PDA

View Full Version : Bronchitis- so worried

aanns_GAD
15-10-16, 17:27
I was fighting a cold and then had some breathing problems, went to the ER one night because I couldn't breathe or stop coughing, and then landed in my GP's office the next day. Got a steroid shot and some more steroids with codeine and some cough suppressant meds. I'm on day 2 of the prescription steroids and I'm still coughing and still uncomfortable. My anxiety is so high. Im so scared I will never get better. I've never had bronchitis so I don't exactly know how I'm going to get better. It just feels like my lungs will be uncomfortable and I won't be able to sleep again. Really freaking out. Any advice would be great. My husband and I are supposed to go on vacaytion next Saturday and I'm stressing that I won't be better. Even though that's a whole week away. Im just really anxious. Please help

ocdbaking
15-10-16, 17:32
Sorry to hear you've been so unwell. I've been lucky enough to have bronchitis 3 times! Each time it took about a week for things to start to ease, and then another few weeks to recover completely. You will get better, just take things easy.

aanns_GAD
15-10-16, 19:00
Thank you for your reply. It makes me feel better. It just sucks when you can't stop coughing and just want to feel better. Do you think I should be okay to go on vacation next weekend?

ocdbaking
15-10-16, 20:06
I would think so - assuming you're not planning on climbing mountains! Relax, take the meds and keep telling yourself that things will improve.

aanns_GAD
15-10-16, 22:29
Haha no mountains! We are going to Disneyland and the beach here in CA. We have been working real hard to make it happen so I got really down on myself when I started getting super sick last weekend.

ocdbaking
16-10-16, 14:07
That sounds like a lovely holiday! If you are still worried in the next couple of days, then ring your doctor and ask if you're ok to go on the holiday. But I still think you will start to feel better in the next few days.

aanns_GAD
17-10-16, 22:13
I am very excited! My hubby planned it for us kind of as a celebration for us working so hard. We are also going to try starting a family next year so this seems like the right October to experience Disney in its Halloween goodness.

I am feeling a bit better I think. I have this lump like feeling in my throats but I'm wondering if it's just because I've been coughing so much for so long. It's worrisome to my health anxiety but I'm trying to ignore it. I woke up a little wheezy today too and that scared me but I'm telling myself it has to do with the healing. I emailed my doc to tell her and she hasn't gotten back to me yet but she didn't seem too concerned when I told her on Saturday that I was still coughing.

ocdbaking
18-10-16, 17:20
Anxiety itself can cause a lump feeling in your throat as well. I endured this symptom for several days when my anxiety peaked a couple of years ago. So you having this sensation would be understandable in the context of anxiety and its rainbow of symptoms.

I think chests have an annoying habit of 'settling' overnight - so the cough/wheeze will probably be worse in the morning for a while. If the doctor isn't concerned, you shouldn't be either (easier said than done, I appreciate!). I guess you need to think that when you are on holiday, you could always see a doctor there if you weren't happy. You won't need to, but I find sometimes giving myself the option makes the anxiety less - if you know what I mean?

aanns_GAD
19-10-16, 03:57
Anxiety symptoms suck so bad.

I slept pretty decent last night which was nice. It took me a couple hours to fall asleep but once I did I was able to rest for about 5 hours or so. I also took an hour nap today laying down flat for the first time in a week and a half so that was lovely haha

My doc requested I come in for a follow up appointment today so I went so she could check me out. She said everything looks good and that I just need to take something for whatever else needs to drain. No signs of infection so no antibiotics. I asked her if she thought it would be safe to go down south and to Disneyland and she said yes. She said she didn't see a problem with it at all. That makes me real excited but also anxious.

I always get anxious when going to the doctors office. Just because it's a germ filled place. Real nervous about catching something else ya know? But this might just be ridiculous. I washed my hands when I got home and changed and so I think I am safe.

I do know what you mean by allowing yourself the permission. A lot of my anxiety I find comes from too much pressure I put on myself.

ocdbaking
19-10-16, 19:29
I'm glad to hear the doctor was happy with how things are going. Every time you start to feel anxious, remember the conversation you had with them!

The pressure we each put on ourselves is ridiculous. I had a long chat with someone I work with and she said I need to give myself permission to feel emotions (I suppress a lot, not exactly the healthiest way to live) and that we are all stronger than we think. I going to keep telling myself this.

Just think how proud of yourself you will be when you get back that you went, and had a good time down there :)

aanns_GAD
22-10-16, 06:02
I am doing my best to remind myself and so is my husband.

I do that too! I have a hard time letting myself feel things haha

I am getting nervous about the drive tomorrow. Its about 6hrs to get there. I still have that lump in throat feeling too.

ocdbaking
22-10-16, 23:20
The lump feeling will go in its own time, when your anxiety decreases. Good luck for the journey - you're going to have a great holiday!

FourRings
23-10-16, 17:20
I believe I went through a period where I got bronchitis almost annually haha. No fun!

However it will pass, just don't push yourself, get some rest, take meds if dr prescribes (if it's bacterial, and not viral) and it will improve!