PDA

View Full Version : The Most Important Thing I Learnt About Anxiety

SLA
16-10-16, 09:27
Hi there, my name is Jason.

Health Anxiety is the big one that keeps rearing its ugly head for me. I think this is because there are so many different conditions, and the brain likes to make sure it's not under threat.

I've struggled with anxiety since I was young, and still do to this day. I've still not gotten around to posting my full story yet, but I will do that soon!

Today I just wanted to share with you an idea I read in a book, which has really helped me manage my anxiety for around 10 years. And that is...

"You Are Not Your Thoughts"

The brain has distinct layers of thought. There is the conscious brain...

That is the part of you that thinks: "Why am I having these thoughts, I don't want to be anxious, I just want to be normal!"

And there is the subconsious that thinks: "Oh god now I have xxxxx, let's check for symptoms..... etc etc"

The subconsious thoughts that pop into our heads our not ours. They are manifestations of our stressed and poorly conditioned brains.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REACT TO THEM!

How many times has a stressing thought popped into your head, and caused you to panic?

For me... loads. I've had panics over heart attacks, concerns over hurting other people... THE WORKS.

But now I realise that not all of the thoughts that pop into my head serve me in a positive way. In fact, lots of them are not helpful at all?

When you take a step back and monitor the thoughts that come into your head, you can start to label them.

"There he goes... my anxious old brain trying to mess things up."

But I don't react to it anymore. And if I do panic slightly, I always talk myself back around.

"You're not falling for this... we have this under control... give it 5 minutes, and we'll be back on track."

So my advice to you is...

Take a step back. Watch the thoughts that manifest themselves in your brain. The ones that you do not consiously choose to have, and ask yourself? "Are these the source of my anxiety?"

If they are, then you can start to manage those thoughts. Change won't happen instantly, but if you can observe these thoughts, and start to filter them out, you can choose not to react to them. And in fact, replace them with thoughts that are goign to help you live a happy and calm life.

I recorded a video of me talking about this subject, and I describe it a bit better than I have done here. It's only around 4 minutes long, so give it a watch, and see if you can relate!

>> The Most Important Thing I Have Learnt About Anxiety (http://bit.ly/2dfFqvb)

No More Panic helped me a lot in 2008, and it was a huge factor in making me realise that I wasn't alone. It single-handledly helped me realise that "Intrusive Thoughts" were a common and normal thing. That gave me so much relief!! I'm hoping to share more of my experiences with anxiety, and managing depression.

And for those people that send me messages asking if I am "cured" I always say no. Because anxiety is an emotion, just like happiness, anger, or love... and its important that we can experience all of lifes emotions.

...but none of them should control our lives!!

Thanks for letting me share this with you! Hope you are well today!

Jason

Primula
16-10-16, 10:41
Great post Jason. I need reminding of these things all the time. I'm going through a period of HA and realised that I've been struggling with my thoughts and trying to change them, this doesn't work for me. I need to remember 'I am not my thoughts' and to just notice them instead of getting into an argument with them. I've also accepted that I'm always going to be triggered with HA but it's how I manage the episodes that will help me. :):)

SLA
16-10-16, 13:34
Thanks Primula!

It can be difficult when you are buried deep in health anxiety to see away out. But you have to start chipping away.

Your brain is hard wired to protect itself, and to spot threats. So it naturally wants to keep you safe. But sometimes it does it at the cost of your quality of life.

So acknowledging fearful thoughts, and allowing them to pass, and not identifying with them will eventually make your brain realise its chasing its own tail.

It does take time, and persistence. But the alternative is chronic stress or drugs!

ServerError
16-10-16, 13:47
This is precisely the kind of thing we need to see more of round here. It's exactly the message anxiety sufferers of all stripes need to read and take on board.

SLA
16-10-16, 15:12
This is precisely the kind of thing we need to see more of round here. It's exactly the message anxiety sufferers of all stripes need to read and take on board.

Wow, that's so kind. Thank you!

That made my day! :D

SLA
17-10-16, 11:58
I've no idea if I posted this in the right section btw. Is there an advice section?

Traceypo
17-10-16, 20:48
Great advice, as someone who has finally recovered these steps were adopted by me in my recovery.
Some days I argued with myself all day but eventually I learnt not to take unhelpful thoughts any further than the initial thought.
Taking back control of your own thoughts is very liberating.

Fishmanpa
17-10-16, 21:19
I've no idea if I posted this in the right section btw. Is there an advice section?

There's a "Top Tips" section but this one should be a sticky post IMO.

Positive thoughts

SLA
17-10-16, 21:40
:blush:

Glad you liked it, and if I helped one person manage their anxiety today it was worth it.

Love you all, good luck. :yesyes:

Lucy1987
18-10-16, 15:10
This really helps, even just stopping for a moment to read seems to calm me down. Thanks.:hugs:

SLA
19-10-16, 17:02
Thank you Lucy. Taking a break to read/do something is a great way to stop the anxiety cycle!

I've had an idea for a book that I am hoping to self-publish on Amazon next year, about ways to beat anxiety.

Just got to break through my procrastination to write it. I can manage anxiety, but procrastination is a whole other ball game!

I'll send you a free copy if when I do. :D

julia
16-01-17, 18:15
Reading this makes so much sense ,as all your comments and advice do, I just need get my head around the fear of dizziness,lightheaded off balance feelings,I know they are irrational,I know everybody has them ,sometimes I'm ok other days I wake fearing them my what ifs kick in and my day starts, I don't even know why I'm so scared of these feelings, I look back and gave had them on and off since 2010,I don't take meds and never have , I just need my anxiety head to listen to my rational head , but I just can't seem to do it I can't flick that light bulb and switch my fear off any ideas would be much appreciated x

SLA
16-01-17, 19:06
So is it just a fear of these sensations rather than actually having them?

Do they stem from an actual time where you had them quite badly?

Wilburis
16-01-17, 21:35
Wise words.

:hugs:

roseanxiety
17-01-17, 00:38
Very helpful post. I am having a bad anxiety day and this made me stop and think. Thank you.

SLA
17-01-17, 10:29
Thank you both. I hope to re-write it a bit better one day, but the sentiment is there.

First thing this morning, my brain went "off on one"

Brain: "This is shit... life isn't going where we want it to... why are we here.... etc."

I took a step back, watched the thoughts for a moment, and then let them go.

Me: "...are we done now? Great. Lets get this show on the road. Life is too short."

There are two distinct layers of thought, and when these two are at conflict, I think that is where anxiety arises.

Everyone has them, and its perfectly normal.