PDA

View Full Version : SEPSIS?

Myranda
16-10-16, 15:26
Hi, I know I've posted a couple threads about my anxiety before but now I'm really scared. I have been dealing with a great deal of health anxiety- that includes the fear of Meningitis and now Sepsis. I am over the fear of Meningitis but now I am scared I have Sepsis.

The past 3 days I haven't really been able to sleep. I feel like something is just on my mind saying, "you're going to die", I'm extremely dizzy and my legs feel wobbly and weak at times. I have a high pulse rate which was 130 this morning (which I sometimes get wit anxiety) and my blood pressure seems fine. I feel like I am not here anymore.

Is this all anxiety or should I be concerned about Sepsis?

SLA
16-10-16, 15:38
If you had sepsis, you would know about it. It's debilitating.

You have anxiety!

Get rest. Eat well and drink well, and it will start to subside.

unsure_about_this
16-10-16, 15:59
agree with SLA you would know, oh boy you would know.

ServerError
16-10-16, 16:08
Sepsis is a bit like being violently assaulted.

1) Impossible not to notice
2) Painful and scary
3) You'd see the evidence very quickly

Kathryn313
16-10-16, 19:09
Am working on a hospital project around sepsis (aware not the best career for someone with HA) from what you have said you don't have it.

axolotl
16-10-16, 19:28
With respect, no you shouldn't be worried about sepsis, to me that seems like a bit of a weird leap of logic from your symptoms. There's nothing you have said that would convince anyone you've got anything other than a mix of anxiety and a normal cold, and it sounds like you've seen a doctor a few times - unless they've got a fake certificate on their wall they'll know the difference between a cold and something nasty. ;)

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Sefton
16-10-16, 20:42
I know two people who died of sepsis. In both cases it was very, very swift. Went from feeling slightly unwell to being admitted to hospital within 12 hours because they became so unwell so quickly. I think you'd know about it by now if you had Sepsis.

I don't mean to frighten anyone - I know I'm easily spooked health wise, but with both of my friends, their health deteriorated alarmingly fast.

dale12345
16-10-16, 22:36
sepsis is actually very rare.

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:31 ----------

Sepsis is a bit like being violently assaulted.

1) Impossible not to notice
2) Painful and scary
3) You'd see the evidence very quickly

I worked in a nursing home saw it there , now these were old people who were got sick very easy, but SeverError is right you would know.

Mrschurchill
16-10-16, 22:50
Agree as above - sepsis is down to hours or even sometimes minutes. You would 100% not have it for a couple of days and not be dead by now!

Myranda
16-10-16, 22:51
Can't it develop though into septic shock? I keep looking up the symptoms and freaking myself out more looking up that stuff.

dale12345
16-10-16, 22:56
you would know

Mrschurchill
17-10-16, 10:46
A paper cut can develop into Sepsis....

dale12345
21-10-16, 00:26
A paper cut can develop into Sepsis....

That would be very rare!!

hanshan
21-10-16, 04:10
Septic shock is the last stage of sepsis, when the body's organs start shutting down. Progression can be rapid, and you are way too sick to be looking up symptoms on the internet.

Sepsis is definitely something to be aware of, but it's a rapid killer - not something for health anxiety sufferers to fret over for weeks, months or years.

Kathryn313
21-10-16, 07:22
Why are you still looking it up?

Mrschurchill
21-10-16, 09:50
That would be very rare!!

Yes it would be, but the smallest cut on your body can get infected and thus develop into Sepsis.

The point I am making is, you can't live your life being scared of every papercut!

Mercime
21-10-16, 10:27
Yes it would be, but the smallest cut on your body can get infected and thus develop into Sepsis.

The point I am making is, you can't live your life being scared of every papercut!

Some would!:unsure:

Mrschurchill
21-10-16, 10:31
I know... papercuts don't scare me, but I suppose I am scared of any physical symptom I can't explain! If I cut myself, or even broke my leg or arm, I wouldn't be worried as I know why I am feeling the pain I am feeling.
Does that make sense?
I completely understand that there are people who can see a cut as a progression onto something worse. Amazing how HA affects people differently!

hanshan
21-10-16, 10:32
The point to be taken here is that sepsis doesn't appear from nowhere - it develops from an infection that probably would have been noticed. A papercut, even with some inflammation, isn't equal to an infection.

Also, although people of all ages can develop sepsis, it is much more likely among the very young and the very old. Some other groups, such as burn victims, new mothers, and others are also at greater risk. But if you are a young, healthy adult, your risk profile is low.

MyNameIsTerry
21-10-16, 11:10

The only paper cut I would worry about would be if Steven Seagal inflicted it upon me! :scared15:

All good points on this thread.

dale12345
21-10-16, 18:44

Sorry miss understood, my apologies.