PDA

View Full Version : Prednisone Red Hot face?

thomas1998
19-10-16, 00:27
I've just been started on a new prevention asthma inhaler + 30mg/day of prednisone (6 x 5mg tablets), I have to take them for a week. I took them around noon today and right now (12 hours later) it feels like my cheeks are burning. My forehead isn't that hot, neither is my neck, but my cheeks were red hot to the touch and slightly flushed, I had to go outside, drink a few glasses of water and literally dab myself with a freezing cold cloth.

Is this common with oral steroid use, should I be concerned?

Shazamataz
19-10-16, 02:34
Prednisone can make you feel quite hot and bothered. It will probably make you more anxious as well. It makes me really on edge.

MyNameIsTerry
19-10-16, 06:09
It does have side effects listed for flushing, hives, rashes, sweating, etc.

If it affects your breathing, and because you have asthma with a recent change in treatment, it would be sensible to seek advice.

If you get swelling in your face, throat, etc then also ask as that can also point to an allergic reaction however if you haven't had that straight away I doubt you will now.

My mum has used it many times and she suffers a lot of swelling, rash issues due to her blood pressure meds. Sometimes it aggravates them and she needs to counter it with creams.

Mercime
19-10-16, 07:42
I agree that it can cause quite a few weird and wonderful side effects, including a definite "hyped" sensation, feeling hot and achy limbs are common too. I'd agree that if you're really worried then get some advice, but it's highly unlikely to cause any allergic type reaction. It's the usual med of choice when there is an exacerbation of asthma as it reduces inflammation quickly, in this case the small air passages in the lungs that become narrowed.

Make sure you drink plenty of fluids, it does help, and take them with meals (or as close to eating as you can).

MyNameIsTerry
19-10-16, 07:47
Yep, I agree with Mercime on that. I've had asthma for about 30 years, my mum's had it about 20 I think. Both of us have been that when we've had chest infections at some point.

I agree that allergic reaction is very very unlikely and to be honest, you would have had it by now.

My GF has asthma and she has had to switch Preventers before due to the jitteriness they can cause. I tend to get it more with Relievers like Salamol rather than my Qvar.

When I was really bad with anxiety, even these inhalers made me jumpy. They are well known to cause jitteriness in some cases and that's an anxiety/panic symptom so you may even latch onto it and make yourself feel worse (so try to ignore it, it usually passes after a short period of time).

thomas1998
19-10-16, 21:10
Thanks everyone for the comments, my new reliever is Salamol aswell so I'll watch out for that, I haven't needed it yet though, the steroids and new preventer seem to be making a huge difference.[COLOR="blue"][COLOR="blue"]

---------- Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 20:23 ----------

Having stomach pains and some weakness in my legs today, this is only day 2 on 30mg/day, but I did have issues similar to this a month ago. Could this be the steroids or a returning problem?