PDA

View Full Version : vomiting

helenhoo
14-10-16, 21:32
Linking this to anxiety but of course i worry about BT

I WAS NERVOUS AND STRESSED WEDS MORN AND VOMMITED AND AGAIN JUST (fri night) both times my anxiety levels were high?

brucealmighty
14-10-16, 21:34
brain tumour. or pregnant. NEXT!!!!!

helenhoo
14-10-16, 21:40
:/

---------- Post added at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

I'm quite fearfull

Kathryn313
14-10-16, 21:43
Does a BT cause vomiting?

helenhoo
14-10-16, 22:09
Im scared! I was so anxious prior to this. My hand was shaking away whilst resting it off tbe table so was thay a seizure?

Kathryn313
14-10-16, 22:12
What do you think it was?

Catalyst
14-10-16, 22:15
If you felt anxious, I'd guess it was anxiety!

brucealmighty
14-10-16, 22:22
parkinsons?

Gary A
14-10-16, 22:42
Is there anything, and I mean anything, that doesn't scare you?

"I just found a hair on my tongue. Probably just came from my head but of course I worry about BT...."

Yes, of course you do. :doh:

helenhoo
14-10-16, 22:47
Isnt vommiting a sign of a tumor?

Weds morning i was very anxious and i was very anxious just. I had been dry heaving with nerves and turned my tum.

Gary A
14-10-16, 22:50
Isnt vommiting a sign of a tumor?

Weds morning i was very anxious and i was very anxious just. I had been dry heaving with nerves and turned my tum.

Translation;

"I have a symptom that worries me.

I have a perfectly reasonable explanation of it already, but I'm worried anyway. Just because."

Stop this utter nonsense.

brucealmighty
14-10-16, 22:51
tumour. 100%

helenhoo
14-10-16, 22:54
My mom thinks it was because i was drinking fruit ounch and mixing it with cola and they didnt sit well PLUS the anxiety. I worry the hand thing was a seizure though.

Gary A
14-10-16, 22:59
My mom thinks it was because i was drinking fruit ounch and mixing it with cola and they didnt sit well PLUS the anxiety. I worry the hand thing was a seizure though.

Well that's entirely up to you. If you want to continue to link every fart and cough to a seizure then who can stop you.

We cannot help you when you are basically terrified of normality.

brucealmighty
14-10-16, 23:04
I work in a factory but always wanted to be a neurosurgeon and it sounds very much like a seizure to me, a side effect of your brain tumour.

helenhoo
14-10-16, 23:16
Bruce i feel youre being incredibly sarcastic but ive been on websites and vommiting IS a sign of a tumor so understand my worry please

dale12345
14-10-16, 23:21
everyone vomits now and again

Gary A
14-10-16, 23:23
Bruce i feel youre being incredibly sarcastic but ive been on websites and vommiting IS a sign of a tumor so understand my worry please

Well it is. Along with severe unrelenting headaches. Blurred vision. Loss or decrease in motor function. Loss of balance.

So yeah, if you're experiencing constant projectile vomiting along with at least some of the above, you might just have a point.

Let's be honest though, you probably stuck your fingers down your own throat, such is your absolute determination to have something to fret about.

It really is just at a point of being utterly bizarre with you now.

brucealmighty
14-10-16, 23:27
I understand your worry helen and I'm here for you. it's hard to tell from simple text but I'm on the spectrum and am sincere not sarcastic I'm just trying to diagnose you from your symptoms like everyone else on here. much love.

helenhoo
14-10-16, 23:27
I did drop my toothbrush earlier

dale12345
14-10-16, 23:28
I did drop my toothbrush earlier

What?

helenhoo
14-10-16, 23:30
Isnt that motor function?

Gary A
14-10-16, 23:31
Isnt that motor function?

You're at it.

helenhoo
14-10-16, 23:34
At what?

MyNameIsTerry
14-10-16, 23:38
I understand your worry helen and I'm here for you. it's hard to tell from simple text but I'm on the spectrum and am sincere not sarcastic I'm just trying to diagnose you from your symptoms like everyone else on here. much love.

But only with, Reb? That might be why some will perceive it as sarcasm.

Diagnose brain tumors and Parkinsonism? I think that's a bit beyond us all on here?

Gary A
14-10-16, 23:39
At what?

You know what?

Yes, you have a brain tumour. Rush yourself to the doctors tomorrow. Clearly dropping your toothbrush and vomiting when you have an upset stomach is a sign of a brain tumour.

helenhoo
14-10-16, 23:43
Was my stomach turned because if the high levels of anxiety and the funny drink?

Gary A
14-10-16, 23:47
Was my stomach turned because if the high levels of anxiety and the funny drink?

How the hell would I know? Do you think I've got a live feed to your large intestine or something?

Stop dramatising every bloody thing. You don't have a brain tumour now for goodness sake give it a rest.

brucealmighty
14-10-16, 23:57
can everyone please stop picking on reb/helen she clearly has a brain tumour along with every disease listed on google and this has been proven beyond doubt by her dropping her toothbrush.
I can say hand on heart I will be utterly delighted if and when you go to south korea and I pray to god, allah, the one, the supreme being, that you can`t get on NMP while you`re out there. I believe sincerely this site and others like it should be for people who need help, not people who take more p*ss than a dialysis machine.

purely as a side interest I`ve been in A&E this evening with a relative who is in a rather bad way and I`m very much afraid that I truly couldn`t give the steam off my next sh*t about your invented worries.

and anyone else offers me the standard advice - yes, I can ignore threads but as it`s a public forum I`m also entitled to reply and offer my thoughts based on knowledge and experience. My thoughts are that helen/reb is a cruel and calculating individual who knows full well the effect she is having on a number of the members, and has the power to stop playing her silly games.

but what would I know.

dale12345
15-10-16, 00:02
can everyone please stop picking on reb/helen she clearly has a brain tumour along with every disease listed on google and this has been proven beyond doubt by her dropping her toothbrush.
I can say hand on heart I will be utterly delighted if and when you go to south korea and I pray to god, allah, the one, the supreme being, that you can`t get on NMP while you`re out there. I believe sincerely this site and others like it should be for people who need help, not people who take more p*ss than a dialysis machine.

purely as a side interest I`ve been in A&E this evening with a relative who is in a rather bad way and I`m very much afraid that I truly couldn`t give the steam off my next sh*t about your invented worries.

and anyone else offers me the standard advice - yes, I can ignore threads but as it`s a public forum I`m also entitled to reply and offer my thoughts based on knowledge and experience. My thoughts are that helen/reb is a cruel and calculating individual who knows full well the effect she is having on a number of the members, and has the power to stop playing her silly games.

but what would I know.

I hope your relative feels better very soon.

KatiePink
15-10-16, 00:07
How the hell would I know? Do you think I've got a live feed to your large intestine or something?

:roflmao:

---------- Post added at 00:07 ---------- Previous post was at 00:03 ----------

You don't have a brain tumour.

Spare a thought for me right now, I have one breast a cup size bigger than the other and have no idea what the hell's going on - can you imagine the anxiety?!

Stop asking questions, you CAN stop yourself, it's very possible, stop it or continue like this, there's only two options.

MyNameIsTerry
15-10-16, 00:17

but what would I know.

Bruce,

I'm sorry to hear you are worrying about a sick relative in hospital. Everyone here will support you for that if you need it. I hope they are better soon.

If any threads are upsetting you, honestly don't get tied up in them and make yourself worse. It's not worth it, you need your strength for other things and hopefully some forum support will give that somewhere on here.

brucealmighty
15-10-16, 05:05
that's summed it all up perfectly flipp helen needs our sympathy not our sarcasm I hope she gets better soon

rainbow
15-10-16, 05:15
I'm quite shocked at the nasty comments on here, I thought this was a support forum for like minded people but not so sure now. Think yourselves lucky that your HA is'nt as out of control as Helen's! Is it too much to be considerate of someone's feelings. Some of the comments are'nt far off bullying!!

Fishmanpa
15-10-16, 05:30
Okay... I just got home from the hospital and it wasn't a fun evening I assure you :(

Let's try another analogy. Reb certainly needs support but that's not happening here (it retrospect, a ton of advice and support has been given to no avail or benefit) nor on other anxiety forums as the responses are quite similar in content and tone.

You know when you feed a stray cat and they keep coming back to your door to be fed? Well, perhaps it's best we stop feeding the cat. This way it will find another sympathetic source. If not, there's always the animal shelter.

Positive thoughts

brucealmighty
15-10-16, 05:32
you're right rainbow

Gary A
15-10-16, 09:30
Why?is it that it is the same people answering to Reb and being sarcastic,honestly You are lucky too not be in her shoes.You are not helping her just being F...mean.Move on too someone else,with your nastiness.

Because it's the same people who want to comment. Far too many people don't give this person the "support" they claim she needs, they're too busy ignoring her and criticising other people who have actually spent a lot of time trying with this person.

Clamber off your high horse and bloody help her if you're so concerned.

Kathryn313
15-10-16, 09:42
I really think that the adage of 'if you cant say anything nice, then don't say anything at all' should be applied here. I can understand peoples frustrations with Helen's posts over these last few weeks and months however you do not have to read her posts and neither do you have to engage. There are plenty of other people who you can share your concerns with on this forum and have them share yours.

This is is not a place for such negativity and it is not the impression that we would wish to give to newcomers, this could be the one and only thread they read.

Please stop.

Xxx

flipp
15-10-16, 09:48
Hey mate, I do help,and I bloody have a high horse a nice Appaloosa.
As far as help?you have too be kidding! I don't see any from you and other cronies.

helenhoo
15-10-16, 09:52
I guess i worry because i have been having thigh and calf twitches and worry these are myclonic seizures? On top of reetless hand yesterday. In my head im linking twitches & vomit = tumor

Gary A
15-10-16, 09:56
Hey mate, I do help,and I bloody have a high horse a nice Appaloosa.
As far as help?you have too be kidding! I don't see any from you and other cronies.

I'm not your mate, and aside from the odd "here's a hug" or some other meaningless tosh, you do not help this person. All you do is whine at people for how they respond.

brucealmighty
15-10-16, 09:57
try to stay positive as Kathryn says, she's right

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

and flipp is right too. I'm wrong and very nasty and have to accept this.

flipp
15-10-16, 10:00
You poor soul,you haven't a clue mate.

Elen
15-10-16, 10:00
For goodness sake grow up and stop ripping into each other.

Can you imagine what a newcomer would make of this thread?

I'm not your mate, and aside from the odd "here's a hug" or some other meaningless tosh, you do not help this person. All you do is whine at people for how they respond.

Sorry Gary bang out of order with this comment.

brucealmighty
15-10-16, 10:22
grow up? I`m being told off by flipp and kathryn for my opinions which this time have arisen from a thread involving `I dropped a pencil` - seriously??

nothing has ever helped since day one and my sense of justice and fairness tells me that if helen is allowed and indeed ecnouraged to post her issues, then we in turn should be allowed to respond. if you`ve got any recommendations on responding in a way that may actually help then please fire them across.

downright nastiness is not my thing, and I`ve tried to help many times, but piling in on me telling me I`m nasty etc etc doesn`t help my condition either.

am I less important than helen? that seems to be what it`s coming down to here.

right, back off to hospital to visit my niece. I really hope she hasn`t dropped a pencil or had a funny twitch in her hand or they`ll probably advise us to consider palliative care and an end of life programme.

Mercime
15-10-16, 11:06
Bruce, I hope that all goes well at the hospital with your neice, take care of yourself too x

KatiePink
15-10-16, 11:13
Why?is it that it is the same people answering to Reb and being sarcastic,honestly You are lucky too not be in her shoes.You are not helping her just being F...mean.Move on too someone else,with your nastiness.

To be fair, the people who respond to Helen are the ones who do most of the helping on this forum, mainly the HA section.

I have personally written paragraphs of advice for Helen numerous times. I have never been nasty(in my opinion) to Helen, the odd slightly sarcastic comment maybe, but that's how I am with most people, forgive me.

I don't believe Helen feels bullied in anyway, she always says she would rather have comments telling her how ridiculous she's being. Much more than a hug sent anyway, so I'm confused as always :roflmao:

KeeKee
15-10-16, 12:32
Because it's the same people who want to comment. Far too many people don't give this person the "support" they claim she needs, they're too busy ignoring her and criticising other people who have actually spent a lot of time trying with this person.

Clamber off your high horse and bloody help her if you're so concerned.

I stopped replying to Helenhoo a while ago due to the fact we were told we were 'encouraging' it. Seems we can't win either way.

Stephenie.welch
15-10-16, 12:49
I don't even see how this site helps anyone anymore.. like it was a good idea I guess but it's not doing shit.. for anyone. No one can tell anyone if they have a brain tumor honestly. I could have a brain tumor right now. Obviously pointless to ask you guys. Go to the doctor op. But I don't see how everyone being facetious is going to solve anything? Crazy.

rainbow
15-10-16, 12:51
I haven't responded to Helen's threads as I can see that she is spiralling and as such will be unable to see logic and have rational thoughts.

As far as being on my "high horse" why do you think that? I just think that saying to someone who is obviously very unwell that "yes, you have a brain tumour" is below the belt. I know that if I was feeling like Helen and someone said that to me it would cause intense panic in me.

Surely it would be better not to respond than to make harsh comments.

Stephenie.welch
15-10-16, 12:57
Right?^

nomorepanic
15-10-16, 14:02
I don't even see how this site helps anyone anymore.. like it was a good idea I guess but it's not doing shit.. for anyone. .

Seriously?

Mercime
15-10-16, 14:03
I don't even see how this site helps anyone anymore.. like it was a good idea I guess but it's not doing shit.. for anyone. No one can tell anyone if they have a brain tumor honestly. I could have a brain tumor right now. Obviously pointless to ask you guys. Go to the doctor op. But I don't see how everyone being facetious is going to solve anything? Crazy.

The site doesn't do shit for anyone? I don't think that's an accurate or fair comment. People post and get replies all the time, whether they like them or not is a different matter. There's also plenty of other section dealing with other issues apart from HA..

brucealmighty
15-10-16, 14:08
nic this is one thread mainly featuring the ramblings of one person who may or may not have anything wrong with her, I`m way past the point of bothering to try and use her posts as any sort of indicator of truth or reality.

but don`t take any of this as a kick in the guts or any possible slight on the ethos if why NMP was set up, it`s kept an awful lot of us going when we really have been struggling.

for every helen or whoever, there are countless others who quietly spot something that may help, or join in with the word games or whatever, or just go through threads to see if they can find common ground

no ones perfect but to say the site as a whole isn`t helping anyone is absolute horse shit

skymaid
15-10-16, 14:12
how does everything posted by this member get so many replies? it defies belief.

as for the usefulness of this site:

my therapist thinks I should avoid it completely (since its given me ideas about anxiety and symptoms that id never even thought of before)

however is also been good for reassuring me to start some medication, the chat section has been helpful many times.

and maybe its exposure therapy since im currently replying to a thread with a topic of vomitting when I have emetophobia (why did I even visit this thread?)

helenhoo
15-10-16, 14:16
So bruce you think i do have a tumor?

KatiePink
15-10-16, 14:17
I don't even see how this site helps anyone anymore.. like it was a good idea I guess but it's not doing shit.. for anyone. .

I think that's a terrible comment and terribly wrong. How do you know who it helps have you spoken to everyone? Fair enough you may not find it helpful but you can't really speak for everyone.

Plus this forum seems to have been going a very long time and as far as I know they have no obligation to keep it running but they do..

It's got a lot of good info in the articles, some great pinned threads and a place you can talk with like minded people. What else is it meant to do exactly?

brucealmighty
15-10-16, 14:18
YAY!!!!! here she comes again. Like arguing with the weather, or King Canute trying to turn back the tide.

absolutely incredible, yet utterly predictable. Just fabulous.

this reply was to helen by the way katie, we must have hit `send` at the same time, no offence to you meant at all

KatiePink
15-10-16, 14:20
YAY!!!!! here she comes again. Like arguing with the weather, or King Canute trying to turn back the tide.

absolutely incredible, yet utterly predictable. Just fabulous.

this reply was to helen by the way katie, we must have hit `send` at the same time, no offence to you meant at all

:roflmao: none taken

ServerError
15-10-16, 14:26
I don't want to be accused of feeding this situation any longer, and I certainly won't be attempting to answer any more of Helen's baffling worries.

All I will say is that her threads seem to follow a pattern whereby she says something ridiculous, gets jumped on, and then it descends into debate about various approaches to helping her that never really go anywhere and just cause bad blood between members. Meanwhile, Helen herself fades from the thread, only to start a new one about her latest incomprehensible fear. Rinse and repeat.

I just think the time has come for everybody to step back. The only people who can really help her are in the real world and, of course, herself. It's an open forum, so if people want to keep jumping in and commenting, so be it. But it will be your own time and energy you're donating. I respect you if you've more or that to give this person than I have.

I guess all I'm saying is that we could all do with recognising the pattern unfolding here and stepping back from it. I know I'll always open Helen's threads out of sheer nosiness at what her latest is. I'm only human. Never said I was perfect. But I give up on participating in this whole bizarre affair.

Unless I go to North Korea next year. Then I might say something.

pulisa
15-10-16, 14:37
If you are allowed to talk in North Korea...

ServerError
15-10-16, 14:40
If you are allowed to talk in North Korea...

Might leave it till I get back... 🚔📵🇰🇵

Phuzella
15-10-16, 15:06
Hmm I really hope not but seems like OP starts thread then gets other members arguing amongst themselves and disappears to start another one.
Bit troll like isn't it?

MyNameIsTerry
15-10-16, 15:21
Hmm I really hope not but seems like OP starts thread then gets other members arguing amongst themselves and disappears to start another one.
Bit troll like isn't it?

That's now, Phuzella, earlier on it was different. Sadly, this always happens with repetitive posters where it gets to the point that a new thread just carries on over from the last as people keep insisting on commenting whilst at the same time insisting they are unhappy with the existence of the threads.

Either the OP makes the first step in their recovery or they move on, most likely to another forum.

The NHS can't help this person even if she wanted whilst her trip remains on so unless she puts all her efforts into self help, she's stuffed.

Mercime
15-10-16, 15:21
Suggestion coming up. I've put myself "out" of this, and other, threads three times, yet I find myself drawn to it. We know admin are watching this as there have been two comments, one in response to a nasty accusation, and the other telling us to "grow up". I think we may even need to support ourselves between us if we have made the decision not to participate at all on these threads. For those that want to, it's an open forum, and they have the right to do so.

So, if we've decided we aren't going to play this game any more, let's add nothing. No "in jokes", no sarcasm, no nothing. Just finish. I'm done, finito, no more. Anyone else going to do the same?

KatiePink
15-10-16, 15:23
Suggestion coming up. I've put myself "out" of this, and other, threads three times, yet I find myself drawn to it. We know admin are watching this as there have been two comments, one in response to a nasty accusation, and the other telling us to "grow up". I think we may even need to support ourselves between us if we have made the decision not to participate at all on these threads. For those that want to, it's an open forum, and they have the right to do so.

So, if we've decided we aren't going to play this game any more, let's add nothing. No "in jokes", no sarcasm, no nothing. Just finish. I'm done, finito, no more. Anyone else going to do the same?

Yep i'll give it my best shot.

MyNameIsTerry
15-10-16, 15:24
Bruce, I hope that all goes well at the hospital with your neice, take care of yourself too x

Same from me.

Your niece is more important, go cheer her up for the day. I bet she can do with it right now.

Phuzella
15-10-16, 15:25
Yep I'm out :)

rainbow
15-10-16, 15:34
Can I ask if the majority of you that have replied to Helen's posts are now recovered from HA?

MyNameIsTerry
15-10-16, 15:52
For goodness sake grow up and stop ripping into each other.

Can you imagine what a newcomer would make of this thread?

Sorry Gary bang out of order with this comment.

Absolutely.

I speak to Karina a lot on here. She chose to say what some have told me they are afraid too. She's not whining and the whole "I'm not your mate" may be seen as sarcastic by people from some regions but she does talk like that around the forum, being an Aussie.

Why get so upset about this members threads? If you feel you are being taken for a ride, don't be. But if you are going to insist on keeping this going why can't you stick to respectful posting in pointing out what you need to? It doesn't need the emotion because you can't assume we all agree and this causes arguments. Direct doesn't mean snark but that seems to be where it sinks to the more the threads go on until the point where it starts within a few posts in each thread.

Do you realise that when the same people quickly restart that tone in the next thread, it looks like you search them out?

I also love the "this is too ridiculous to be a real fear" line that is used as a way to confirm a poster is fake. Look around the website more, there are others. Be careful in how you come across because you can be perceived as intolerant, we are not all worrying about cancer on this website. Whilst you may have a legitimate argument in posting patterns and the lack of engagement back from the OP, you have absolutely no ground with this other issue speaking as someone who has had very irrational Magical Thinking.

Stephenie.welch
15-10-16, 16:01
Because it doesn't? lol reassurance seeking isn't going to cure anyone. We can keep flocking here for years so I have a tumor? Do I have this do I have that!?!! We don't ****ing KNOW how is this a step in getting better? Honestly people. That's why I stopped posting recently. I realize whether I have this or not, you can't help me from your computer telling me things you don't know. None of you are medical professionals, none of you can make that judgement. Get it now? Probably not. You may have a brain tumor Helen. You may not. None of us can tell you that. Period.

skymaid
15-10-16, 16:09
rather than endlessly posting to this thread we could try and answer some of the unanswered ones. other people need help too (although constant reassurance seeking can be counter productive)

search > unanswered threads

brucealmighty
15-10-16, 16:10
sincerely - that is one of the best and most accurate things I`ve ever seen on here.
The only way any of us get better is by doing something for ourselves - along with appropriate meds or therapy - and getting that feeling of taking control again.

helen could be a master head worker, extremely ill, suffering OCD or some lunatic who enjoys mocking those with actual mental health issues - I don`t know her personally and I`m guessing no one else on here does.

I`ll keep off this thread now as it does me no good, but steph you`ve absolutely hit the nail on the head.

Stephenie.welch
15-10-16, 16:17
Thanks Bruce. I'm sorry for offending people I truly am. I'm going through a lot right now. I don't want to give in and post because it really does no good(for me) for others maybe this is the answer and if it is, thank God, because for me it takes a hell of a lot more than online reassurance to get through my breakdowns and irrationalities

MyNameIsTerry
15-10-16, 16:36
Because it doesn't? lol reassurance seeking isn't going to cure anyone. We can keep flocking here for years so I have a tumor? Do I have this do I have that!?!! We don't ****ing KNOW how is this a step in getting better? Honestly people. That's why I stopped posting recently. I realize whether I have this or not, you can't help me from your computer telling me things you don't know. None of you are medical professionals, none of you can make that judgement. Get it now? Probably not. You may have a brain tumor Helen. You may not. None of us can tell you that. Period.

Not everyone has a reassurance-seeking element to anxiety, Stephanie. Whilst that tends to be the case for HA people, it's not the case for many anxiety sufferers. Some of us use these sites for many other reasons.

In terms of judgement, if someone bangs their head I think I can usually work out they don't have a brain bleed for the same reasons given to the public and those briefed in schools by paramedics to determine whether to rush a child to a hospital or just calm them down. Many threads simply are not respective of what people are worrying about but if you play the pure no diagnosis line in the forum rules, you're right and the HA forum largely becomes moot.

But there are positive boards on here too. Places for discussion of meds. It's not all about HA people on here, despite most of the membership being them.

nomorepanic
15-10-16, 17:18

You are probably talking about a minority of the HA sufferers though so what about the thousands of panic attack sufferers like me that it does help?

It has been running 15 years next month so if it doesn't help anyone how come it is still going?

kerryann
15-10-16, 17:28
I don't post on here much, I tend to lurk in the back ground reading other posts of a similar vein to how i feel. But for someone to say this site is useless let me tell you,!!! When I have been at my lowest I have come on here and it is a tremendous comfort to know I'm not alone and other people have gone through what I I am going through and come out the other side, I will be forever grateful that this site existed for me when I needed it most.

Stephenie.welch
15-10-16, 18:23
Because reassurance is addicting. It's sad to see members fine for months or even years returning here and getting back into the whole viscious circle instead of tackling it head on with medication and therapy. That's what's getting me through, reassurance only lasts so long.

---------- Post added at 17:23 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

Also pretty sure this is what op wanted all along. Probably another stroud. Js.

nomorepanic
15-10-16, 18:23
Yes i agree that is sad Stephenie but did you read what you put?

That is what annoyed me cos you are saying it is not helping ANYONE at all

Stephenie.welch
15-10-16, 18:29
Sigh. Okay, Nicola I'm Not gonna continue Going back and forth. Like I previously said(guess you didn't read that part) in sorry if I offended anyone which I did, very obviously. The site will probably continue to help and reassure people hopefully that's enough and people get better but honestly, this site made me worse. Not anyone's fault. It even made me and my husband fight he always said let me guess you're on your panic site AGAIN. Like it opened my eyes that this isn't the answer for me and a lot of other people from numerous posts I've read. With all due respect of course, sometimes online forums fuel the fire. I've met quite a few great people on here and am very thankful for the support I got but my anxiety continued to snowball when I read other posts and people ending up getting actually diagnosed with real diseases after everyone promised they were fine.

venusbluejeans
15-10-16, 18:30
To be honest I have given up as admin trying to tell people not to respond to to posts if they don't like the thread or don't like the constant reassurance posts.......no one listens to us anyway and keeps doing it... whats the point??

Then majority of the time the admins get the blame anyway for letting it continue.... given up... I am done on this subject.

nomorepanic
15-10-16, 18:42
Steph - Fair enough but if something makes you worse then stay away from it to be honest.

It is not worth falling out with your husband over.

Nobody on here can promise someone they are fine to be fair and each person is responsible for their own health and well-being.

Anyway I have said my bit and am now out of this discussion as well.

helenhoo
15-10-16, 19:04
You really do get wound up with posts don'y you? I'm not a beadcase neither am i a troll, i'm just like most on here and clearly it isnt working for me. Reassurance is addictive but each time i have a worry i come here, its my thought pattern i need to change. 99% of posts are similar; people wanting to know their symptom isnt what their worry is. Yes nobody knows for sure but this site is grear for those who find comfort in it. I dont, not anymore. Hounded in every single time i post. I could list five others i see in the forum weekly. I cant help but think any newbies woild be put off seeing the sheer abuse i receive. Posts are ridculois yes but they're mine. Im not a troll or a nutjob. I have to take it upon myself to leave this world behind (forums) but it is a great place.

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:59 ----------

(Can't be bothered to edit the spelling errors sorry, new phone!)

Catalyst
15-10-16, 21:52
You are probably talking about a minority of the HA sufferers though so what about the thousands of panic attack sufferers like me that it does help?

It has been running 15 years next month so if it doesn't help anyone how come it is still going?

Just wanted to say how much the site has helped me over at least 8 years (I think!) and it continues to do so. We're all different and what may not work for one, works for another. So, on behalf of those that have benefitted greatly from this site - thank you! :)

dale12345
15-10-16, 21:57
Just wanted to say how much the site has helped me over at least 8 years (I think!) and it continues to do so. We're all different and what may not work for one, works for another. So, on behalf of those that have benefitted greatly from this site - thank you! :)

I agree this site has helped me so much, I have talked to awesome caring people. Thank You for making this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MyNameIsTerry
16-10-16, 06:12
Sigh. Okay, Nicola I'm Not gonna continue Going back and forth. Like I previously said(guess you didn't read that part) in sorry if I offended anyone which I did, very obviously. The site will probably continue to help and reassure people hopefully that's enough and people get better but honestly, this site made me worse. Not anyone's fault. It even made me and my husband fight he always said let me guess you're on your panic site AGAIN. Like it opened my eyes that this isn't the answer for me and a lot of other people from numerous posts I've read. With all due respect of course, sometimes online forums fuel the fire. I've met quite a few great people on here and am very thankful for the support I got but my anxiety continued to snowball when I read other posts and people ending up getting actually diagnosed with real diseases after everyone promised they were fine.

You do have valid points, Stephanie. Some become obsessive in forums and use them at the cost of time in the real world. I've had that problem. Others use them for reassurance.

BUT not everyone is a HAer. I have no reassurance-seeking elements to my anxiety, never have. I never doubted what my anxiety was, I just hated the symptoms.

Therapists often will say online forums should be avoided and the reason for this is because they don't know what they look like so won't want a patient potentially damaging themselves. They may see them as uncontrolled, because they are as Admin can't sit in threads all day moderating them. Forums allow people to get trapped in cycles of talking too much about obsessing on their perceived illness.

I've been to self help groups and they are far different to this forum. They have more rules about what you cannot talk about. They don't allow what we see on the HA & Meds boards. They will stop people talking and so they have more control to shape the meetings. That's impossible on here.

There is plenty of good in forums but not for everyone. Some people need more guiding until they reach the point where they can take more control over themselves.

Seeing other people's dire disease concerns in such detail can be triggering. However, at some point in your recovery you want to be able to read them all and say "meh". Avoiding forums or any other trigger long term isn't the goal of therapy but they do often like you to disengage from very triggering things so that they can work up through a hierarchy to get back to this point and beyond it.

So, I agree with some of what you say but I would also say that you cannot generalise because why this site is mostly HA people, some of us aren't and our disorders manifest in different ways.

There is certainly no HA thread that would bother me since I have no HA elements to my anxiety. But I have my own triggers. Neither of us would want the others anxiety problems as we know there is no grass greener on the other side, it's just a different sort of grass.

I think your husband is right too. Anything online can become obsessive when you are searching for something to help you. There needs to be balance and we do need time in the real world. It can be easy to fall into a trap with forums where you live more online but it's the time in the real world where you are working on much of your anxiety, and having a life, and excessive use of a forum is really a crutch, a safety behaviour. It's something to be wary of. Anything healthy can become unhealthy. I had that problem with walking as it became something I felt I had to do and it was really about me avoiding being alone with my thoughts & symptoms in the house and breaking a routine that was trapping me further in my anxiety without me realising.

---------- Post added at 06:12 ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 ----------

I have to take it upon myself to leave this world behind (forums) but it is a great place.

Good luck for the future, Reb.

Get your CBT books out and start working on it all. Get the help you need when you can.

marcc64
16-10-16, 07:00
I don't post much at all, but this site has helped me in a big way with my many problems. Saying this site doesn't help anyone is totally wrong.

dally
16-10-16, 07:43
Terry is right. It's all about balance.

But, depending on the diagnosis or stage of mental health, that balance may be not be available at the time

Josh1234
17-10-16, 22:55
She. is. a. troll.

MyNameIsTerry
17-10-16, 23:46
She. is. a. troll.

Here you are again, Josh. :doh: You seem to follow her around on both sites. So, what are you?

How many times will it take Admin to remind you?

EDIT: Hilarious, Josh, you logged onto the forum just to post that comment and disappeared again.