PDA

View Full Version : Agitation?

.Poppy.
13-10-16, 20:33
So, probably 90% of the time my anxiety is health related. Recently, though, that has changed. I'm going to graduate in December and am frantically applying for jobs. I've had two interviews (last week) but haven't heard back. And I continue to apply to new jobs as well.

I'm eduacated and I have a decent amount of experience. I'm a hard worker and willing to learn quickly. I have no shortage of great references. I have a good resume, and am a decent writer so my cover letters are usually good as well.

I feel like I'm doing all I can and everything else is out of my control. I don't know if I should be following up, or how to do so in a way that isn't awkward.

Because of this, I am sooooo agitated. I can't sit still, literally. I'm constantly having to walk around or fidget with something. I jiggle my legs a lot while sitting down. I just can't. Sit. Still.

I'm also worried about becoming depressed. Historically, prolonged anxiety has left me feeling utterly hopeless and then my depressive symptoms sink back in. I lose all motivation and begin to just hate everything about myself. I can't afford that, certainly not now, but I can feel it happening and idk what to do.

Any advice?

.Poppy.
14-10-16, 23:39
Sorry to bump, but any tips? I'm not seeing a therapist currently and I feel like I'm going to crawl out of my skin. Any way to ease this agitated feeling?

Fishmanpa
15-10-16, 06:01
Poppy....

I'm not a sufferer but for me, especially lately, the stress and anxiety I'm experiencing has been manifesting itself into agitation. It was that way with the "scanxiety" as well. I get impatient, short fuse and generally miserable when under stress. I find that taking a "time out" helps. For instance, today, I got a call from the hospital. My wife was having a minor "episode" and they called to have me speak with her on the phone as I have a calming effect on her. Hearing her struggling on the other end of the phone and not being there personally to help crushed me and afterwards I was a mess. I couldn't deal with speaking to customers face to face and needed to decompress. I took a walk down the street to a stream nearby and sat for a while to gather myself.

It's perfectly natural for your stress and anxiety to manifest itself into frustration and agitation. the key is to find a 'release" so you can better cope.

Positive thoughts

.Poppy.
15-10-16, 18:50
Thanks Fishmanpa, I have been trying to listen to calming music and nature sounds to try to chill me out. It's helping - a bit.

Obviously what I am going through isn't nearly as scary as what you are having to face; logically I can admit that but I'm not in a place where logic is frequent right now. :/ I just feel like I'm drowning a bit and grasping frantically at things yet there's not much I can do and I feel I'll always come up empty.

I will say, I am so not a fan of this can't-sit-still feeling, I think I hate it more than when I could barely get out of bed.

MyNameIsTerry
16-10-16, 05:43
I've often thought my agitation is the worst symptom, it's really horrible at it's worst. I can feel myself building up a scream inside.

Sitting is tough when it's really bad. It's probably best to get some light exercise to burn off some of the adrenaline. You will likely feel the immense tension in your body less if you are moving around, something aerobic.

pulisa
16-10-16, 17:24
This is my worst symptom and it can be really distressing. I haven't any answers to it really-as Terry suggests, walking can burn off some of the feelings of not being able to sit still but constant restlessness is exhausting and staying with your feelings and letting them happen is very hard but probably the best thing. I've never been able to master this but my agitation is pretty entrenched.

I hope you feel more at ease soon-your job situation won't be helping things. Don't put yourself under too much pressure?