PDA

View Full Version : Exposure Therapy helpful?

ninz94
13-10-16, 21:33
As I have said before, my 'phobia' of seizures has been ruining me for the past over 6 months, its caused me to have GAD symptoms, health anxiety and panic attacks. I also have alarming symptoms from anxiety, such as dizziness which I fear I have a brain tumor or any fatal illness to do with my brain. I have witnessed sizures a long time ago with my mother but hers weren't epileptic. That's why I have a fear of them (apologies to those who suffer from them) it sort of gave my mind a reason to fear and cause panic attacks.

I have never suffered from them nor do I at the moment I just fear them especially when I feel edgy or 'not right' I feel as if I may suffer from one but no blackouts, hallucinations or anything like that.
Anyway, my counsellor spoke about 'exposure therapy' to help me rid of my fear of them but I never took any notice and was against her request. Just yesterday I landed up watching a video of someone having one and somehow carried on watching seizure videos on youtube that left me terrified and panicked. I even cried and couldn't stop imagining what I saw in my mind it left me scared till today I can't stop thinking of what I saw and how dramatic that video was. It was on my mind the whole day today, I don't work I'm at home all day alone in my thoughts.
I called my counsellor this evening telling her about my 'exposure' on the web and how terrified that left me. She told me to continue watching them and get my mind used to seeing them so I don't fear them. I did some research on seizures around the time my mother had them, so I do know about them I also acknowledge they are harmful and there is no control over them but I can't help being so afraid of them. Should I do more exposing? I do feel as if seeing them again might help put my mind at ease but I am scared. :weep:

Mercime
13-10-16, 22:34
Any exposure to something that terrifies you is so, so hard - but it really is the only way to try and move past it. Can I make a suggestion? Therapists are very good at going for the "all or nothing" approach (maybe they should try it!) but you can work at this on your own. No avoiding though! Start off by maybe watching, or reading about it, for five minutes. You will feel the terror, but you know there will be an end to it. Then extend the time, but by bit. You have to be disciplined to do this, but it's perfectly possible. If you can, write down how you felt. Or, you could watch the same clip three times with a short break in between.

There will come a point where you will have to let go and let the fear come - but it can't hurt you xx

Beachlady
14-10-16, 00:26
Exposure therapy, done properly and properly monitored, is a great strategy. As some who has illness anxiety, you’re stuck in the world of “what if.” Exposure therapy forces you to experience the negative feelings and teaches you that you can survive them.

MyNameIsTerry
14-10-16, 05:26
There are various forms of exposure therapy, the one with the most evidence to help is ERP. This works by creating a hierarchy from easiest to hardest and you work through them and conquer things bit by bit. The idea behind this is Pavlovian Extinction, just like Pavlov's dog, you learn to no longer fear these exposures.

There are other methods like the older "flooding" where you immerse yourself in your greatest fears. This can be hard and even traumatic.

Other methods include using imagery or even substances to cause panic symptoms. The latter being for professionals only.

If you WANT to do this, wanting is very important as it empowers you. It will be hard, as said already exposure work is challenging your fears head on. The idea is that your anxiety levels quickly peak but then decline over time (20-30 mins I think), there are diagrams that show this as my therapist gave me.

But if you find you can't, talk to your counsellor about ERP. That way you design a "ladder" and start of with something less panic provoking.

Mermaid16
14-10-16, 08:41
Hi! I hope that this doesn't make you feel worse, but I have had a seizure (grand mal). The truth is, for the person having the seizure it isn't scary as such as you have no recollection of it actually happening. I remember feeling confused just before it happened and then waking up in an ambulance still somewhat confused, but clarity came back after a few minutes. I have absolutely no recollection of it actually happening and only know what happened during the seizure from what my husband told me. So for the person having it, it isn't as bad as it looks, because you can't remember it.

Primula
14-10-16, 09:13
Yes creating a hierarchy is the way to go. Starting with the least frightening. It's hard work but rewarding.