PDA

View Full Version : This is no life :(

jefner
14-10-16, 16:51
Hi everyone, I haven't posted her for a long time but suppose I just wanted a moan.

I am 54, hypothyroid for the last 10yrs and then my body crashed a year ago when I found out I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune). I have unknowingly had it for many years as an ultrasound on my thyroid a few months ago confirmed that it's pretty much destroyed.

To add insult to injury I also have high cortisol levels and the severe anxiety it causes along with nausea, depression and now agoraphobia has been with me every day for a year. I was also suicidal a few months ago because I am so sick of living like this; well it's not living it's just existing

I am working with a Functional Medicine Dr now for diet and supplementation but don't feel any better, I also have therapy. I am sick of popping Diazepam, beta blockers to control the anxiety and other supplements. I meditate, my diet is poor because the anxiety and nausea prevents me from eating properly and I am now underweight. I have a phobia of being sick so the nausea doesn't help

I wake up every morning with irrational racing thoughts and off we go with the anxiety. I live alone and spend most of my days alone. Because I don't go out, after a year of this, I am having such difficulty in filling my day and keeping myself occupied. I have lost interest in everything and just don't want to be here anymore.

I have had a few good days this week but last night, for no apparent reason, the anxiety came back and pushed up my cortisol levels and I am back to feeling crap again.

I just don't know how to help myself anymore and I am at the point where I don't want to because nothing I have tried has worked.

For some reason I do feel start to feel better late afternoon onwards and by evening I can feel pretty normal. A psychiatrist I saw once said it it normal with depression and called "diurnal variation" whatever that means in english.

I don't know what the real problem is with me, whether the onset of depression brought on everything else or the other way around but frankly I have had enough. I don't think I will ever get better now

skymaid
14-10-16, 17:33
sorry to read this.

I can only sympathise really. I have the same fear (being sick) which makes it hard to eat properly.

I watched a series of vlogs on someone on youtube in a similar situation to us and she got out of it. largely with the help of pregabalin

ive just started a low dose a week or so ago and I think its taking the edge off my general anxiety already (only needed diazepam once in the last week or so and that was to get to therapy lol)

she was back so a full life in 3 months of starting it and much better after a month.

just thought id mention this anyway

jefner
14-10-16, 17:59
sorry to read this.

I can only sympathise really. I have the same fear (being sick) which makes it hard to eat properly.

I watched a series of vlogs on someone on youtube in a similar situation to us and she got out of it. largely with the help of pregabalin

ive just started a low dose a week or so ago and I think its taking the edge off my general anxiety already (only needed diazepam once in the last week or so and that was to get to therapy lol)

she was back so a full life in 3 months of starting it and much better after a month.

just thought id mention this anyway

pregabalin? what is that used for

skymaid
14-10-16, 18:03
my psychiatrist prescribed it for anxiety. its non addictive and is generally tolerate better than ssris.

has 8/10 on drugs.com for what its worth. its not addictive like diazepam and you can take it long term

jefner
14-10-16, 18:20
my psychiatrist prescribed it for anxiety. its non addictive and is generally tolerate better than ssris.

has 8/10 on drugs.com for what its worth. its not addictive like diazepam and you can take it long term
I am not sure I could take that because of my thyroid meds and other stuff. I will have to ask around

cjemc
15-10-16, 18:39
Hi everyone, I haven't posted her for a long time but suppose I just wanted a moan.

I am 54, hypothyroid for the last 10yrs and then my body crashed a year ago when I found out I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune). I have unknowingly had it for many years as an ultrasound on my thyroid a few months ago confirmed that it's pretty much destroyed.

To add insult to injury I also have high cortisol levels and the severe anxiety it causes along with nausea, depression and now agoraphobia has been with me every day for a year. I was also suicidal a few months ago because I am so sick of living like this; well it's not living it's just existing

I am working with a Functional Medicine Dr now for diet and supplementation but don't feel any better, I also have therapy. I am sick of popping Diazepam, beta blockers to control the anxiety and other supplements. I meditate, my diet is poor because the anxiety and nausea prevents me from eating properly and I am now underweight. I have a phobia of being sick so the nausea doesn't help

I wake up every morning with irrational racing thoughts and off we go with the anxiety. I live alone and spend most of my days alone. Because I don't go out, after a year of this, I am having such difficulty in filling my day and keeping myself occupied. I have lost interest in everything and just don't want to be here anymore.

I have had a few good days this week but last night, for no apparent reason, the anxiety came back and pushed up my cortisol levels and I am back to feeling crap again.

I just don't know how to help myself anymore and I am at the point where I don't want to because nothing I have tried has worked.

For some reason I do feel start to feel better late afternoon onwards and by evening I can feel pretty normal. A psychiatrist I saw once said it it normal with depression and called "diurnal variation" whatever that means in english.

I don't know what the real problem is with me, whether the onset of depression brought on everything else or the other way around but frankly I have had enough. I don't think I will ever get better now

Hi jefner, is your anxiety caused by your thyroid condition and/or cortisol levels or did you have anxiety before you developed any thyroid and/or cortisol issues?
You mention agoraphobia as well, is that caused by your physical condition(s) or do you think you would have agoraphobia anyway regardless of whether you had a medical disorder?

The reason I ask is because I have severe anxiety and I am also partially agoraphobic. I also keep retching but nothing ever happens. I wonder if I have something medically wrong with me like my Thyroid or cortisol levels because what you wrote in your post sounds very similar to what I experience. I also have deep seated dark circles under my eyes which don't look like they should be there. I read that Thyroid issues can cause under eye dark circles/bags.

Phuzella
15-10-16, 19:44
Anxiety raises cortisol levels doesn't it?

jefner
15-10-16, 23:08
high cortisol causes high anxiety

---------- Post added at 23:08 ---------- Previous post was at 23:07 ----------

Hi jefner, is your anxiety caused by your thyroid condition and/or cortisol levels or did you have anxiety before you developed any thyroid and/or cortisol issues?
You mention agoraphobia as well, is that caused by your physical condition(s) or do you think you would have agoraphobia anyway regardless of whether you had a medical disorder?

The reason I ask is because I have severe anxiety and I am also partially agoraphobic. I also keep retching but nothing ever happens. I wonder if I have something medically wrong with me like my Thyroid or cortisol levels because what you wrote in your post sounds very similar to what I experience. I also have deep seated dark circles under my eyes which don't look like they should be there. I read that Thyroid issues can cause under eye dark circles/bags.

I have had anxiety on and off for many years but the AD I was taking put a stop to that. The agoraphobia is as a results of the anxiety which I believe is caused by my high cortisol levels and could also be thyroid related.
If you are worried get tested

Lissa101
15-10-16, 23:39
Hi Jefner, I have no brilliant words of wisdom I'm afraid but my partner works in mental health and he sees people all the time who recover, sometimes after decades of suffering. It can and does get better, please remember that. Hope you feel better soon x

Miznuvem0412
16-01-17, 09:04
Did you test your cortisol levels and did they provide you with list on how to correct the issue .i think I'm a do a saliva test to test mine . I have issues sleeping at night and I feel my coristol levels might be higher at night