PDA

View Full Version : I just can't shake this headache anxiety!

Mrschurchill
15-10-16, 15:46
About 2 months ago I got a bad headache which lasted about 2 weeks. Nothing shifted it and I had a really bad brain tumour panic!

It went away for a couple of weeks when I was off work (back pain and a throat infection happened in the time the headache had gone.

Now, I'm back to a constant ache, pressure behind my eyes, under my eye sockets, cheek bones and back of beck and shoulders are so tight.

How can I stop this brain tumour fear? It's the scariest fear I've ever had and just can't take it.

unsure_about_this
15-10-16, 15:54
Hi Mrschurchill

Are you related to me because I worry about cancer a lot

Now for your fear I am not a doctor or dentist, have you been for an eye exam recently.

Phuzella
15-10-16, 15:58
Tight shoulder and neck muscles can cause headaches

Mrschurchill
15-10-16, 15:59
I'm actually having my 2 yearly eye test next Saturday. I've just had a contact lense check tho and there's no change.
I'm convinced every pain I feel is cancer. It's become like an obsession! This is just unlike anything else though, I never suffer from headaches or migraine x

ServerError
15-10-16, 16:12
Take painkillers and wait it out. If it persists, go to your doctor. It's always advisable to get persistent symptoms checked out.

It could be related to your eyesight. It could be stress and anxiety. It could be many things. The likelihood of it being cancer is extremely low.

Mrschurchill
15-10-16, 16:21
I was scared someone was going to say that. I'm definitely a doctor avoider rather than run to them with an ailment. So terrified they will fob me off or tell me it is actually something that requires tests!

---------- Post added at 16:21 ---------- Previous post was at 16:20 ----------

Feel in a catch 22!

unsure_about_this
15-10-16, 16:31
If you are worried about being fobbed off see another doctor.

Mrschurchill
15-10-16, 16:42
I'm more scared that they will tell me I have a brain tumour!

ServerError
15-10-16, 17:00
If it were anything that needed more tests, you'd need to know that. It's scary, but is it scarier than letting something truly nasty take its course?

The fact that you worry about what it could be rather than just getting it looked at is a sign that anxiety is playing a big part in how you think.

As you know, nobody on here can tell you why you have a headache. All we can do is give you our best advice as we see it. My best advice remains to take painkillers, let it subside, and get on with your life. And if it persists, get it checked out.

What other choice is there?

Mrschurchill
15-10-16, 17:20
Yeah you're right. It's debilitating and sometimes I don't even notice it, but when I do notice it, it grips me and I just freak out, basically planning my funeral!

ServerError
15-10-16, 17:28
I don't mean to come across like I'm having a go at you. Lord knows, I'm no psychological superman. Sometimes I fall down a little at taking my own advice. But I just recognise the influence my ways of thinking have held over me for too long. I just feel that people sometimes need to be challenged to see through what their mind is telling them.

Mrschurchill
15-10-16, 17:50
I meant to say not debilitating. I totally get what you're saying, cause if I was reading this written by someone else, I'd be saying the exact same as you!

Phuzella
15-10-16, 19:56
Tight shoulder and neck muscles can cause headaches

Myranda
15-10-16, 20:46
I get chronic migraines which are accompanied with light sensitivity, nausea, and they are usually one sided. I used to worry a lot about them and anxiety can also cause those migraines to happen. Just try to relax, I know it's hard but there would be a lot more symptoms if it was something more serious. It can be based on your diet, new lifestyle changes, etc. you will be okay. :D

Mrschurchill
15-10-16, 22:04
Thinking of going back on propanalol tomorrow, maybe take the edge off and stop feeling so tense

Shelly15
15-10-16, 23:04
I have this also and have been to the doctors and they advised to get my eyes tested which I did and I needed glasses, but even with the glasses I get the headaches and tightness behind my eyes and in my shoulders and the doctor says it's all tension. I get these tension headaches a lot and they can last weeks at a time but it's a vicious cycle you get the headache then you are anxious about it which makes the tension headache worse x

ServerError
15-10-16, 23:15
Thinking of going back on propanalol tomorrow, maybe take the edge off and stop feeling so tense

It's good to see you're thinking practically about ways to move forward. I took propranalol for a while and it helped me. I actually came off it without telling the doctor, which I know is naughty, but that's how confident I'd become by the point I felt I no longer needed it.

Just bear in mind that propranalol treats only physical feelings. It isn't a psychiatric medication, so if it does help you feel calmer, make sure you use that feeling to allow you to implement changes to your thought patterns and cognitive behaviour. I needed an SSRI to help me with that, but it's not essential.

Mrschurchill
16-10-16, 10:19
If it can take some of the adrenaline away then it will be a big help!
No headache this morning, but I can't stop thinking about getting one that I can actually feel one creeping in!