PDA

View Full Version : Checkout/or when trapped doing something.

fed up with it
31-03-07, 17:03
Hi another worry, i was getting a bit better now again its back! went into tesco felt not bad have managed to shop alone also but yesterday was with the kids and my x partner and he walked off and i put the shopping on the till and the lady put it through so fast i was getting stressed as normal, i started to feel hot and weak, felt like i could'nt stand up right, and was getting flustered then my x came back and i said i feel really bad, he helped with the rest and i began to walk off as he said i looked really pale!! this feeling subsided as i left, but i thing if my x had'nt come would this feeling have gone or would i ever faint? even though this has not happened before i mean resulting in a faint? my ears and face felt full like my blood pressure was up??? was it a panic attack?

Danuella
31-03-07, 17:12
It sounds very similar to what i get I really think its a panic attack,when i get like that i take a few really deep breath and try to relax myself.
Hugs
xx

honeybee3939
31-03-07, 17:14
HI

Yes Definatley Panic , i have been working hard to overcome the dreaded checkout. The symptoms you get are the exact same ones i get, i know they are very uncomfortable i too feel as if im going to faint (but never have done).
I have been working with my therapist at the checkouts and i am finding it alot easier. when im in a queue i read the labels on the products i am purchasing, i.e. what fat content they have. I tend to find it distracts my thoughts from the Panic. Also another good idea is to read a magazine if you are waiting.
When i am packing my shopping i try not to rush or i get flustered too, i always take it slowly after all we have to queue and wait so why shouldnt we let the checkout operator wait while we pack our bags too.

Hope this as been of some help.
Your not alone:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Love

Andrea
xxx

domino
01-04-07, 02:30
From an x checkout operator, this can work both ways, i to got panicy while serving people, the q was so long, and the more i tried to speed up to get rid of my q the worse i got, i ended up leaving my job and now work for another supermarket, doing just the opposite, filling the shelves through the night.less hassle,but i know how fusstrating it can be from the other side of the fence.:ohmy:

looking4answers
01-04-07, 04:41
I have had this quite often..its a bit of agoraphobic (hope that is spelled correctly )..Its because you are in a hurry to get out and you think oh I will make it ok and then something slows the checkout and you cant get out..I know the feeling well and have had it many times but getting better..I usually prep my mind to think of anything at all anything..a waterfall in an island paradise or maybe what im going to make when I get home for dinner or ill try a little chit chat with the people in the check out or anyone just to take my mind off of it..I used to get it really bad but now I just try to put my mind on what im doing and forget the people around me unless i can get caught up in a silly conversation and then when I do finally get out ..I think to myself I made it and the next time I go I think on the way in....I will make it again I didnt die last time I was here and made it fine I can do it again.When you are sitting in the store and making your selections and come to the check out just go mentally back over your list and try to make sure you got everything you can think of that you need and just try to relax and get a visual of anything that makes you happy or relaxed in your mind and soon this all will pass..Before you started feeling this way you never felt this way before .How many millions of times have you gone shopping and it never happened nothing..so whats the difference now.. nothing and you will make it ..I know you will I do it all the time and well have to keep doing it all the time .Sooner or later you will learn that you have done the same thing thousands of times before and you made it fine..So dont worry and just keep your mind occupied you will be fine..

Freaky Chick
01-04-07, 11:10
Yeah it's definitely anxiety mixed with agorophobia. I am exactly the same in shops. In fact well doe you for getting to tescos. I can't do that it's too big!

I can only manage my local small waitrose, and even have a panic in there sometimes - but it's expensive. I tried tescos last week with my mum and got really panicky, but luckily i didn't have a full blown attack. But if i'd been on my own - well i'd probably have got to the door and turned around.

When i am in queues I just close my eyes, try and put the noise of the checkouts out of my head and breathe - it's funny but i find all the constant beeps of the scanning and background noise the worst. I just want to get out - sometimes i think about just leaving my shopping there and leaving.

So you not alone with shop panic. Remember, you'd done it alone before and that was good.

Freaky chick

fed up with it
01-04-07, 11:51
Hi yes i do have agrophobia too. Which started with the panic attacks and the birth of my children!