PDA

View Full Version : Neck cracking = Stroke?

gatsby12
16-10-16, 23:49
My neck has been very tense from anxiety and bad posture. I hear you can tear an artery and give yourself a stroke from cracking it and this is scaring me. Anyone else with this?

KatiePink
16-10-16, 23:52
My neck has been very tense from anxiety and bad posture. I hear you can tear an artery and give yourself a stroke from cracking it and this is scaring me. Anyone else with this?

Oh dear I hope not, my neck tension is severe, I don't crack it but it crunches sometimes when I turn!

Catherine S
17-10-16, 00:14
I think loads of anxious people experience this through having tense muscles, but it's extremely rare for this to result in triggering something like a stroke. It's just another sign that we who have health anxiety can latch onto more or less any symptom we read about and make it our own :D

I recommend a relaxing neck and head massage and you'll feel so much better.

ISB x

gatsby12
17-10-16, 00:48
Thanks guys. I am guessing really I'd need to do it very suddenly and violently to rupture anything but it's still scary as hell.

Mrschurchill
17-10-16, 10:45
I crack my neck about once an hour and even people sitting beside me can hear it! Pops really loud!

Lucinda07
17-10-16, 10:45
I believe that this can only happen with Extreme over exertion when exercising.

MyNameIsTerry
17-10-16, 11:27
Well that would put the chiropractors out of business!

Remember Jacob's Ladder?

Didn't we used to have that old urban myth about cracking your knuckles leads to arthritis in old age?

gatsby12
19-10-16, 01:19
Just turned around and I heard two loud cracks. Yikes.

Lukas
19-10-16, 01:42
I sleep with three-four pillows so my neck is always stiff, I crack it a ton and apart from getting cramp in it one time(my own incompetence I couldn't work the next day oops) I'm perfectly fine in fact my family believes cracking bones and muscles are actually good for you as it exercises something stiff x