View Full Version : Short of breath

Marie2016
18-10-16, 17:12
Does anyone struggle with breathlessness? I seem to have it on and off and sometimes even when I'm not having a panic attack but it does seem to lead to a panic attack. I'm wondering whether noticing it is causing the attacks or if it's just the first signs of one coming anyway.
I do smoke but not much, 5 or less a day and trying to cut down.

Is this caused by anxiety?

Pepperpot
18-10-16, 17:55
Yeah it can be caused by anxiety. I get breathless for no reason, then I think bout why Im breathless, then I panic, then I get even worse

Super_Freaked
18-10-16, 21:07
yes for sure it can. I have been reading lots on here as I am just realizing that perhaps years of this trouble on and off was just my anxiety doing this. Smoking can really cause your anxiety to get worse too, it's up and down for your body and always doing something you feel guilty about. It's time to quit completely if you ask me. I just did it recently and it was easier than i thought.

Marie2016
18-10-16, 21:20
Thanks for the replies, I have noticed that if I stop thinking about it then it goes away so I guess it's just another one of those lovely anxiety symptoms! As far as smoking goes I definately plan on stopping soon, I've stopped before so I know it's not too hard and will be beneficial in many ways! It does make anxiety worse for sure, I know not to smoke if I already feel anxious because it always makes me worse.

Super_Freaked
18-10-16, 21:27
yes if it goes away when you forget about it, that i would say it is for sure just anxiety. If you haven't read lots of a hyperventilation syndrome or how disorganized breathe than you might be interested in that. Iit's possible once you think of your lungs you start taking to deep of breaths and then you feel short of air because what is actually happening is your body has not enough CO2. Try to breathe threw your nose only when this happens and make sure your exhales last longer than the inhale..

Marie2016
19-10-16, 15:12
Thanks, I'll be sure to try that next time :)

xBettyBoopx
20-10-16, 22:09
Hi Marie

I have this breathlessness, short of breath, whatever you call it! Anxiety causes it. Like you said if you stop thinking about it, it goes away.

This symptom pretty much started off all the anxiety that I have had over the years, yes it can lead to a panic attack but not always. We tend to think that our bodies act in exactly the same way all the time, but they don't.

There are breathing techniques that you can do. To be honest I find that they can sometimes hinder me rather than help but not always!

Take care
Elspeth