PDA

View Full Version : How do you ask for CBT

normalwisdom
01-04-07, 01:01
Hi I am going to see my doctor on Monday to ask about CBT....how do I go about this? He has been very good to me and has seen me through some bad times but seems quite "old school":wacko: The last time I tried to explain to a doctor how I was feeling he put me on anti-depressants, which I do not want to go on again....not the same doctor a junior one in the practice. I really don't want to go back on to tablets as they messed me up more I think...shall I just go there and "confess all" don't know how to put it:blush: . It makes me feel such a failure saying certain things like I can't cope feel nervy again feel out of control. I am coping a lot better that the last time just don't want to go back to where I was again.

I think the problem is driving again....hated it before don't like it much more now and eating out it really upsets hubby that I can't do it! I think CBT is the answer I know it may not help but at the moment will try anything!

domino
01-04-07, 01:42
:flowers: Hi steph, good morning to you, i,m up at this ungodly hour too.:) well i would write down all the things you are feeling , so you do,nt forget ,nothing worse than when you leave the surgery you forgot to mention this and that.Ihear cbt is very good, but the waiting can be fustrating, if that ,s the way forward for you go for it.mention this to your g.p., he /she will refer you to the "programe" Do,nt be put off, do,nt settle for less. let us know how you get on on monday. P.s. are you able to come to trentham grds on the 22april, for a meet up, if you are i will look forward to meeting you .xx

nomorepanic
01-04-07, 13:34
Steph

There are two approaches here - I have done both.

The first time I got it I went in and cried and said that he had to get me some help before I got worse and went mad. That worked and I was referred for some counselling.

The last time (last year) I went in and said that I wanted some CBT and needed him to refer me etc. This time I was more positive and told HIM what I wanted and he didn't seem to mind me being forceful and again referred me on (this time I got it privately but still had to get the agreement from the doctor that I actually needed it and it would help me).

Certainly tell him that you are on this site and know a bit about CBT and are sure it will help you so would like a referral.

Good luck.

normalwisdom
02-04-07, 18:55
Well I went to the doctors!!!!:weep: I explained that I was feeling a bit nervy again and not wanting to eat out etc and that it was affecting my "social life" (like I have one:winks: ). Straight away he started clicking the computer to put me back on Citalopram!!!! I said hold on what about alternatives??? He said well you already have had councelling with our practise coucellor how did that go? I said it was fine but she was very general.....not specific to my problems. I said what do you think of CBT, he said he didn't know much about it but when he has referred people to the local health authority they have just been sent back to the councellor I have already seen!

He also said there was a long wait:ohmy: what a suprise! Anyway I said that I don't mind paying and he is going to look in to it for me and phone me later in the week!!!!

So I came away "with" my tablets coz at the moment I need something........I used alcohol before:blush: don't want to go down that route again!!!

So half way there....the fact that I was highly anx at the time and wanting to cry I just wanted to get out of there.....I had to go back to work after and didn't want to look a state!!:blush:

So I am now very very tired because I took my first tablet this morning....ah well that my life today...sorry for going on:blush:

BTW WOO HOO I GOT TICKETS FOR GLASTO:yesyes: :shades: :yesyes:

sarah1984
04-04-07, 15:33
Hi Steph!
What a useless doc-I think some of them are all to quick to palm people off with meds without probing any deeper for the source of the problem. CBT waiting lists are notoriously long on the NHS-about six months or more. However, they are meant to be starting providing CBT online soon which is something to look out for. A lot of CBT is pretty self-explanatory-there are good books out in the shop that you can use yourself to get started. I recommend anything by David Burns, The Worry Cure by Robert Leahy and the classic textbook, Mind over Mood by Christine Padesky, which was recommended by my therapist. Most of the sessions are patient-led, the therapist is just there to guide you through it. If you are thinking of going private, check on the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies website: www.babcp.com (http://www.babcp.com) for reputable and registered therapists in your area. Beware of looking in the Yellow Pages-anyone can set themselves up as a therapist, so you want someone who's properly qualified. Expect prices to be high - about £50 plus a session and they normally advise you to go for 8 to 10 sessions.
Good luck!

normalwisdom
06-04-07, 11:18
Thanks for that Sarah I am doing ok at the moment not too many side effects....yet....just feel really tired at the moment. I will definately press on with getting the cbt I have found a lady near me who does it and will enquire after the hols. I really don't mind paying to go private as I have really had enough now and am willing to try anything....within reason:blush: .

Thanks again will look into those books too:yesyes:

normalwisdom
21-04-07, 20:50
I had a phone call yesterday have been passed on to my local cmht! they are going to "assess" me and go from there I am not holding out much hope because of what my doc said before! I suppose he is doing something! I will just have to make it worse than it is I suppose lol:blush: because I am getting better at the moment but just don't want a relapse....which happens every now and again!!!:ohmy: . I just would love to be "normal" I suppose whatever that is!