesome cancer ilness that I know fear that I may have which in fact only affects 0,14% of the population. And perhaps as little as 0,005% of the population under 50. Still - people in THAT age group is used in the campaigns making it misleading.

axolotl
13-10-16, 12:57
If we take a step back, awareness campaigns that alert people to early symptoms will have sent people to their GPs and will have saved lives, as well raising money, which also saves lives. You seem to have a few posts going "will someone think of the health anxiety sufferers?!", but that's our own cross to bear and our own issue to deal with. Yes these things can be triggering to some people, and I'm sure there are specific campaigns I wouldn't think were very helpful, but I totally disagree it should be pared back in case it whips up we hypochondriacs.

The bigger issue is you need to stop associating cancer with yourself, which it seems you have no indication of having. Any one of us might get cancer, it's true, but we probably won't, and we aren't psychic and don't have the power to predict the manner of our own deaths. Please get some help and live your life.

ServerError
13-10-16, 13:02
Yes, but if one has nasty symptoms on SHOULD go to the doctor. No one needs to know that it may be a symptom of a specific gruesome cancer diease. That is the doctors job to find out. Alarming people is not good IMO.
Especially not the gruesome cancer ilness that I know fear that I may have which in fact only affects 0,14% of the population. And perhaps as little as 0,005% of the population under 50. Still - people in THAT age group is used in the campaigns making it misleading.

I can tell you that despite all these campaigns, and despite living in a country whose media are obsessed with cancer, I know the warning signs of very few serious illnesses. I reckon I could spot a melanoma if I had one, and I know the obvious signs of potential testicular cancer, but I can honestly say that, on the whole, I'm prepared to let my body tell me when something is wrong.

The campaigns are proven to be effective at saving lives, though. They're a necessary evil as far as I'm concerned. The whole point is to increase the rate at which people seek earlier medical intervention. It's only the health anxious who are obsessed with diagnosing themselves.

paranoid-viking
13-10-16, 13:15
If we take a step back, awareness campaigns that alert people to early symptoms will have sent people to their GPs and will have saved lives, as well raising money, which also saves lives. You seem to have a few posts going "will someone think of the health anxiety sufferers?!", but that's our own cross to bear and our own issue to deal with. Yes these things can be triggering to some people, and I'm sure there are specific campaigns I wouldn't think were very helpful, but I totally disagree it should be pared back in case it whips up we hypochondriacs.

The bigger issue is you need to stop associating cancer with yourself, which it seems you have no indication of having. Any one of us might get cancer, it's true, but we probably won't, and we aren't psychic and don't have the power to predict the manner of our own deaths. Please get some help and live your life.

No, you misunderstood me. My point was if perfectly healthy people needs to be constantly reminded of death and destruction. But I agree with you at that point; there are people who are the total oposite of those with HA and that is those with Healt Ignorance or should I say HI. People with HI who refuses to go to the doc even though they are very ill and it is visible for people around them; people who seem absolutely not worried about obvious ill health; for them it is a good thing that such campaigns exist. Definitely.
But for the general public the wise thiing is always to go see with your doctor ASAP if you have some disturbing thing happening to you. But not nescesarily rushing to the doctor because they saw on some awarenes campaign that stomach pain may be an early vague symptom of colon cancer or another cancer so awful I wont mentioning its name here. The docs are not ignorant, even though tabloid media and to some extent also these campaigns does give this impression. A good doc IS alarmed if they see something unusual about the patient.

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:10 ----------

The campaigns are proven to be effective at saving lives, though. They're a necessary evil as far as I'm concerned. The whole point is to increase the rate at which people seek earlier medical intervention. It's only the health anxious who are obsessed with diagnosing themselves.

I see the point here and that is what good with discussing things when one is not a politician; that one is willing to modify their views as it goes along:)

Yes; this campaigns are important because Health Ignorance is a way bigger problem in society than Health Anxiety. Us with HA are definetily not avoiding the health serives; people with HI does and may need some wake up calls once in a while.

Again; I still thing that awareness of healthy living is the best and more valuable awareness there is.

axolotl
13-10-16, 13:26
No, you misunderstood me. My point was if perfectly healthy people needs to be constantly reminded of death and destruction.

But it's not targeted at "perfectly healthy people", it's targeted at people who may have the early signs of disease and - unlike we on this forum - need a push to check themselves. Most people don't have any adverse effects by hearing about these things from time to time, and it may make someone realise something's wrong before it's too late.

"Death and destruction" are a normal part of life, you can't wrap people in cotton wool, certainly not at the expense of people who may see campaigns and get help at the right time. The media can be a bad offender at times, sensationalising certain diseases and making them look more common or more dangerous than they are, but these kind of factual campaigns are good things.

But I'll go back to my previous point, you need to stop thinking (and overthinking) about cancer so much. You don't have it, you don't have signs of it.

ServerError
13-10-16, 13:29
Again; I still thing that awareness of healthy living is the best and more valuable awareness there is.

I agree with this, but I must say that I encounter far more information about healthy eating and the need for exercise than I do for warnings about disease. It's everywhere, and although obesity and poor diet and lifestyles are still a problem, it's no coincidence that gym memberships are increasing and more people are taking and interest in health foods and better lifestyles. The downside in the UK is that these messages are picked up a lot more by the better off. The poorer sections of our society are less impacted by healthy living messages.

But I digress. My point is, advice about healthy living is everywhere. At the end of the day, good public health messages inform people about the need to live healthily and when it might be advisable to see your GP.

unsure_about_this
13-10-16, 13:37
My nerves and anxiety will be sky high. I dont mean to disprect people who know people/had or who are/had cancer, but these adverts do worry me that I am matching symptoms what I could or could not have.

Kathryn313
13-10-16, 13:39
I think this is probably the most rational thing I have seen you post in a while.

Health campaigns are for the HI. They are not targeted at the health anxious, since we are already at the doctor with every lump and bump. My 'over coming health anxiety' book says exactly that sentence. If these campaigns save lives or raise enough money to help treat me or my family when the time comes then I am grateful for them. My reaction to them is mine to manage.

ServerError
13-10-16, 13:42
My nerves and anxiety will be sky high. I dont mean to disprect people who know people/had or who are/had cancer, but these adverts do worry me that I am matching symptoms what I could or could not have.

They may well worry you. But we can't conceal important advice and information because some people are hyperchondriacs who might be triggered. That would be foolish. As has been said earlier in the thread, wrapping us all up in cotton wool so we can delude ourselves that death and destruction don't exist might be comforting, but it could also lead to earlier deaths.

The solution is a better mental health system that allows people with anxiety and other disorders to actually access the treatment they need when they need it.

axolotl
13-10-16, 13:52

We all sympathise with that on there, but that's our own problem, and it's our problem to deal with, like it's the problem of people with arachnophobia to deal with fear of spiders, not people who make documentaries about tarantulas.

Mercime
13-10-16, 13:55
If you're talking about adverts - switch channels?

ServerError
13-10-16, 14:01
If you're talking about adverts - switch channels?

Avoidance is the enemy. 👹

paranoid-viking
13-10-16, 14:38
"Death and destruction" are a normal part of life, you can't wrap people in cotton wool, certainly not at the expense of people who may see campaigns and get help at the right time. The media can be a bad offender at times, sensationalising certain diseases and making them look more common or more dangerous than they are, but these kind of factual campaigns are good things.

But I'll go back to my previous point, you need to stop thinking (and overthinking) about cancer so much. You don't have it, you don't have signs of it.

I am not saying that people needs to be wrapped in cotton wool; I am just saying that is there not something in between the extremes. I would not say that there is too little infor about cancer ilnesses; quite to the contrary.

But according to some of the victims stories in the awarness campaing small stomach pain is the beginning of what ends up in a painful death. Just like I fear.

And some of these testemonies are saying that the tes I had is not enough and in some way encouragin doctor shopping to get the right answers.

And - as for the cancer I fear the most there are no cure; almost all of the victims dies. The only thing that the medical science can due is to prolong the life of the patients but not curing them. That is why I wished I had never ever heard of this type of cancer. And awarness campaigns for this type of cancer can not save lives, only prolong them. And that is what scares me.

---------- Post added at 15:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:36 ----------

Absolutely. At times i shrug off and say "nah; I dont have this cancer I am too healthy" and then I come across a victims story and - BANG - their testemonies matches my experiences perfectly!

ServerError
13-10-16, 14:44
But according to some of the victims stories in the awarness campaing small stomach pain is the beginning of what ends up in a painful death. Just like I fear.

With all due respect, this is just you bringing up your current fear again. Health awareness campaigns are designed to help people know when it might be advisable to see a doctor. I'm not sure where you're being subjected to the "stomach pain could be deadly" stuff. I mean, yeah, stomach pain could be a sign of a fatal illness. Everybody knows this, with or without campaigns. But the majority of the time, it's nothing serious.

You say there's no happy medium - how do you want them to do it? Would you like a "warning - hypochondriacs, look away now"? How many do you think would look away?

I'm actually not sure what you're saying? What would you like to see done differently?

MyNameIsTerry
13-10-16, 14:48
We all sympathise with that on there, but that's our own problem, and it's our problem to deal with, like it's the problem of people with arachnophobia to deal with fear of spiders, not people who make documentaries about tarantulas.

Exactly.

I have no HA and my triggers surround daily. Work, social, symptoms, change, etc. The OCD side focuses on many irrational things taken for granted to the level of even the clothes I wear and the food I eat. My media issues were more about big events like war, political unrest or system change.

My reaction to cancer awareness on TV. Boring, I'm sick of the adverts every five seconds. Many people say the same because we get sick of it being forced down our throats. It's got to the point where it's losing it's effect because of this but we understand why it is there and tune it out.

Before them did we know blood shouldn't be coming from poo? Yes. Did we know lumps shouldn't be in places they weren't before? Yes and no on that one. So, some of it has educated, some hasn't and some has done the opposite. The latter is one I think of with the "blood in your poo" which NHS Choices says you must always see a GP. That's a disclaimer issue just like the online ones people complain about since it's mostly things like roids. According to that advice, I should be asking my GP everytime I have blood there just in case I get cancer and I dismiss it as the roids I've been having on & off bleeding with for nearly 20 years. But then I look to the other roids symptoms and know I have those too.

Funding campaigns are over the top in terms of volume but they are paying for that. Lots of things kill you or make you live a very difficult life. The issue with cancer is the rate of getting it balanced with the possible impacts so it gets more awareness. But the campaigns focus on the positives of their organisations as their adverts show them helping people, not peddle so little information as too be misleading like the government campaigns.

They are necessary but I don't believe they are formatted the best way. It's certainly a problem that some ignore their health but these campaigns also get derided and ignored for their "symptoms in isolation" promotion too by some. I guess those who ignore them, like me, might be more likely to look for other symptoms and then consult a GP?

Something interesting is a few months back my local hospital cited two reasons for failing national response standards for breast cancer referrals. One was awareness campaigning had increased referrals beyond expected rates. I find that interesting since breastfeeding cancer rates won't have shot up with it. But that does point to a problem with GP's referring when they shouldn't.

I agree about the increase in campaigning. It wasn't like this until more recently in the UK. HIV awareness was like that for a while when it started and then the government seemed to give up on it.

ServerError
13-10-16, 14:52
beast cancer

This sounds like the scariest of all the cancers! :scared15:

MyNameIsTerry
13-10-16, 14:58
This sounds like the scariest of all the cancers! :scared15:

:doh: Damn Samsung Galaxy...but at least my hand isn't on fire with it being an older model :winks:

Beast cancer - a sudden dramatic growth of all over body hair triggered by full moons resulting in an urge to gauge on anything warm blooded. Also known as "Trump's Disease" :yesyes:

paranoid-viking
13-10-16, 15:02
With all due respect, this is just you bringing up your current fear again. Health awareness campaigns are designed to help people know when it might be advisable to see a doctor. I'm not sure where you're being subjected to the "stomach pain could be deadly" stuff. I mean, yeah, stomach pain could be a sign of a fatal illness. Everybody knows this, with or without campaigns. But the majority of the time, it's nothing serious.

You say there's no happy medium - how do you want them to do it? Would you like a "warning - hypochondriacs, look away now"? How many do you think would look away?

I'm actually not sure what you're saying? What would you like to see done differently?

Yes, but should everyone with a stomach pain suspect that this is the beginning of a fatal ilness and then rush to the doc even though it is a 99,9% chance that it is not?
I know very well that in the majority of cases that stomach discomfort does not means something seriuos. And I know that IBS is a million time more common than the cancer I fear. But who are seriusly afraid of getting IBS? There are no IBS awarness campaigns as far as I can see. People do not fear what is not dangerous - it is the what is dangerous they fear. I am irrational; I admit it and I am aware of it. But that is not something we need to hide in here right? I know now that it was a third degree relativt who died of that cancer at young age and that is contributing to my fear.

---------- Post added at 16:02 ---------- Previous post was at 15:59 ----------

Exactly.

I have no HA and my triggers surround daily. Work, social, symptoms, change, etc. The OCD side focuses on many irrational things taken for granted to the level of even the clothes I wear and the food I eat. My media issues were more about big events like war, political unrest or system change.

My reaction to cancer awareness on TV. Boring, I'm sick of the adverts every five seconds. Many people say the same because we get sick of it being forced down our throats. It's got to the point where it's losing it's effect because of this but we understand why it is there and tune it out.

Before them did we know blood shouldn't be coming from poo? Yes. Did we know lumps shouldn't be in places they weren't before? Yes and no on that one. So, some of it has educated, some hasn't and some has done the opposite. The latter is one I think of with the "blood in your poo" which NHS Choices says you must always see a GP. That's a disclaimer issue just like the online ones people complain about since it's mostly things like roids. According to that advice, I should be asking my GP everytime I have blood there just in case I get cancer and I dismiss it as the roids I've been having on & off bleeding with for nearly 20 years. But then I look to the other roids symptoms and know I have those too.

Funding campaigns are over the top in terms of volume but they are paying for that. Lots of things kill you or make you live a very difficult life. The issue with cancer is the rate of getting it balanced with the possible impacts so it gets more awareness. But the campaigns focus on the positives of their organisations as their adverts show them helping people, not peddle so little information as too be misleading like the government campaigns.

They are necessary but I don't believe they are formatted the best way. It's certainly a problem that some ignore their health but these campaigns also get derided and ignored for their "symptoms in isolation" promotion too by some. I guess those who ignore them, like me, might be more likely to look for other symptoms and then consult a GP?

Something interesting is a few months back my local hospital cited two reasons for failing national response standards for breast cancer referrals. One was awareness campaigning had increased referrals beyond expected rates. I find that interesting since breastfeeding cancer rates won't have shot up with it. But that does point to a problem with GP's referring when they shouldn't.

I agree about the increase in campaigning. It wasn't like this until more recently in the UK. HIV awareness was like that for a while when it started and then the government seemed to give up on it.

Finally someone who did get my point. Some of the stories are definetely encouriging health anxiety and doctor shopping as I stated previously; that one should never ever trust a stomach pain for being just...well....stomach pain but that one should excpect the worst case scenario. And I do.

ServerError
13-10-16, 15:06
It's not that people don't get your point (although I'm a bit confused about exactly what you want). It's just that people are challenging it because you're coming at it from the perspective of someone who believes he has pancreatic cancer when he doesn't.

paranoid-viking
13-10-16, 15:13
It's not that people don't get your point (although I'm a bit confused about exactly what you want). It's just that people are challenging it because you're coming at it from the perspective of someone who believes he has pancreatic cancer when he doesn't.

My point is that sometimes these campaigns can be a slightly too much...alarming. To the point where people with minor issues rush to the doctor and then taking up their times. Please let us not make me and my other issues the point here. And I think that Terry made a very good point that people
who notices blood in stool and othere unusual things should go and consult a doctor and that the same sensible people does not need a cancer awareness campaign to tell them that this is something the docs should look into.

But I do agree with the point that the Health Ignorants needs to watch these campaigns. But apart from that and the need to raise funds for cancer science I see no other points in the way these campaigns are presenting themselves.

ServerError
13-10-16, 15:18
I guess it comes down to perception. I don't know whether we're talking print media or television or social media - I assume all of it.

I can't say I've ever seen anything that got me really worried or triggered. If I read the Daily Mail that might be different. But in terms of our government/NHS/charities here in the UK, most campaigns seem to be about tackling taboos, making it okay to talk about illness and encouraging the reluctant (especially men) to see the doctor.

I can't think of a campaign (outside of the sensationalist media) that said "be careful because that slight ache could kill you by next week". Although if I hit Google hard enough, I'm sure I could find one.

Regardless, it's up to us to decide how to react to these things. And if we have a bad reaction, we need to look at why that is, and to challenge it.

Mercime
13-10-16, 15:24
I'm confused. Are we talking about the adverts, such as "if you've had a cough for more than six weeks, go to your doc", or the ones for the cancer charities showing people with cancer?

ServerError
13-10-16, 15:26
I'm confused. Are we talking about the adverts, such as "if you've had a cough for more than six weeks, go to your doc", or the ones for the cancer charities showing people with cancer?

I wouldn't say either case are that alarmist. The first is good advice. The second is just being realistic about cancer in order to raise awareness and money.

But I guess I don't really have health anxiety.

paranoid-viking
13-10-16, 15:40
I guess it comes down to perception. I don't know whether we're talking print media or television or social media - I assume all of it.

I can't say I've ever seen anything that got me really worried or triggered. If I read the Daily Mail that might be different. But in terms of our government/NHS/charities here in the UK, most campaigns seem to be about tackling taboos, making it okay to talk about illness and encouraging the reluctant (especially men) to see the doctor.

I can't think of a campaign (outside of the sensationalist media) that said "be careful because that slight ache could kill you by next week". Although if I hit Google hard enough, I'm sure I could find one.

Regardless, it's up to us to decide how to react to these things. And if we have a bad reaction, we need to look at why that is, and to challenge it.

Sometimes these campaigns goes hand in hand - like when there is a x cancer awarness week or something and of course sensationalist media are the worst in scaremongering.

As for taboos; I mean, being seriously ill with cancer is not a taboo is it? I mean; no one looks down upon people suffering from cancer; no one I ever met of course. Every family have or have had someone with cancer so excactly what taboos are we talking about? I mean; it is not like the old fashioned HIV campaigns; cause HIV was(and possibilly still is)ascosciated with a stigma that those suffering from it becuase of what some bigotted people label as "degenerated lifestyle" or something. Actually, many HIV patients 20-30 years ago were lying to people saying that what they had was cancer to avoid the stigma.
But I may be wrong; there may be someone with predjudices against cancer patients but I have never met or heard about anyone.

And I have seen on the official campaigns sites testemonies from patients clearly stating "it started witha a stomach pain but thought it was probably nothing and it came and wait". The way I see it they present a clear message - if you have stomach pain rush to the doctor NOW!

---------- Post added at 16:40 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

One should definetely go to the doc after 6 weeks with cough but not after a little stomach cramp; still some campaigns and tabloid media news are saying so.

rainbow
13-10-16, 15:42
I have had HA since the death of my dad 13 years ago. I have good times and really awful times. Going through a bad patch atm. I have to admit that I find the cancer campaigns and adverts very unnerving so I can see where the original poster is coming from. I tend to see everything as a sign when I'm really worried about a particular cancer. I know it sounds crazy but HA is'nt a rational illness.

Mercime
13-10-16, 15:42
Right. I guess I don't understand what the issue is here? The first type encourage a visit to the doc to get checked out, it's not encouraging anyone to keep going, as the assumption is that at that first appt. either there will be a referral needed, or more likely, no further action. I'm not too sure about the Health Ignorant tag either - PV, what is your suggestion for reasonable public awareness?

ServerError
13-10-16, 15:43
Cancer is not a taboo in itself, no. But there is a social taboo in the UK about talking about it. It's a bit of an elephant in our collective room. It's especially the case among men.

I think we're going round in circles. What we're really looking at here is the way different people react to different things. If I heard about a cancer sufferer with stomach pains, I wouldn't think I had to rush to the doctor. I'd think I'd monitor it and if it didn't improve, or if it felt different to a normal pain, I'd get it checked out. I recently got something checked out on my skin. I decided to do it because I was informed about what to do if things on your skin change or appear to be new. I was fine, but it was sensible to follow the advice.

I've seen someone with terminal cancer, so maybe that's why I don't worry so much. No campaign about cancer will affect me more than watching my granddad die of it. He didn't suffer a great deal of pain, he just faded away over a six month period. No awareness campaign is going to have a bigger impact on me than seeing that, though.

paranoid-viking
13-10-16, 15:51
Right. I guess I don't understand what the issue is here? The first type encourage a visit to the doc to get checked out, it's not encouraging anyone to keep going, as the assumption is that at that first appt. either there will be a referral needed, or more likely, no further action. I'm not too sure about the Health Ignorant tag either - PV, what is your suggestion for reasonable public awareness?

I think I stated it clearly earlier. If the body stop functioning proparly and one suffers pain for longer than usual one should go see a doctor and telll the doctor anything.

I am not saying there should not be awarnes campaings, but that they pershaps are exagarating in the way they are presented. And that they may fuel unnescescary anxiety; it is not good for the health servies that a doc suddenly gets more visits than usual after they heard something in the media the other day that the stomach pain the other day may be the forst sign of a deadly cancer because they heard that from a campaing.

Reasonable public awareness.
I can repat it shortly
1)encouragin people to live healthy so that the risk of getting something bad is reduced significantly
2)stating that if something is abnormal and painful in the body for a longer one should see the doc ASAP and then let the health servoce try to find out what this is. Obvious for most people, but perhaps not for the health ignorants

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:48 ----------

I think we're going round in circles. What we're really looking at here is the way different people react to different things. If I heard about a cancer sufferer with stomach pains, I wouldn't think I had to rush to the doctor. I'd think I'd monitor it and if it didn't improve, or if it felt different to a normal pain, I'd get it checked out. I recently got something checked out on my skin. I decided to do it because I was informed about what to do if things on your skin change or appear to be new. I was fine, but it was sensible to follow the advice.

Excactly! That is what I tried to point out too. One does not need to hear the nightmarish tales in the media to do that.

Mercime
13-10-16, 15:57
I haven't seen a campaign or advert that says if you have a stomach pain, then you may have the first sign of cancer. But maybe you have. I don't really know what to say to be honest. As a person who had cancer, I get fed up with all the adverts as I find them a constant reminder, and I don't want to be reminded. There are campaigns such as the cervical smear campaign, the bowel cancer campaign, where the little envelope and spoon arrive in the post, the mammogram invites..
I can understand it can be triggering. It triggers me, but for different reasons. I think there are too many ads, but what I've seen, well.. I'm not sure how else they could put it.

paranoid-viking
13-10-16, 16:02
I haven't seen a campaign or advert that says if you have a stomach pain, then you may have the first sign of cancer. But maybe you have. I don't really know what to say to be honest. As a person who had cancer, I get fed up with all the adverts as I find them a constant reminder, and I don't want to be reminded. There are campaigns such as the cervical smear campaign, the bowel cancer campaign, where the little envelope and spoon arrive in the post, the mammogram invites..
I can understand it can be triggering. It triggers me, but for different reasons. I think there are too many ads, but what I've seen, well.. I'm not sure how else they could put it.

I have seen it but I am not going to provide any link. And some are not saying it directly but patients testemonies has an underlying message when it is presented. "At first it was a little stomach pain so I ignored it; I whis I had not"....

ServerError
13-10-16, 16:06
I'm still not sure what nightmarish tales we're referring to. I know where I'd find nightmarish tales if I wanted to. But I don't go looking for them, so I don't find them.

And public health advice about skin cancer is what got me to the doctor to get checked out. I wouldn't say there was anything scary about the advice.

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

I have seen it but I am not going to provide any link. And some are not saying it directly but patients testemonies has an underlying message when it is presented. "At first it was a little stomach pain so I ignored it; I whis I had not"....

Patients' testimonies are obviously going to include references to their experience of their condition. But how often to you come across a really detailed account without looking for it?

Again, I reckon I could find them if I wanted to. I'm not denying they exist. But I rarely come across a situation where I'm forced to hear the minutiae of someone's cancer.

Mercime
13-10-16, 16:15
PV, are you talking about ordinary TVs adverts? In between tv programmes? Or something else?

paranoid-viking
13-10-16, 16:24
PV, are you talking about ordinary TVs adverts? In between tv programmes? Or something else?

Anything that is linked to awareness campaings, TV ads, pop-ups, webpages for awareness, in TV programmes, in between TV programmes, in newspapers....everywhere.

Mercime
13-10-16, 17:27
If you go looking, that's what you'll find. I'm sorry, and I really do mean that, but if you're looking for subliminal messages, that's what you'll find. People do tell their stories, their experience, and while I understand it's very frightening for someone with HA seeing all this info, for somebody diagnosed, it can be a lifeline. I hope you accept what your doctors have said, and find some peace xx

paranoid-viking
13-10-16, 17:52
If you go looking, that's what you'll find. I'm sorry, and I really do mean that, but if you're looking for subliminal messages, that's what you'll find. People do tell their stories, their experience, and while I understand it's very frightening for someone with HA seeing all this info, for somebody diagnosed, it can be a lifeline. I hope you accept what your doctors have said, and find some peace xx

The docs have said something that contradicts what some of these patient stories says unless I have completely misinterpretated something. But no one is given me a clear and straight answer so the only think I have is the time frame. If I am alive within a year....that is obviously the only thing I can cling too.

ServerError
13-10-16, 18:01
The doctors gave you a clear and straight answer. What more do you need?

paranoid-viking
13-10-16, 18:06
Again; i must repeat; let us keep personal focus out of here. I did not start the thread this time to talk about the horryfying fear I go through at the moment that I would not wish upon my worst enemy; I have pretty much given up starting such thread. This time I did not mean to focus on me; so let us leave it with that please.
My point was a dicussion about wheter it is nescesarily with all the media and public focus of ilnesses and tragedies and wheter it is not better for the public to focus on awarneness for healthy living to prevent as much as possible that people developing some serious things. But I see that the focus became switched towards me and after all I did not want to talk about my fear this time but that is how it turned out so well....

ServerError
13-10-16, 18:08
You said you're not getting straight answers. Clearly this is at least partly about you. Your whole point of view is clouded by your anxiety. It's relevant.

paranoid-viking
13-10-16, 18:15
The doctors gave you a clear and straight answer. What more do you need?

OK, again; this time I did not start a thread to talk about ME but since we are at it; I hoped; in previous thread that someone who had a similar scare or similar SYMPTOMS or who perhaps knew one thing or two about testing could share some insight that would be useful but I have not seen much of that so this time I started to discuss other things which someone switced towards focus on ME and my anxiety.
I am going to do something I previously said I would never do; I am going to pay money to ask an expert online with very detailed questions.

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:12 ----------

You said you're not getting straight answers. Clearly this is at least partly about you. Your whole point of view is clouded by your anxiety. It's relevant.

Still, I was starting a general discussion. And I never intended it to be about me. And I have also felt and meant before this nightmare begun that the media and public focus way too much about ilness and death.

ServerError
13-10-16, 18:25
I'm sorry if you feel I've attempted to direct this onto you. That was not my intention.

I simply found it hard to figure out exactly what these campaigns are that you felt might go too far. As I've already said, I believe they exist and am sure I could find them, but I also believe it ultimately comes down to our own response and that's where our own particular situations and outlooks come in. It's clear that your outlook and circumstances are playing a part, which is why I ended up making references to it.

I can certainly accept that there are cases of health campaigns that seem designed to scare or unsettle rather than inform. But I don't trust the sources of these types of stories or campaigns very much and wouldn't seek them out.

Gary A
13-10-16, 18:26
The public need to be educated about potential health risks. How many people would ignore chest pain of it weren't for campaigns about signs of a heart attack?

If 1 person is still alive because of a media campaign, then it's worth it. Someone having life saving medical treatment based on an infomercial about health risks, that's much more important than the medical world being concerned about how worried you get.

The medical world would much rather see a room full of people who are worrying over nothing than they would see you on a slab.

That's really the simple answer here.

Sefton
13-10-16, 20:26
Anything that triggers your anxiety is overwhelming. I'm very sensitive to anything health (cancer) related and do try to avoid media coverage. Its the same when I'm dieting, there always seems to be more chocolate coverage than when I'm not on a diet.

paranoid-viking
13-10-16, 21:47
The public need to be educated about potential health risks. How many people would ignore chest pain of it weren't for campaigns about signs of a heart attack?

If 1 person is still alive because of a media campaign, then it's worth it. Someone having life saving medical treatment based on an infomercial about health risks, that's much more important than the medical world being concerned about how worried you get.

The medical world would much rather see a room full of people who are worrying over nothing than they would see you on a slab.

That's really the simple answer here.

Now heart attack is another question altogether. But I will guess that all sensible people will have themself transfered to the ER immediately if experiencing severe and violent chest pains. But if there are people to ignorant to ignore such violent pain; yes an awarness of what heart attack is is definetetely important. But is a temporary mild chest pain that last for minutes a reason to rush to ER?

Anyway; I defiteley think that anyone over a certain age should go and have an EKG check at least twice a year to find out if their heart is good or if they need to be careful. And of course listen to every advice the doc gives and take them seriously. And here again I am at the point I was making: healthy living awareness. Healthy living is definetely reducing any risk of heart attack. My grandap died of heart attack; 30 years ago now and I do wished that he would be around longer than he did.

But my point is the constant cancer awareness campaigns that is thrown down or throat constantly over and over and over with horrible witness stories of death and destruction. I dont want to hear or know. I wished I had never ever heard or read about a certain type of cancer that nearly all victims dies of. What hope there if one has it anyway? The best thing is to do things to prevent it ever happening.
And again; if one experience something happening to you that is not normal one should see a doctor. That is common sense.

Fishmanpa
13-10-16, 21:53
There's always the mute button and/or you can "choose" not to view it? :winks:

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
13-10-16, 22:58
It's too late once trigger pops up on the screen.

The ads I was talking about are the "blood in your poo", "coughing for more than a few weeks" and the later one that included gassiness! The latter fits every IBS patient going I would imagine AND this campaign was derided in the media as being too close to what could be normal and too vague on that basis.

It's a scattergun approach. It's a lazy approach. Saying it could be nothing BUT "it could be a sign of cancer" is a classic psychological hook used in marketing/advertising. It's even used in therapy for challenging motivation. Plus the emphasis is on the CANCER and a lack of emphasis on the many likely nothing issues. So, it's a scare tactic, just a more moderate one. I don't think it's the best way either because it's putting pressure on the NHS ad I mentioned earlier.

There may be a better way? It's not just causing issues for HA people.

Mercime
13-10-16, 23:04
The only way I can think of to avoid triggers like these is avoid watching tv, avoid reading newspapers, avoid typing the "c" word into your browser.

KatiePink
13-10-16, 23:05

The ads I was talking about are the "blood in your poo", "coughing for more than a few weeks" and the later one that included gassiness! The latter fits every IBS patient going I would imagine AND this campaign was derived in the media as being too close to what could be normal and too vague on that basis.

It's a scattergun approach. It's a lazy approach. Saying it could be nothing BUT "it could be a sign of cancer" is a classic psychological hook used in marketing/advertising. It's even used in therapy for challenging motivation. Plus the emphasis is on the CANCER and a lack of emphasis on the many likely nothing issues. So, it's a scare tactic, just a more moderate one. I don't think it's the best way either because it's putting pressure on the NHS ad I mentioned earlier.

Agree with everything you said about this.

On another note I think putting more time into encouraging healthier eating/lifestyle habits is positive and effective without fear.

MyNameIsTerry
13-10-16, 23:09
I think you have to just accept it. You can block some of it but how do you block all the posters on the streets? You would have to also plan your route to avoid charity shops.

Avoidance is one of the big no-no's in anxiety recovery. It may be needed when you are at your worst so your therapist can approach it properly in ERP but the plan has to be to be able to tolerate these triggers and hopefully overcome them. Those who just keep blocking may not always realise how they are reinforcing their anxiety, I was like that the first time around with mine until I learnt more.

KatiePink
13-10-16, 23:12
I just think theres FEAR thrown in our faces on a daily basis from the news, adverts, billboards ect so much to fear or to buy!!
No positivity and it effects people even if they arent aware of it on a conscious level :weep:

People do need to be aware of signs that could potentially save their life or a loved ones but I dunno, I just don't like the way it's done :unsure:

paranoid-viking
13-10-16, 23:22

The ads I was talking about are the "blood in your poo", "coughing for more than a few weeks" and the later one that included gassiness! The latter fits every IBS patient going I would imagine AND this campaign was derided in the media as being too close to what could be normal and too vague on that basis.

Again; I perfectly agree with everything you said. You nailed completely the point I was trying to make and which someone seems too misinterpretate.
Especially the one about how it cuases unnescescary preasure on the health services. And may take rescources away from treating patients that is actually ill.

---------- Post added at 00:19 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

The only way I can think of to avoid triggers like these is avoid watching tv, avoid reading newspapers, avoid typing the "c" word into your browser.

AdBlock is a good tool too. Some of the "10 signs that means you have a deadly disease and will die" type of "articles" are based on click income from ads. Fortunately more and more people are using AdBlock which means they lose their income and will force this type of "journalism" to bancrupcy; and it will hardly be missed. The click economy is allready suffering and that is a good thing.

---------- Post added at 00:22 ---------- Previous post was at 00:19 ----------

I just think theres FEAR thrown in our faces on a daily basis from the news, adverts, billboards ect so much to fear or to buy!!
No positivity and it effects people even if they arent aware of it on a conscious level :weep:

People do need to be aware of signs that could potentially save their life or a loved ones but I dunno, I just don't like the way it's done :unsure:

But people do not to be alert on diesases that it is very unlikely that they have; suggesting that every stomach pain or muscle ache is a red flag death signal. But that is what all these "awarenes" are telling us.

MyNameIsTerry
14-10-16, 05:35
Again; I perfectly agree with everything you said. You nailed completely the point I was trying to make and which someone seems too misinterpretate.
Especially the one about how it cuases unnescescary preasure on the health services. And may take rescources away from treating patients that is actually ill.

Well PV this is the point of view of people I have spoken to who don't have anxiety disorders. They want campaigning but they also think the government ones are rubbish because they are so vague.

The "blood in your poo" one shows a man saying he has found blood in his poo and then he says that he is also very very loose. That's another symptom and may help them diagnose better but it's also a classic case of someone with IBS. Blood on the paper or in the bowl, as evidenced by many threads on here, tends to be roids or fissures. It doesn't even say what type of blood, fresh or congealed?

They are aiming at the 1 person so they don't die but it would be great if they could make the adverts more accurate to what most GP's are going to find. Saying it "could be something else" is pretty poor when "it's most likely going to be something else". It's just a way to underline the point of cancer being a possibility. I suspect they know they are playing the hysteria card.

Air time is limited though so there is only so much they can do. It just keeps bringing me back to my local hospital failing their breast cancer targets. Referrals have gone up waayyy beyond predicted levels yet no mention of breast cancer increase. So, are more people running to their GP or are the GP's getting afraid to make a judgement call and wasting NHS money on pointless tests which has the knock on effect of pushing back those who actually do get diagnosed with breast cancer?

---------- Post added at 05:35 ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 ----------

Agree with everything you said about this.

On another note I think putting more time into encouraging healthier eating/lifestyle habits is positive and effective without fear.

Yes, definitely on healthy living. There is certainly lots out there on the internet but not much on TV other than those Change4Life brief ads. You have to search your own "anti cancer" stuff out.

Mercime
14-10-16, 06:22
Well PV this is the point of view of people I have spoken to who don't have anxiety disorders. They want campaigning but they also think the government ones are rubbish because they are so vague.

The "blood in your poo" one shows a man saying he has found blood in his poo and then he says that he is also very very loose. That's another symptom and may help them diagnose better but it's also a classic case of someone with IBS. Blood on the paper or in the bowl, as evidenced by many threads on here, tends to be roids or fissures. It doesn't even say what type of blood, fresh or congealed?

They are aiming at the 1 person so they don't die but it would be great if they could make the adverts more accurate to what most GP's are going to find. Saying it "could be something else" is pretty poor when "it's most likely going to be something else". It's just a way to underline the point of cancer being a possibility. I suspect they know they are playing the hysteria card.

Air time is limited though so there is only so much they can do. It just keeps bringing me back to my local hospital failing their breast cancer targets. Referrals have gone up waayyy beyond predicted levels yet no mention of breast cancer increase. So, are more people running to their GP or are the GP's getting afraid to make a judgement call and wasting NHS money on pointless tests which has the knock on effect of pushing back those who actually do get diagnosed with breast cancer?

---------- Post added at 05:35 ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 ----------

Yes, definitely on healthy living. There is certainly lots out there on the internet but not much on TV other than those Change4Life brief ads. You have to search your own "anti cancer" stuff out.

Maybe the breast cancer referrals are due to the nature of things like mammograms? It is made quite clear in the leaflets that misinterpretation of results is not a rarity, but as its not always clear, one could be treated for a possible cancer that they don't actually have - it's all very convoluted.

Regarding the adverts, yes, I would assume that they want to get the ones who do have a life threatening condition to present themselves and be diagnosed and treated, so they're not going to concentrate on the "but it's probably something else" as that won't be attracting the target audience.

Health - Well, of course there should be a focus on that side of things. Without triggering on the HA section, some cancers are totally unrelated to how healthy someone is, for many it's just an unlucky happening. Money talks, and while the fast foods, sweets, and assorted crap is getting the bulk of the advertising space, people aren't going to take much notice of healthy living stuff.

MyNameIsTerry
14-10-16, 06:36
Maybe the breast cancer referrals are due to the nature of things like mammograms? It is made quite clear in the leaflets that misinterpretation of results is not a rarity, but as its not always clear, one could be treated for a possible cancer that they don't actually have - it's all very convoluted.

I can't remember exactly but the hospital CEO cited two reasons for target failures and one was too many referrals tracked back to the start of NHS cancer awareness campaigning. They didn't have the staff to cope with what they expected.

Considering he was blaming another area of the NHS, I would expect he checked that out first so he wasn't hauled over the coals for it.

Fishmanpa
14-10-16, 12:58
The bottom line on this is either learn to deal with it or continue to allow it to affect you in a negative way. Unless you get rid of all forms of media and access to it you'll see, hear or read about it. And that goes for anything you find unpleasent. I doubt you're going to move to a mountaintop in Tibet, take a vow of silence and live in a hole by yourself so learn to accept and deal with "what is" as opposed to wishing it would change for the sake of your (general term encompassing everyone) anxiety about it.

Positive thoughts

Magic
14-10-16, 13:29
Oh heck, got a stiff neck. Good subject though. I won't be watching anything to do with what this thread started.
Talking about healthy life style. That's a good thing but it does not mean you will never have cancer does it???
My neighbours G/F has cancer. If the 3rd lot of chemo has not zapped it out then she has been given a time limit. Can happen to any of us, so just be aware of your bodily symptoms, Take care, and live life to the full:unsure:

Elen
14-10-16, 13:50
Speaking as one of the HI I don't see a problem with these campaigns.

If it raises awareness it can only be a good thing and I am sure that I am not alone in rarely crossing over a doctor's threshold.

Bear in mind that google, facebook and youtube etc are all very adapt at scrutinising our browsing habits and suggesting items based on what we have viewed previously.

I think that I have learned, (and been misinformed), more about cancer from this forum than I have from anywhere else.

As always, we see what we want to see or what we go searching for.

unsure_about_this
14-10-16, 14:28
These awareness campains do scare me, but if we are pointed out the symptoms to look out for what could be bowel, breast, prostate etc.

I even struggled to walk past some sort cancer charity campain with his tin.
today

I cannot run away from every advert, charity shop

KatiePink
14-10-16, 16:10
Talking about healthy life style. That's a good thing but it does not mean you will never have cancer does it???
My neighbours G/F has cancer. If the 3rd lot of chemo has not zapped it out then she has been given a time limit. Can happen to any of us, so just be aware of your bodily symptoms, Take care, and live life to the full

It certainly doesn't mean you will never get cancer, but living a healthier lifestyle, not smoking, reduced stress, healthier diet, correct sleep and exercise will certainly lessen the likelihood of certain cancers/heart issues ect.

I wish this information was out there more and not bad stuff being shoved down our throats all the time.

About the adverts/campaigns ect i don't think we shouldn't have them but think some are far too aggressive and personally don't think there's a need for the fear tactics, there has to be better ways to get the point and importance across, I've saw some that are just terrible. I don't believe it's the only way to get people to pay attention :shrug:

---------- Post added at 16:10 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

I had to watch my nan lose her battle with cancer and it was absolutely devastating, i understand the need for awareness, but some things I've seen don't even give you any information they just instill fear and worry I don't think they're useful.

JosieLouise
14-10-16, 21:22
I had the exact same conversation with my therapist today. Adverts and suchlike tend to trigger me as severely as my physical symptoms, because I can't possibly rationalise them completely away. I can't stop other people getting cancer.
This week I'm doing exposure therapy. I've got to watch a triggering advert every day fro a week and then rate my anxiety before/during/after. I'm nervous but I know it's going to help.

Mercime
14-10-16, 22:15
I watched an advert with Davina McColl last night. It was upsetting because it was triggering for me, so Lord knows what it would do for others. It was followed by the figures about how many people supposedly get it, then the fund raising pitch. It is coming from all sides at the moment, fundraising (although I have my doubts about some of the larger charities and how that funding is used). There is no avoiding it, it's either acclimatise or hibernate.

MyNameIsTerry
14-10-16, 23:33
I watched an advert with Davina McColl last night. It was upsetting because it was triggering for me, so Lord knows what it would do for others. It was followed by the figures about how many people supposedly get it, then the fund raising pitch. It is coming from all sides at the moment, fundraising (although I have my doubts about some of the larger charities and how that funding is used). There is no avoiding it, it's either acclimatise or hibernate.

What do you make of the Stand Up To Cancer statistics, Mercime? Are they real? They seem very high and without looking at what the charities say, I'm wondering if they've based them on cancer in general when some cancers are very easy to deal with like the consultant told my dad about his?

If they are, I don't think that is right.

I remember when they ran it a previous year and I'm sure I checked the Cancer Research site to find a lower ratio.

I think with the bigger charities you will get the same issues as the others with overspending on execs.

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:51 ----------

Anyone remember the smoking ones? They went a bit too far. It's also not seeing all the packets on the floor with the pictures on.

I think they all but wrote "this will kill you" on the packs eventually.

Mercime
14-10-16, 23:49
Yes, I'm querying those stats too Terry. Without causing undue concern here, there seems to be (according to them) of a third more than there was only a year or so ago.
There's McMillan, Cancer Research, now stand up..I think people should know exactly where there money goes and in the case of Stand Up, the proof behind the figures. I don't actually believe them, I think the other figure was more accurate - also the wording, knowing someone AFFECTED by it, not suffering from it.

Leah88
15-10-16, 04:23
I agree, awareness campaigns with a donation straight to the scientists working on a cure would be ok but awareness campaigns for the sake of awareness is a silly idea. Everyone knows humans get cancer and people should by 2016 know what reduces/ increases risk etc. An example that annoyed me recently was an awareness campaign at the hospital where I work for pancreatic cancer. On the poster it said " symptoms usually appear in late stages when treatment is difficult "... what help is telling somebody that?... You would literally only be aware when you are going to probably die soon. Plus awareness campaigns usually waiste money on middle men and administration, very little goes into the labs.

paranoid-viking
15-10-16, 12:55
It certainly doesn't mean you will never get cancer, but living a healthier lifestyle, not smoking, reduced stress, healthier diet, correct sleep and exercise will certainly lessen the likelihood of certain cancers/heart issues ect.

I wish this information was out there more and not bad stuff being shoved down our throats all the time.

About the adverts/campaigns ect i don't think we shouldn't have them but think some are far too aggressive and personally don't think there's a need for the fear tactics, there has to be better ways to get the point and importance across, I've saw some that are just terrible. I don't believe it's the only way to get people to pay attention :shrug:[COLOR="blue"]

Fear tactics is the word. Especially the cancer I fear the most and which 96% of its victims dies from. I noticed one of them and they are not even mentioning how to avoid ever getting not at all; just hoorible and destructive tales and metioning of symptoms "you must never avoid". One of them was apparantly anxiety and depression. Hmmm....I have had that since I was a teenager....my gog I must have had pancreatic cancer for 25 years without even checking it up!
And as Terry mentions, they use sales tactic making exceptions the rule. Never saying "it is very unlikely that this means you have this but it is a symptom forund" they say it is found in other ilnesses than the cancer or sometimes not even mentioning it.
And by making exceptions the rule they are misleading the public witht their scare tactic. For example, they used what was probably the only 23 year old in the UK with PC; God rest her soul; in a PC awareness campaigns. I mean; why not have a awareness campaing saying you child may be having progaria; after all there is about 15 children in the world with that condition; or use the only 17 year old in the world with Alzheimer(yes they found one)in an Alzheimer awareness asking "are you teenager forgetting things more than ususal?"
Yes, the awareness campaigns goes over the top and to extremes. We need more campaigns telling us how to live instead of campaigns telleing us how to die.

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

I agree, awareness campaigns with a donation straight to the scientists working on a cure would be ok but awareness campaigns for the sake of awareness is a silly idea. Everyone knows humans get cancer and people should by 2016 know what reduces/ increases risk etc. An example that annoyed me recently was an awareness campaign at the hospital where I work for pancreatic cancer. On the poster it said " symptoms usually appear in late stages when treatment is difficult "... what help is telling somebody that?... You would literally only be aware when you are going to probably die soon. Plus awareness campaigns usually waiste money on middle men and administration, very little goes into the labs.

Excactly! When someone gets pancreatic cancer they die so what is the point of alarming people then? May as well have awareness campaings telling us what is happening woth our corpses when we die. Then it is more useful to tell people HOW NOT TO GET IT! Yes, for that particular cancer the awarenes campaings should be catering to scientists only.